Reenactment Safe M24 Grenade

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Dannyboy827

Reenactment Safe M24 Grenade

Post by Dannyboy827 » 01 May 2014, 23:43

Hello, this is my first post but I have been coming here for a couple of years ever since a good friend got me into reenacting. One of the things I noticed at my first reenactment was how scarce grenades were for us Germans. We can't use metal and wood reproductions because they could hurt someone when thrown. The ones I did see looked like they were carved out of a styrofoam cooler and were so light they couldn't be thrown into the wind.
So, I started a project a few months ago to make M24 grenades that would look authentic and be usable and safe for reenactments. I have been experimenting with different weights and foams and I think I might have a winning combination. What I have come up with is a foam that is light but hard enough to be tucked into a belt and thrown without breaking too easily. I use a slightly weighted dowel to reinforce and to give a more accurate balance for a better throw. It has been difficult in balancing safety with utility but I think I have found it at 2 1/2 ounces with the majority of the weight towards the top of the grenade.
I would appreciate any input from anyone who has used foam grenades before or if you have any ideas that I maybe haven't thought about.
Thanks in advance,
Danny

Dannyboy827

Re: Reenactment Safe M24 Grenade

Post by Dannyboy827 » 06 May 2014, 08:05

Here's some pictures of what I have done so far. It is a slightly tedious process in making them one at a time by hand but I am pleased with how they are turning out. Before painting one I tried throwing it around in the backyard and they throw quite well.
At a distance they are virtually indistinguishable from a real one. What do you guys think?
Attachments
4.JPG
4.JPG (31.45 KiB) Viewed 931 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (26.07 KiB) Viewed 931 times
2.JPG
1.JPG

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 09 May 2014, 01:56

Great job- looks awesome! :thumbsup:
Member of Kampfgruppe Haase, reenacting WW2 History for over 30 years: http://www.soldaten.ca

Dannyboy827

Post by Dannyboy827 » 28 May 2014, 06:19

Here's a demonstration video of my grenades:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoZ_txSocyA

Return to “Reenactment”