Norwegian SS under the Quisling regime

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Haakon Asbjornsen

Norwegian SS under the Quisling regime

Post by Haakon Asbjornsen » 12 Jul 2015, 00:44

Hello Folks!

I am new to the forum and I wanted to share with you my idea of reenacting as a Norwegian SS physician under the quisling regime. When I say physician I do not mean doctors like Mengele an and Hoven, I am wanting to portray a doctor who be doing what doctors do, preforming examinantions on SS personnel and their families, Delivering SS Babies, Performing surgeries, ect. I am curious about what my kit would look like.

Thanks for all the help!

Haakon

Patches

Re: Norwegian SS under the Quisling regime

Post by Patches » 12 Jul 2015, 06:54

Haakon Asbjornsen wrote:Hello Folks!

I am new to the forum and I wanted to share with you my idea of reenacting as a Norwegian SS physician under the quisling regime. When I say physician I do not mean doctors like Mengele an and Hoven, I am wanting to portray a doctor who be doing what doctors do, preforming examinantions on SS personnel and their families, Delivering SS Babies, Performing surgeries, ect. I am curious about what my kit would look like.

Thanks for all the help!

Haakon
When you say Norwegian SS, do you mean the Norwegian volunteers to the German Waffen-SS? If so then a Norwegian physician would wear a field gray Waffen-SS uniform with Waffen-SS insignia and the insignia of the Norwegian Legion or its subsequent formations (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Legion). Lots of examples of their uniforms and insignia are available on line.

On the other hand, since you don't mention a combat assignment you may mean the Germanske SS Norge. There existed the Norges SS (founded 1941) and Germanske SS Norge (re-founded 1942) which was the Norwegian equivalent of the German Allgemeine-SS (noted for their black uniforms with a swastika armband) and they were not combat units. The Germanske SS Norge was an element of the Nasjonal Samling, the Norwegian Nazi Party headed by Quisling. Further information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanske_SS_Norge, http://www.nuav.net/norwSS.html.

To confuse matters even more, numerous members of the Germanske SS Norge were also members of the Norwegian volunteer units of the Waffen-SS!

The Germanske SS Norge was quite small (I believe around 1,000 members, perhaps more and it is possible that no physicians belonged to it, may be a subject worthy of further research) compared to the German Allegemine SS, and the Norwegians wore a black uniform similar to their German counterparts. The first group of members wore German Waffen-SS field gray uniforms, which were replaced by the black service uniform seen below:

A doctor would almost certainly be an officer while the uniform shown above is for a sergeant. Officers uniforms had silver trim in place of the black and white twisted trim and an officer shoulder board denoting their rank. A doctor also might wear a medical insignia on their sleeve as the German SS did. Also note the cufftitles:

Return to “Reenactment”