advice re a German tunic for a boy

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
Biber

advice re a German tunic for a boy

Post by Biber » 27 Jun 2016, 20:26

We are looking toward a National History day project my son wants to do when he enters sixth grade in the fall. His project is a performance as Motele Schlein, a 12 year old Ukranian partisan - the story is related in of the Violins of Hope project. The story relates how Motele was conscripted to play violin in an officers club, for which the German commandant had a uniform and cap made for Motele. Any suggestions as to a source for a boys sized tunic? Probably an SS M43 tunic. Preferably inexpensive, REALLY inexpensive. What would be readily available and easily adaptable?

I appreciate any insight anyone can lend.

Totenkamp

Re: advice re a German tunic for a boy

Post by Totenkamp » 09 Jul 2016, 22:57

You're likely not going to find one too inexpensive for what you're wanting. The best advice I could give you is to go on www.gavinmilitaria.com Their uniforms are pretty cheap, and they have a custom tailoring size option for only 8$ more per item.

Biber

Post by Biber » 11 Jul 2016, 16:20

Thank you, that's the best price that I've seen yet.

Still exploring all options at this point. I'm hoping we don't have to go that far as we certainly don't need historical accuracy - innards and all- it just has to look (reasonably so) the part. I've even looked into Swedish tunics for a conversion.

shamirnewell

Post by shamirnewell » 11 Jul 2016, 16:49

If he is large for his age maybe go with an East German surplus tunic! Historical accuracy is not critical you just want a "German" looking uniform

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... aQodfKoDxQ

Biber

Post by Biber » 11 Jul 2016, 17:06

Yes, I've considered East German Surplus as well, and hope to eventually get one in hand to see if it'll be suitable/adaptable for our needs. My preference is still with an enlisted M36/40 wool tunic look rather than the "officer's" look that the East German tunic gives. The story that we are working with is that the young partisan boy, after he was conscripted by the German officer to play violin in the officer's club, was told to go to the officer's office one morning, where he was met by a tailor who was to make a uniform for the young boy. My take on this is that the boy, despite the involvement of a 'tailor" was basically put into a modified (cut down/re-sized) enlisted man's tunic. I certainly don't see a German officer investing the effort on anything of any extraordinary quality for a 12 year old Ukrainian boy simply to entertain other officers. Perhaps I'm being a bit pedantic about it, but we're not at the point of having to making do with whatever, so I can be at this point.

Return to “Reenactment”