AGP - Heer Basic Fieldgear

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
egon

Post by egon » 31 May 2006, 11:02

Ryan94 wrote:Nice! :) Those whole AGP project is just great...

But one question, at the new page with the gear part, is the M40 field cap called "Oversea Cap" or "OverseaS cap"? ;)

I'm not sure, but I believe it's overseas...

Bye, David
David
As pointed out by Jeremy Chan, it is neither oversea nor overseas cap (an American term for their 'sidecap'). The cap you enquired about, the "M40" is not actually a Heer item, but is the Waffen-SS wartime sidecap. The cap in the photo is a Heer "M42", midwar cap, which was indeed called the feldmutze.

The common wartime sidecaps of the Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS.

HEER M34...... 'schiffchen'
LUFTWAFFE M35...... 'fliegermutze'
WAFFEN-SS M37 ............ 'feldmutze'
KRIEGSMARINE M38 ...... 'bordmutze'
WAFFEN-SS M40 ................... 'schiffchen'
HEER M42 ................... 'feldmutze'

Though they were all referred to as 'feldmutze', as a generic term.

Davor

Post by Davor » 20 Aug 2007, 18:57

which is the use for the gas cape bag? wouldn't be better carrying your socks inside the bread bag instead of inside the gas mask container? are you supposed to carry only bread and biscuits inside it? and I suppose that the bayonet must be with the entrenching tool

Jager_Lang

Post by Jager_Lang » 01 Sep 2007, 19:39

Davor wrote:which is the use for the gas cape bag? wouldn't be better carrying your socks inside the bread bag instead of inside the gas mask container? are you supposed to carry only bread and biscuits inside it? and I suppose that the bayonet must be with the entrenching tool
Gas cape bag- obviously contains the gas cape, a large chemicaly treated sheet of paper meant to cover the soldier in the unlikely event of a chemical weapons attack.

The gas mask cannister was meant to carry the gas mask, but after about 1941, the soldiers wised up to the fact that they wouldnt see any of the WWI style gas attacks. As a result, most of the personal level anti-gas equipment ended up being used for everything but their intended use. Luftwaffe troops used the decontamination tablets to bleach out their caps and the little plastic containers to keep their cigarettes dry. Anyway, a lot of the soldiers began stowing their gas masks in their rucks (not water proof) and used the cannisters to protect more "important" items. I've heard of them being used to carry everything from beer bottles to sweaters to chicken eggs. Dry socks are important to a soldier and a couple pair will fit in the cannister, even with the mask inside.

The bread bag is an all purpose bag a lot like the US mussette bag. On the outer flap the soldier strapped on his canteen and mess tin (ideally containing whatever had been ladled out of the field kitchen that morning). The inside held the emergency half ration and rifle cleaning kit if he wasn't issued an assult frame/bag. Other likely items could include the butter dish and othe cooking/eating items, foraged food items, toiletries, extra ammunition, etc.... essentially anything needed on a regular basis, as opposed to the rucksack, meant to contain extra clothing, a blanket, etc...

The proscribed position for the bayonet for a standard rifleman is over and through the spade carrier. Period photos show that a lot of mechanized infantry as well as artillery/flak crewman went without the spades as these were easily accessable from the trucks if needed.

Toivo

Post by Toivo » 02 Sep 2007, 10:00

What about bekleidungs tasche/clothing bag then? Wasn't it supposed to contain extra clothing?

Jager_Lang

Post by Jager_Lang » 02 Sep 2007, 19:03

Toivo wrote:What about bekleidungs tasche/clothing bag then? Wasn't it supposed to contain extra clothing?
Yes it was. One was issued to troops with a rucksack, two were meant to be issued to those who were not issue rucksacks. However, as anyone who has ever tried to pack them knows, they will hold more than you think, but that still isn't very much.

Shane

cruff

Post by cruff » 07 Oct 2007, 19:25

Yes the side-cap, what I've always called it is known as an over-seas cap by the Americans ever since WWI when the doughboys donned similar caps when over the sea in France. There are definately many different gear configurations and types possible. There are stitched and rivited ammo pouches, different types of breadbags and on and on! Chris

Johnny_Blaze

Post by Johnny_Blaze » 15 Jan 2008, 19:28

When did soldiers wear an assault pack bag? While traveling only? Seems to me these weren't meant to be taken into battle. They already had enough crap strapped on to be carrying a spare shirt, esbit stove, cleaning kit, etc.

Jager_Lang

Post by Jager_Lang » 16 Jan 2008, 06:00

Johnny_Blaze wrote:When did soldiers wear an assault pack bag? While traveling only? Seems to me these weren't meant to be taken into battle. They already had enough crap strapped on to be carrying a spare shirt, esbit stove, cleaning kit, etc.
If issued, they were worn in combat to store a "easily acessable" but seperate emergency supply. Its intended contents were a sweater, the half portion can, and the rifle cleaning kit. With the exception of the cleaning kit, the other items weren't meant to be used except in extreme circumstances, the kind seldom seen outside of combat. The difficulty found in packing the relatively tiny bag discouraged the use of it's contents when not absolutely necessary.

Shane

Satter

Re: AGP - Heer Basic Fieldgear

Post by Satter » 26 Oct 2015, 05:06

Man, we wear a lot of *.

Return to “Reenactment”