harriet's m36 (sorta) feldbluse pattern accuracy

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
moses

Post by moses » 22 Aug 2006, 00:34

i have their trouser patterns but i haven't really looked over them or done anything with them yet. i'm sorry to say i've fallen behind on my feldbluse patterns, and the progress is very slow. so many other projects going on. (restoring 1955 motorcycle, rebuilding 1896 piano, several other german hats) altering patterns as large as a jacket is proving quite problematic for me.

Daviken, on the other hand, is quite far ahead of me and is already making several different models of his own feldbluse. you should be able to see a few of his threads here if you look around.

my suspicion is that the trouser patterns will also be a bit off, but since it's a lot less complicated, with fewer parts, than the feldbluse, the patterns may be workable. (the harriets pre-44 feldbluse patterns, out of the box, are not)

Dare Furor

Harriet's Pattern Trousers

Post by Dare Furor » 22 Aug 2006, 22:46

I'm interested in the trousers as well; I want to make a pair of leather U-Boot pants. Please keep me posted.

Cheers,

Dare Furor

odinfish

Post by odinfish » 05 Sep 2006, 22:20

Thanks for the update Moses...hopefully you'll find the time to get to it sooner than later :)

Dare Furor, which trousers do you plan to make, the leathers? If so, then are the patterns the same?

Conley

Post by Conley » 13 Sep 2006, 23:55

Moses - I think - you need to - come out with your own Line of Patterns :idea:

Dare Furor

Post by Dare Furor » 16 Sep 2006, 03:44

odinfish wrote:...

Dare Furor, which trousers do you plan to make, the leathers? If so, then are the patterns the same?
I'm not sure. They look the same as the 1937 pattern. And the vendors out there are getting their patterns from somewhere.

I was hoping someone out there might be able to help before I start cutting leather.

I often wonder how many "reputable" dealers get their stock from "Hong Kong Keith."

I also stopped by a nearby surplus store and got a K-98 ammo pouch in very good condtion: good enough to take apart and make a pattern. I've done this enough that I know:
1) There is a sequence by which an item is assembled
2) It's important to know that sequence.
3) I have to pay attention to the manner in which I dis-assemble an item in order to understand how to assemble it properly.
4) I probably won't get it right the first time.
5) Don't dis-assemble anything until I'm ready to copy the pattern and try to re-assemble it.

Right now I'm trying to make an M-41 DAK-type cap. We'll see how that goes.

Halali!

Dare Furor
( :lol: :lol: :lol: )

odinfish

Post by odinfish » 16 Sep 2006, 05:15

...vendors out there are getting their patterns from somewhere.

I was hoping someone out there might be able to help before I start cutting leather.
Same here...i'm a complete novice when it comes to leather. Actually I'm in the middle of a project using Tandy's Plainsman Boot pattern just to get some practice and get geared up for the Ren Faire at the same time. :)
I also stopped by a nearby surplus store and got a K-98 ammo pouch in very good condtion: good enough to take apart and make a pattern.
Any chance of you posting these results?

Kuso

feldbluse

Post by Kuso » 16 Nov 2006, 22:37

can someone please send me a sewing pattern for m40, i went on a sewing course and would like to try to make one. We are trying to make a reanacment club in Croatia. Help please!!!

pzrwest

Post by pzrwest » 17 Nov 2006, 00:19

you can get the trouser patterns and tunic patterns here they will need some work done to make them more accurate http://www.harriets.com/wwiipatterns.htm

Conley

Post by Conley » 19 Nov 2006, 22:15

Moses - I think - you need to - come out with your own Line of Patterns :idea: - Harriets patterns - I think for the price - are a rip off ! :x - look at the price of the patterns that you still have to fix them to make them right - and SHE Knows it :x

BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian » 21 Nov 2006, 04:13

This is a very interesting thread. Has anyone who's ordered patterns offered Harriet's an edited / corrected version for sale? I'm sure there may be people out there who are buying them who don't know that they are wrong - and who aren't on this forum. So maybe it would be helpful if we could help Harriets' improve them.

pzrwest

Post by pzrwest » 21 Nov 2006, 04:41

Altering someones patterns and then offerring then for sale may be a copywrite infringment. It's a different matter if someone corrected the finished produce and then showed what they did to the final product. There is a simple sollution to the problem expensive but simple. 1st you buy either a tunic or trousers than carefully disassemble the item draw up patterns from the pieces then with the aid of a competent tailor have the pattern altered to accomodate the different sizes. There are original tunics and trousers that are in sad shape out there that could be used for disassembly.

daviken

Post by daviken » 21 Nov 2006, 19:32

Pzwest is right, but another problem is the sizes. The german got more than 20 different sizes of Blusen to equip the troops, and I am not kidding!
The best way to reproduce Fieldblusen is to design the pattern as an architect : on paper.
To do it of course you need to know how works the rules to design german uniform.
Last week I design a pattern for a friend of mine, it is a size 100 for a men about 168/172cm. I cannot use this pattern for a man smaller or taller, proportion will out!
The only way to do it is to possess the right patterns and/or teh tailor books from the 30's.
I got it ,but as you can imagine it is not so simple to find!

My last found was last week : complette pattern of SA uniform (size 36 to 60!)

PS : I have Harriet stuff at home : it is totaly wrong , absolute no rules of construction are followed...

BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian » 22 Nov 2006, 10:04

Altering someones patterns and then offerring then for sale may be a copywrite infringment.
I think this was a reply to my post. I didn't mean that someone should alter the patterns and then offer them for sale, but rather to alter the patterns and see whether Harriet's would be interested in the corrected patterns so they can produce corrected patterns for re-enactor use. It seems to me that it would benefit the overall hobby if we were able to get Harriet's to carry patterns that hold up to authenticity standards, especially since some people who purchase them probably have no idea that they are wrong.
The only way to do it is to possess the right patterns and/or teh tailor books from the 30's. I got it ,but as you can imagine it is not so simple to find! My last found was last week : complette pattern of SA uniform (size 36 to 60!)
That's awesome! :) Congratulations on finding the SA uniform patterns.

Conley

Post by Conley » 22 Nov 2006, 15:29

I hope no one takes this wrong - 1st. I have personally spoke to Harriet on the phone about this - years ago - Here Reply - "Oh Well" - thy can fix them ! I offer a common pattern . As myself -have purchased patterns from her - ( I will never do that again ) a waste of money . Yes you can use here patters as a base for improved on the patterns ,with out copywriter infringement as in a Patton you make it as an rider on the Patton and it is yours - Ask an Patton Attorney . / Ok -on side not - to save on making a lot of paper patterns . You tale you original paper pattern and copy it -to a series of 8 1/2 X 11 -make a grid if you will as to print off - page # 1 -top - etc - then make a PDF file of them - you can email or place on a CD - as to print - "Trick", Taught to me by the Japanese as to send patterns . Saves Time and Money ./ Hope you understand what I am talking about . Thank You, Conley

das gewehr

Re: harriet's m36 (sorta) feldbluse pattern accuracy

Post by das gewehr » 02 Mar 2014, 08:05

Hello everyone. I am writing from Argentina. I'm trying to do my Feldbluse m36, and your comments have helped me a lot. I hope that this topic still alive. As I can do to help me finish my Feldbluse? Thank you very much.

Return to “Reenactment”