Illegal Firearms & Destructive Devices

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
pzrwest

still dangerous

Post by pzrwest » 06 Jun 2006, 02:07

Ok let me propose a scenario.... you pull the cord the fuse lites you throw it and it lands in the grass but there is a guy there concealed, the ducktape end is pointed toward his face and wham it goes off can you see what I'm getting at? Face burns may even blind the person. Experts carefully plan these things with experienced stunt persons

jugendkrieger

Post by jugendkrieger » 06 Jun 2006, 03:48

:)
Last edited by jugendkrieger on 13 Jun 2006, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 06 Jun 2006, 05:01

No kidding, this is TOTALLY unsafe. Some years ago while in college I was off on a weekend with a bunch of friends etc on a beach in Mexico. Two of the guys present had brought a length of PVC pipe and were shooting sky rockets out of it. One of these, with just a small powder charge, went off in the tube prematurely. The guy holding the tube received over 300 stitches, was hospitalized and, took over 6 months to recover.
This also "fragged" everyone for a radius of like 10 yards or more. One girl had several fragments requiring removal and stitches as did three or four other people. It also shredded several tents and damaged a couple of vehicles. All this from a small firework.
Dumb, dumb, dumb....

jugendkrieger

Post by jugendkrieger » 06 Jun 2006, 05:58

:)
Last edited by jugendkrieger on 13 Jun 2006, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.

Von Schwerin

Post by Von Schwerin » 06 Jun 2006, 16:23

I did say...............................

Can we actually have a moratorium on boom and bang threads?
I know I've been instrumental in some of these in the past but I am - as Harold says - an experienced pereson who has access to lots of knowledge and facilities.... Even we at the facility do not just turn a dream into reality and lob them about. We comprehensively test these things and then they are submitted to the authorities after much paperwork for their approval. Some of our devices do not gain approval so MUST be scrapped..... Where they DO get through, they are accompanied by a method report and useage guidelines..... If these are ignored we are liable.

I know bangs are fascinating and people love tinkering. But we are not playing with Jello here boys.... I'm happy to correspond in PMs with someone with a genuine interest - I will NEVER give out recipies or ingredients for compounds and mixtures. I will never advise you to use these things untested and uncertified...... Remember - lots of people read this forum and some are unstable, some are criminal and some are law enforcement agency employees etc. The vast majority are decent law aboiding citizens..... but do you really want to open your morning paper and read that some freak bombed a mall using a device/recipe gleaned from the AHF? Let's lessen the chances eh?

I call for a self imposed cessation of posting pyrotechnic/explosive/SFX threads in an effort to project a responsible attitude. There are after all pyrotechnic forums where you can go and actually learn from people.... and be registered. If you're open and honest you don't mind giving your details.....

For my part I will no longer give any public help or advice on here save warning of the dangers.... So don't think me negative guys - I just don't want to see anyone lose fingers, eyes or even hair..... It's not pretty - I've seen some of the injuries....

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 06 Jun 2006, 16:54

V.Schwerin: I concur, the thread had been locked and pulled this morning in regards to matters regarding the sticky i'm now posting in.

Gents- please read this sticky, instead of just adding on to it or posting new threads on 'explosives' etc. I honestly, am to the point where I don't care how honest anyone's intentions are. Keep it safe, and re-read the beginning of this sticky.

Johnny_Blaze

Post by Johnny_Blaze » 04 Oct 2007, 17:53

Oh c'mon. Let them try the stuff out. Nothing wrong with a little "Natural Selection". Keeps the herd strong...

Erwinfoxjj

Re: Illegal Firearms & Destructive Devices

Post by Erwinfoxjj » 14 Dec 2010, 07:56

Anything that launches has the potential to be dangerous. My unit uses two fausts that have been through the ringer for safety but we still note that anything that launches can be dangerous. Our mortars we also know are dangerous and they go through strict safety inspections as do the fake rounds. We make sure no shrapnel hits anyone. We have decided to go to live grenades though to see how far they explode :milwink: Actually we refuse to use pyrotechnic grenades and have only fake duds or egg grenades that pop open with a tiny bit of powder so that no ones uniform gets flour or baking soda on them. I remember at Torrance one year some G.I. lit a "grenade" and rolled it under our Weapons Carrier, the driver tore outa there and got the flame away from the car. I am quite happy with the safety in our unit.

JKindred

Post by JKindred » 14 Dec 2010, 20:09

Erwinfoxjj wrote:Anything that launches has the potential to be dangerous. My unit uses two fausts that have been through the ringer for safety but we still note that anything that launches can be dangerous. Our mortars we also know are dangerous and they go through strict safety inspections as do the fake rounds. We make sure no shrapnel hits anyone. We have decided to go to live grenades though to see how far they explode :milwink: Actually we refuse to use pyrotechnic grenades and have only fake duds or egg grenades that pop open with a tiny bit of powder so that no ones uniform gets flour or baking soda on them. I remember at Torrance one year some G.I. lit a "grenade" and rolled it under our Weapons Carrier, the driver tore outa there and got the flame away from the car. I am quite happy with the safety in our unit.

You do realize you posted to a thread whose last post was three years ago.
Books: The original search engine.

Interested in original M1918 BAR and M1917A1 BMG related items.

Erwinfoxjj

Post by Erwinfoxjj » 14 Dec 2010, 20:11

And.......... Your point? Its stickied, I am new, I figured I would put my two cents in.

sgtwilliesydow

Post by sgtwilliesydow » 29 Dec 2010, 17:34

we launch and loop in WW1 and so far after 20+ yrs no one has gotten hurt....a few fuze burns but not bad.. our rule is 30 grains loss packed and you the maker must stand over it at the safetymeeting and let it go off (per GWA rules) the mortars are air but the rounds pop.. just my 2 cents

Return to “Reenactment”