Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Johnnyrocket

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Johnnyrocket » 14 Nov 2012, 04:49

Nice blue-print of the Göring home. (Source Unknown)
Goering Home.jpg
Göring's on the Obersalzberg
Goering Home.jpg (93.48 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
Johnny R.
Attachments
Goering on the Berg.jpg
Goering on the Berg.jpg (105.48 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

wwsoldatww

Post by wwsoldatww » 15 Nov 2012, 12:34

i hope you will like it
Attachments
obersalzberg.JPG

Biber

Post by Biber » 15 Nov 2012, 15:50

wwsoldatww wrote:i hope you will like it
That's a great picture giving an overview of the behind the scenes world and it's orientation on the Obersalzberg.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 16 Nov 2012, 05:28

wwsoldatww -- Please give the source for the photograph, as our rules require:
Listing the source of the images
The administration appreciate that many of the discussions require illustrations, including period photographs. At the same time, we would like to maintain the high quality that the Axis History Forum is known for. Therefore, we require that our members list the source of the photographs they post. The required information depends on the source of the photograph.
  • Books and magazines: The author and title of the book. Page number is also preferred, but not required.
  • Archives: The archive name and reference, as per the instructions of the archive.
  • Websites: The URL to the specific page where the photograph was found. Note, that Google image search or eBay auction is not accepted. If you have found the photograph using Google image search, you must follow the link on Google, and post the website address. Likewise, for eBay auctions, you must post the seller's id. If you do not remember the source, you must explicitly write this (this is not a carte blanche to state that the source for all the photographs you post are unknown, and abuse of this method is not accepted).
  • Own collection: If you own the photograph yourself (i.e. a period print or a print which you are allowed to re-publish), you must write so either by watermarking the photograph or writing it in your post. Claiming you own photographs which you do not actually own will not be tolerated.
Violating these guidelines can result in removal of posts, warnings, loss of photo posting privileges and banning.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?p=5#5

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 01 Jan 2013, 10:42

A very interesting picture - thank you <wwsoldatww>. I find it hard to believe that this whole magnificent complex has just vanished into buried rubble. Would I be correct in assuming that the building shown at no 11 "Gastehotel Der Plattehof" is the present site of the so called "Documentation Center"?

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 01 Jan 2013, 11:54

No, number 11 is not the Documentation Centre. The Documentation Centre is the former Guest House and is not visible as far as I can see from this panorama. From memory it's over the hill behind the Berghof. There are a number of photos of the Guest House on this very link. See here and ff:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... start=1830
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

WALKFARM

Post by WALKFARM » 01 Jan 2013, 23:42

Johnnyrocket wrote:I agree—this Forum and this thread in particular has the worlds foremost experts participating.

Johnny R.
I HAVE FOLLOWED THIS FORUM AND THIS THREAD FOR SOME TIME. iTOO BELIEVE THAT SOME OF THE CONTRIBUTORS ARE PROBABLY THE THE WORLDS BEST EXPERTS ON THE BERGHOF OBERSALZBERG AREA.HAS ANY ONE ANY DETAILS OF THE DRAINAGE AND WASTE FROM THE BERGHOF AND THE OBERSALZBERG PRE 1945. WAS IT CONNECTED TO GO INTO THE TOWN OR WAS IT TREATED ON THE HILL ANYWHERE.I HAVE YET TO SEE ANY PLANTS OR SYSTEMS ON MY VISITS.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 02 Jan 2013, 06:26

Thank you, Mannheim which sorts that one out for me. I also agree with Johnnyrocket's comment that this thread contains the very best of world-class historical information on the Berghof. There must also be a veritable treasure-trove of Berghof memorabilia in the USA.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 02 Jan 2013, 11:33

Mannheim wrote:No, number 11 is not the Documentation Centre. The Documentation Centre is the former Guest House and is not visible as far as I can see from this panorama. From memory it's over the hill behind the Berghof. There are a number of photos of the Guest House on this very link. See here and ff:
As I was looking over this photo, it suddenly occured to me - of all the numbered buildings shown - 16 total - only one is still standing, or even has any above-ground remains to be seen - the Hotel zum Türken (Nr. 16). :x

WALKFARM, that's a good question. I believe there was a Kläranlage (water treatment plant) associated with the Gutshof complex, but I don't know if all the OSB waste water was treated there or not.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 02 Jan 2013, 17:24

WALKFARM wrote:[...]
I HAVE FOLLOWED THIS FORUM AND THIS THREAD FOR SOME TIME. iTOO BELIEVE THAT SOME OF THE CONTRIBUTORS ARE PROBABLY THE THE WORLDS BEST EXPERTS ON THE BERGHOF OBERSALZBERG AREA.HAS ANY ONE ANY DETAILS OF THE DRAINAGE AND WASTE FROM THE BERGHOF AND THE OBERSALZBERG PRE 1945. WAS IT CONNECTED TO GO INTO THE TOWN OR WAS IT TREATED ON THE HILL ANYWHERE.I HAVE YET TO SEE ANY PLANTS OR SYSTEMS ON MY VISITS.
Welcome at AHF.
Do you have problems with the caps lock?
Cheers,
history1

*NL*

Post by *NL* » 03 Jan 2013, 02:36

Mannheim wrote:No, number 11 is not the Documentation Centre. The Documentation Centre is the former Guest House and is not visible as far as I can see from this panorama. From memory it's over the hill behind the Berghof. There are a number of photos of the Guest House on this very link. See here and ff:
The former Guest House, later Documentation Center, is indeed over the hill and not visable in this image.
The location is straight BEHIND nr 11, not at nr 11.

Steve Hoog
In memoriam

Post by Steve Hoog » 03 Jan 2013, 16:45

Geoff Walden wrote:As I was looking over this photo, it suddenly occured to me - of all the numbered buildings shown - 16 total - only one is still standing, or even has any above-ground remains to be seen - the Hotel zum Türken (Nr. 16). :x
Yes sir, you are correct! What a great picture, I only wish I could have seen these buildings as they were in the day.

Rornum

Post by Rornum » 06 Jan 2013, 09:57

Hi all,
I am new to this forum but have studied this TR period extensively. I find myself asking what it is that causes me to be so interested in the Berghof as a site. I suppose it is the significance of the place as a historical marker of the highest degree.

So...a silly question. If AH and not the German state owned the parcel of land the home was built on....who owns it now?....Is it Bavarian or Federal property or could an individual claim it?....if they were crazy enough bearing in mind the history attached to it.

Steve Hoog
In memoriam

Post by Steve Hoog » 06 Jan 2013, 20:37

I do believe Bavaria owns it.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 07 Jan 2013, 11:24

I find the whole subject fascinating and wonder if, when the Germans get over their AH guilt phobia, they might excavate the Berghof site as an historical monument. I queried earlier on in this thread if the steps from the driveway to the entrance of the Berghof might still be there buried under rubble and earth. I think that I received a response from Geoff Walden saying that this was a strong possibility.

On a similar subject, but on another thread "The Reichkanzlei", a firm of Italian architects have drawn up a magnificent set of drawings of the Bunkers. The rationale being that this would be a vastly interesting tourist attraction, even if only partially restored. My guide during my last visit was roundly cursing the Russians and the DDR for flattening the site. He reckoned that he could charge 200 Euros a pop for an underground tour of the Bunker site and that there would be a queue down to the Brandenburg Gate! Likewise I am sure that if there were something other than a notice board and a lot of vegetation, the partially restored Berghof site would be another big tourist attraction.

I think that the Germans are starting to get over their AH guilt phobia, because I see that there is a book just out entitled "I'm Back". It is a lampoon based upon the supposition that AH went into a coma in 1945 and woke up in 2011. Apparently he was not at all pleased with what he saw, nor was he welcomed with open arms. So the Germans are starting to laugh at themselves, at long last!

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”