Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Berlin parade - but when?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.

Berlin parade - but when?

Postby Maurice Laarman on 29 Jan 2013 20:52

I received a Kriegsmarine photo album, dating from around 1937-1939. The photos were included, does anybody have a clue which parade we see here? It's not the Legion Kondor parade. (flags from the Brandenburger tor, here not)

Thanks in advance,

Maurice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maurice Laarman
Netherlands

Re: Berlin parade - but when?

Postby Mannheim on 30 Jan 2013 05:40

I can't say when the parade was held but that is the Humboldt University (Unter den Linden) in the second (middle) photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mannheim
Australia

Postby Maurice Laarman on 02 Feb 2013 11:50

Thanks Mannheim!

Kind regards,

Maurice
Maurice Laarman
Netherlands

Postby von Brackwede on 04 Feb 2013 21:32

If it's a parade with only the Kriegsmarine, it may be a rememberanceparade for The battle of Julland (Skagerrakschlacht), that found place in may 31st - june 1st in 1916? I belive it was an annual parade to remember this battle, also before the nazi-regime, but I'm not sure. I enclose a picture from 1932 (Bundesarchive).
von Brackwede
Norway

Postby phylo_roadking on 05 Feb 2013 00:14

If it's a parade with only the Kriegsmarine, it may be a rememberanceparade for The battle of Julland (Skagerrakschlacht), that found place in may 31st - june 1st in 1916?

I don't think so - a lot of the men are wearing winter overcoats, and you can just make out that the trees in the background of pics 1 & 3 are bare...but there's no snow on the ground. Therefore late Autumn/early Winter, or early Spring?
"People tell me I know damn nothing - I tell them I know damn all!"
phylo_roadking
United Kingdom

Postby steverodgers801 on 05 Feb 2013 21:44

If it is during Hitlers regime, where are the Nazi flags and uniforms. I would hazard it is just before Hitlers rise to power. I see the flags in the second clip but not the first, so they may be two seperate parades. I also am not sure the Nazi's would allow the people such freedom to mingle with the marchers. In the second you can see the distance between the marchers and the viewers.
steverodgers801
United States

Postby Maurice Laarman on 05 Feb 2013 22:14

Photo 1 & 3 might be taken on a different occasion compared to the second photo, but still is during the Third reich era, they wear the regular Kriegsmarine uniform with eagle on the hats. (using a magnifying glass this became clear)

Maurice
Maurice Laarman
Netherlands

Postby Maurice Laarman on 05 Feb 2013 22:14

Photo 1 & 3 might be taken on a different occasion compared to the second photo, but still is during the Third reich era, they wear the regular Kriegsmarine uniform with eagle on the hats. (using a magnifying glass this became clear)

Maurice
Maurice Laarman
Netherlands

Postby von Brackwede on 06 Feb 2013 20:58

Mannheim wrote:I can't say when the parade was held but that is the Humboldt University (Unter den Linden) in the second (middle) photo.

At that time it had the name Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität (till 1949).
von Brackwede
Norway

Postby Maurice Laarman on 06 Feb 2013 21:38

I think we are a bit closer to the solution. Annualy, early in the year around February/March, Heldengedenktag was celebrated to honor the fallen soldiers. This might be such an occassion. Since the album contains photos from aroun 1936-1939, it could be one of these years. Now I am searching for comparison photos.
Maurice Laarman
Netherlands

Postby mjölnir on 09 Feb 2013 17:32

Perhaps it is the parade of the Heldengedenktag. This Parade was in March of every year.
Then all three (untill 1934 two) parts of the Wehrmacht (Army, Navy and Airforce) take part on this parade.
And the Humboldt-University is near to the Reichsehrenmal "Ewige Wache".
mjölnir
mjölnir
Germany

Postby mjölnir on 09 Feb 2013 17:32

Perhaps it is the parade of the Heldengedenktag. This Parade was in March of every year.
Then all three (untill 1934 two) parts of the Wehrmacht (Army, Navy and Airforce) take part on this parade.
And the Humboldt-University is near to the Reichsehrenmal "Ewige Wache".
mjölnir
mjölnir
Germany

Postby Maurice Laarman on 13 Feb 2013 20:10

This is what a German veteran mentions in an email to me. He was with the Kriegsmarine as well, but saw the parades when visiting his uncle;

ich war bei meinem Onkel in Berlin. Anläßlich des Skageraktages am 31. Mai fand jedes Jahr eine Parade durch eine Marineeinheit in Berlin und Wilhelmshaven statt.Das war unheimlich gut.Die Zeiten des Militärs sind vorbei. Die Marineeinheiten wurden nach Berlin gefahren. Meistens die Unteroffiziers Lehrabteilungen.Die Musik 2. MAA Wilhelmshaven.
Maurice Laarman
Netherlands

Return to Propaganda, Culture & Architecture