Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
RobertD1

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by RobertD1 » 08 Nov 2015, 11:14

A local news article from Aug. 5th talks about a WW2 phosphor grenade found in a sewer, but does not specify whether it was German:
http://www.bgland24.de/bgland/polizeime ... 21014.html
Maybe thats the one?

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 08 Nov 2015, 20:19

Thanks, Robert, that was the story. I read a different report, but it was the same find.

rab1943

Post by rab1943 » 22 Nov 2015, 04:37

I was wondering how exactly Eva got to the waterfall above the konigssee lake. My wife and I were there in June and tried for 2 days to find it. We heard it and saw it at a distance but could not find the specific trail to get there. Thanks!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 22 Nov 2015, 15:09

Hi rab1943,

Welcome to AHF!
:welcome:

Well ... It's not easy, at least today. Maybe our friend Ralf will chime in here, since he has been there. There is a path that continues past the Malerwinkel, down to the lake edge, that supposedly goes to the bottom of the fall, where EB was photographed doing exercises. This path goes past where the gold bar was discovered recently. However, when I tried to follow this path a couple years ago, it came to a point where it disappeared into the water, with just a rock wall on the left. I could see no other path that continued that way, so I turned around a couple hundred meters short of the falls.

But I strongly suspect that EB & Co. did not follow any path. I suspect that they went there by boat.

Geoff

rab1943

Post by rab1943 » 24 Nov 2015, 03:05

Thanks Geoff! I had the EXACT same thing happen to me. However, I climbed up the side of the hill for probably a good mile and could hear it in the distance but could never actually find it. The next day my wife and I tried a different trail further up but same thing happened, we could never actually get to the falls. Thanks for your reply!

Instructor80

Post by Instructor80 » 26 Nov 2015, 07:35

Hi Guys!

Just registert here as i found this site. Just a sentence about me: I'm 35 years old man, living and working near Suttgart and we visited the Obersalzberg this September for the second time. The first time was in 1994! And it was a bit of a shock as i saw how the mountain has changed...

Nevertheless, the history of this mountain and my personal fascination for architecture started a long time of sitting on the pc and surving through the net, finding all the infomation about the Obersalzberg.

Found this story:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/H ... to-2055517

First that was kind of breathtaking, as i have exactley the same one at my place. It is the globe from my Grandpa! But i'm actually not sure if this story ist true?

And just a couple of days ago i found this:

http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/main-outsid ... 319187.htm

Well, out of my range but i'm not sure if it's gonna be seld :-)

And before i forget: All my compliment to this site! Absolutely stunning finding that much information about this part of history!!!

Greez
Steph

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 26 Nov 2015, 13:17

Hi Steph,

Welcome to AHF!
:welcome:

Thanks for those links! I'm not too sure about the globe, myself, but I am pretty much 100% convinced that the lighting fixture is genuine (and really cool!). I went through all my Berghof photos, and unfortunately it seems that this doorway was only rarely shown in photos, and then at a distance, but I saw enough to convince me that this light fixture did indeed come from where he said it did, and while I could not match his 1945 photo 100% to period photos (it would need a better copy of his photo), I don't have any real doubts that this is all OK. Assuming so, I think this is one of the top 5 or 6 original Berghof souvenir relics that I have seen (not counting the paintings that survived). What wonderful forethought on his part, to have himself photographed in the act of taking the lamp down!

Geoff
Attachments
berghofstaffcar.jpg
berghofstaffcar.jpg (196.38 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

headwest

Post by headwest » 29 Nov 2015, 01:46

Hi All

I am not sure if this has been covered but do we have any idea what lies intact under ground at the berghof? are the steps still intact under there? i think i read Geoff said much of the basement could be?

thanks!

RobertD1

Post by RobertD1 » 29 Nov 2015, 12:46

The planned destruction of the Kehlstein-Roads seems to have been at least postponed until 2017: http://www.bgland24.de/bgland/region-be ... 90845.html
Interesting fact is that the local Green party is heavily engaged in keeping the roads as they are. Let's hope that they succeed!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 29 Nov 2015, 14:35

Hi Robert,

This is good news ... it has always surprised me, when the Greens support historic preservation ... but welcome! And another good thing - the very active citizens initiative to keep these roads.

Hi headwest,

I don't know anyone who has been in there since the early 1990s (maybe Robert does :), but at that time the basement areas beneath the Great Room were mostly intact. The basement areas beneath the Korridor (behind the Great Room) should be intact, but I have never seen any photos taken in there. Any access to that area was presumably closed off in 1952. Some basement areas beneath the east wing are there, but they have bomb damage - fallen ceilings and such. The Grand Staircase is thought to be gone. Some photos taken during the destruction of the ruins in 1952 seem to show the stairs also being dug up.

Geoff

RobertD1

Post by RobertD1 » 29 Nov 2015, 18:12

Hi headwest,

Sorry, I don't have any more information than what has been covered by Geoff. A couple of years ago I tried to find some information about the bunker entrance which is located under about ten feet of rubble in the southwest corner of the main retaining wall. Since the mentioned basement area is even lower than the bunker entrance, it has probably suffered additional damage caused by the weight of the filling, but I can only guess...

Robert

headwest

Post by headwest » 02 Dec 2015, 22:19

Thanks Very much

so interesting. i hope someday to be able to visit there, as well as Berlin and some other sites.

thanks again

nebelwerferXXX

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 06 Dec 2015, 06:47

Geoff Walden wrote:76 years ago at the Berghof ... a formal celebration of Silvester (New Years Eve) in the Berghof Great Room. Later on, Martin Bormann demanded that the road to the Kehlsteinhaus be cleared of snow so he and his friends could party the night away up there. Lang's biography says that Bormann drove up the road drunk and almost drove over the side, saved only by a snow drift. Christa Schroeder reported that she advised Hitler on this night that Eva Braun was not the right woman for him, at which Hitler replied, "But she is enough for me!"

1. Heinrich Hoffmann (photographer), 2. Gretl Braun, 3. Dr. Theo Morell (AH personal physician), 4. Helene Bouhler, 5. Phillip Bouhler, 6. Gerda Bormann, 7. Adolf Hitler, 8. Eva Braun, 9. Martin Bormann, 10. Anni Brandt, 11. Christa Schroeder (AH secretary), 12. Freda Kannenberg, 13. Albert Speer, 14. Jacob Werlin (managing director of Daimler-Benz), 15. Margarete Speer, 16. Hannelore "Hanni" Morell, 17. Frau Schmundt, 18. Ilse Braun, 19. Heinz Lorenz, 20. Ludwig Bahls (SS Aide), 21. Gerda Daranowski (AH secretary), 22. Albert Bormann, 23. Sofie Stork (friend of AH and EB), 24. Fritz Schönmann, 25. Rudolf Schmundt (Hitler's Wehrmacht adjutant), 26. Marianne Schönmann (friend of AH and EB), 27. Dr. Karl Brandt (AH personal surgeon), 28. Arthur ("Willi") Kannenberg.

I wish everyone at AHF a great 2015, and I'll sign off now to get ready to watch "Dinner For One." :milwink:

Geoff
@ no. 25. Rudolf Schmundt (Hitler's Wehrmacht adjutant)...was he the one killed in the 20 July 1944 bomb explosion planted by Col. von Stauffenberg ?

nebelwerferXXX

Book: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 06 Dec 2015, 07:13

1.jpg
1.jpg (116.56 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
Can I also order the book even I'm from the Philippines also ? What shall I prepare ? What mode of payment do they accept ? Cash or money order ?

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 06 Dec 2015, 21:50

nebelwerferXXX wrote: @ no. 25. Rudolf Schmundt (Hitler's Wehrmacht adjutant)...was he the one killed in the 20 July 1944 bomb explosion planted by Col. von Stauffenberg ?
Yes, the same. Gen. Schmundt died of his injuries on 1 October 1944.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”