Swastika - history and meaning

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Douglas 5

Swatica

Post by Douglas 5 » 10 Oct 2004, 07:53

If I may ad:
Born in Austria his name was changed from Schickelgruber
to Hitler and I think it was a grandmother that was jewish !!!
Anyway for the last few days been trying to identify a pendant or charm
I have with a swastica on it . War Lord has identified it as being made around 1900 , way befor Hitler and has late Victoria porcelan with that kind of design on it too . Very surprized myself that this was used as a
' Good Luck Charm' . This one set in yellow gold backing and enamel
inlay on front .

Regards, Douglas 5
Attachments
Pendant 1.JPG
Pendant 1.JPG (5.63 KiB) Viewed 1868 times

John W

Post by John W » 05 Aug 2006, 22:17

Vance Pollock wrote:I saw a graphic once for an advertisement for Swastika Fireworks from India (?) earlier half of last century (?) which did a great job of illustrating the motion of the swastika. These spinners featured small rockets at the ends of two crossed sticks. Anyone know where I can find that graphic and/or the accompanying article of interest?
Not sure about the crossed sticks one - but there are a lot of recent ones where there is a long 'rope' of powder wrapped around a disc. As the end is lit, the powder burnd and propells the disc in the other direction - forcing it to rotate about it's axis.

These "discs" (called "Zameen Chakarams") are sometimes decorated with the swastika.

cheers,

Hexar

Re: hakenkreuz

Post by Hexar » 10 Aug 2006, 20:50

HaEn wrote:Or. . in many ASIAN countries as decorations as well as venerable objects in tenple walls end monuments.

As I said before, the swastikaka was originally only an indication of "which sun was ruling" . Cross bars to the left, "the sun that rises in the east"; crossbars to the right "the sun that rises in the west".
The earth reversed it's polarity several times in i'ts existance, due to near colissions with large heavenly bodies. One of them the COMET, what is now the PLANET Venus. An intersting book on the subject, with many references to sources (i.o.w. not just some therory) is "worlds in Colisson" by Velinkovsky. His references are even more interesting, but some are out of print. HN.

Velikovsky was a pseudo-scientist and I'd put little stock in what claimed. Here's a link to a website that gives a scientific critique of his nonsensical "theories".
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-velikovsky.html

AAA

Post by AAA » 10 Aug 2006, 21:36

The Latvian Air Force before the war used swastikas (ugunskrusts = fire cross), but dark red in color (like the flag) ... tend to look black in B&W photos.

dabbydo

Post by dabbydo » 11 Aug 2006, 00:28

Unless I'm mistaken, the swastika that is tilted like the one shown on the tail of German aircraft is considered to be in motion, while a "level" swastika is at rest. Something to do with pagan beliefs or how the sun chases away all evil.

I have seen pictures of tanks early in the war with a large swastika on the turret in use by Finland, but according to that book, it was used as an idenifier, not political affiliation with the nazi party.

Harri

Post by Harri » 11 Aug 2006, 08:31

dabbydo wrote:I have seen pictures of tanks early in the war with a large swastika on the turret in use by Finland, but according to that book, it was used as an idenifier, not political affiliation with the nazi party.
Finnish tanks used black swastika (officially accepted model was with short arm ends) markings between June 1941 and summer 1945. Earlier Finnish national marking in tanks was a white-blue-white stripe around the upper part of turret and since summer 1945 Finnish tanks have used white-blue-white cockade roundel which is used also in aircraft.

Windward

Post by Windward » 11 Aug 2006, 16:30

A swastika symbol in Qing Dynasty's first palace, Shenyang (Mukden), Manchuria

circa 1630

regards

-- and I had also seen a lot of swastika symbols as decoration of window, rail, baluster and eave, clockwise or anticlockwise, in Forbidden City, Summer Palace and Buddhist temples.
Attachments
100_2738.jpg
Zhihuasi Temple, Beijing
100_2738.jpg (92.45 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
100_0645.jpg
Mukden Palace, Shenyang
100_0645.jpg (45.29 KiB) Viewed 1533 times

HaEn
In memoriam

Re: hakenkreuz

Post by HaEn » 13 Aug 2006, 05:52

Hexar wrote:
HaEn wrote:Or. . in many ASIAN countries as decorations as well as venerable objects in tenple walls end monuments.

As I said before, the swastikaka was originally only an indication of "which sun was ruling" . Cross bars to the left, "the sun that rises in the east"; crossbars to the right "the sun that rises in the west".
The earth reversed it's polarity several times in i'ts existance, due to near colissions with large heavenly bodies. One of them the COMET, what is now the PLANET Venus. An intersting book on the subject, with many references to sources (i.o.w. not just some therory) is "worlds in Colisson" by Velinkovsky. His references are even more interesting, but some are out of print. HN.

Velikovsky was a pseudo-scientist and I'd put little stock in what claimed. Here's a link to a website that gives a scientific critique of his nonsensical "theories".
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-velikovsky.html
Balderdash !. He documented ALL of his findings and even was in contact with Albert Einstein, who was deeply interested in his studies.
Naturally, since his theories and statements did not always fit the mainstream, he was ridiculed by "established" historians / doctors / archeologists / aysronomers / and medici.
I suggest you READ some of his works, before jumping to conclusions.
Regards
HN (D.P.M./Ph.D.) emeritus

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 13 Aug 2006, 13:00

As a curio - the little town of Swastika in Ontario, Canada - refuses to change it's name....hell - we had it before Hitler.... Varjag

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika,_Ontario

Hexar

Post by Hexar » 13 Aug 2006, 13:09

HaEn,
When it comes to theories in science, I will go with the mainstream. Velikovsky's theories have been discredited far and wide for a variety of reasons. Here is a short article by the late Stephen J. Gould showing the reasons Velikovsky's theories are flawed. http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/gou ... ovsky.html

No amount of discussion on your part will change my mind, as I'm sure nothing will change your mind on this subject either. Rather than wasting bandwidth on an Axis History forum argueing about Velikovsky, "agreeing to disagree" would perhaps be a better end to this thread. Hexar

HaEn
In memoriam

Swastika - history and meaning

Post by HaEn » 08 Feb 2009, 23:57

[Split from Swastika trees...]
Fait Accompli wrote:Second, it's a symbol of a vile, murderous regime. So there's that, too.

wrong !!!!!!!
The swastika was a worldwide ancient symbol of the sun
It was used to denote "WHICH " Sun was meant.
The one that came up in the east, had the crosslegs pointing to the right.
The one that came up in the WEST pointed to the left.
We now know that it was one and the same sun, only the earth had tumbled (as it has many times in its existance) and having "flipped" upside down, it just looked for ancient people that the sun came from a different direction; after the surface calamities had died down, by such an upheaval. During the 'upheavals it was not visible at all, because of the air contamination with dusts etc, that would circle the arth for years. (one of them took place in the exodus.
Mayan, Egyptian, Chinese, and Nordic, as well as oceaniac "word of muth history sources mentions several of these.
When the earth was thrown out of its course by the close passing of another celectial body, like a comet, or the comet (turning planet VENUS) or "the already a planet MARS, the calendars had to be changed, changed, and "directions of the quarters had to be determined anew.
For a shortened version of these events, Read Dr/Dr/Dr/Dr/Immanual Velikovski's "Worlds in Colission".
So whoever "used" or appropriated this symbol, did not make it bad. Only the use of it was bad.
We went through this before on this forum, buti think it would be good to understand where some of these "symbols" came from.
At present, if you visit a Japanese cemetary you will find many swastikas on the grave stones. They date often from the time before Uncle adolf.
HN

Fait Accompli

Re: Swastika trees...

Post by Fait Accompli » 09 Feb 2009, 01:50

This is ridiculous. I don't dispute anything you wrote about the history of the swastika. But this particular swastika is in the middle of a forest in Germany and was planted, evidently, by an ardent Hitler supporter, during Nazi times. It wasn't planted as a symbol of the sun. Get real. The swastika in Germany means Nazism and today it's illegal. End of story.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 10 Feb 2009, 16:03

Just where's is that gardener? :)
Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

Von Odine

Post by Von Odine » 11 Feb 2009, 18:28

Re: The Swastika: "25 Years of Abuse does not erase 5000 years of History".

Simon K

Post by Simon K » 11 Feb 2009, 21:28

However many clever "funny" little pics one can find of swastikas, the fact remains that the NAZI usage of this symbol has destroyed and perverted its original pacific benign image to people of the Hindu faith and others. Thats a crime against Hinduism as anything else.
Dont try to justify its existence in a 21st century Christian European context. And worse, do not try to equate the NAZI theft of the swastika with any innate qualities the symbol may have.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”