Huge picture library on the web

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Frankfurter

Huge picture library on the web

Post by Frankfurter » 03 Jul 2009, 15:30

Found this one: http://picasaweb.google.de/freiherrvongebhardt

The "owner" has placed more than 3000 photos here, 4c and b/w, mostly III.Reich, but also many photos of Nazis and locations as they appeared postwar or today. I do not know who the person is who maintains this library. There is no "propaganda" as such, but also no critical comments. There are a number of pictures of him together with infamous diehard Nazis ( they seem to be from the 80s or 90s), as well as with Himmlers daughter.
Some pictures are wellknown from Life or other sources, others known to some, but many are private and most likely unseen before so might be very interesting for researchers.

For instance there are two 2003 letters of Hitler´s adjutant Günsche where he expresses that he still sees the III. Reich as the "greatest time in German history" and that he has a Hitler photo on his desk always decorated with roses...
Or Baur, who decades after the war still signed letters as the "Chefpilot des Führers".

Inselaffe

Re: Huge picture library on the web

Post by Inselaffe » 03 Jul 2009, 16:52

Good find! Cheers! :) There's loads of interesting stuff on there. The owner/creator of the site appears to be http://harryvongebhardt.de/index.html , a bit of 'googling' also pulled up this http://damijwh.blogspot.com/2007_05_01_archive.html (see 17th May 2007 entry) which will be of interest to anyone seeking to post anything from the first site here, still, two sides to every story etc.

Thanks.

Frankfurter

Post by Frankfurter » 03 Jul 2009, 19:16

That bit from the blog is funny. The picture library "owner" must be a bit strange. If the most important photos he has to show of himself almost all depict him with notorious diehard Nazis (or even noted war criminals) like Wolff, Remer or Günsche, and obviously enjoying their company, then one must wonder why.

Anyway, lots of interesting stuff there.

muller1945

Post by muller1945 » 05 Jul 2009, 21:13

That site link is one of the best i have seen, so he is pictured with some of the nazis, many collectors who had all the rare items got in contact with the holders.

sinatra1989

Post by sinatra1989 » 09 Sep 2009, 14:22

The collection is truly impressive, although a few have been taken from other pages on the internet. (He even has some of my autographs up on there!)

However, he has a wealth of knowledge if people are interested in the subject, especially on the Obersalzberg region. I spoke with him before I went there this year.
He is actually on this forum (or was).

He met with so many people, merely because he had the opportunity to do so back in the 1980's/90's.

Regards,
Tom.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”