Nuremberg Party Rally Grounds

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Re: Nuremberg Party Rally Grounds

Post by Geoff Walden » 20 Mar 2014, 19:35

Max wrote:http://www.frankenfernsehen.tv/mediathe ... yrbdnkrjZ4

Can someone say what is said at 3:40?
It seems that one of the cauldrons was used as a small swimming pool for children.
Max,

I didn't watch the film, but yes, the one that's behind the Tribüne now (painted that odd dark mustard color) was indeed used as a kiddie pool in the swimming complex beside the municipal stadium.

Max

Post by Max » 21 Mar 2014, 04:46

Br. James wrote: but I do recall that some of the searchlights (I believe two of them...) used to create the Dome of Light over that vast field were on display inside the Golden Hall when I visited.
Lights.JPG
Looks like there are at least three

http://www.frankenfernsehen.tv/mediathe ... yrbdnkrjZ4
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Max

Post by Max » 21 Mar 2014, 04:49

Geoff Walden wrote:
Max wrote:http://www.frankenfernsehen.tv/mediathe ... yrbdnkrjZ4

Can someone say what is said at 3:40?
It seems that one of the cauldrons was used as a small swimming pool for children.
Max,

I didn't watch the film, but yes, the one that's behind the Tribüne now (painted that odd dark mustard color) was indeed used as a kiddie pool in the swimming complex beside the municipal stadium.
cauldron.JPG
http://www.frankenfernsehen.tv/mediathe ... yrbdnkrjZ4
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 21 Mar 2014, 23:02

Re the oft-shown footage of the row of black-clad SS marching down the steps (shown here at 0.49 - I'm too busy to trawl through "Triumph of the Will"), I've often wondered if those are the same steps that were outside the Luitpold Hall (the Old Congress Hall) and of which vestiges still remain. Anyone know?
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 10 May 2014, 20:09

Work continues at the Zeppelintribüne, in the ongoing effort to study the building in order to determine the best way to stabilize the structure. Today I saw where they have pulled off the side steps on one side of the upper Tribüne, presumably to study the underlying structure (looked in pretty bad shape to me) and the layers of post-1945 repairs/additions. No new word on when this work is expected to be completed.

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 10 May 2014, 22:32

Last wednesday I visited the tribune and there was a board with information about the restoration work, and if I'm not misstaken the calculated cost to restore it was 70 000 000 Euro.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 11 May 2014, 09:52

Hi Makarov,

Those info boards were put up several years ago - they have some good photos of the damage to the inside structure, mostly caused by the demolition of the side columns in 1967. But they say now that the 70 million euro is a low number. I've heard unofficial estimates that it would take over 200 million euro just to do the basic stabilization that is necessary.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 12 May 2014, 03:05

"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 23 May 2014, 10:07

Nice photos of the Tribune in its heyday - thanks for the link ghostsoldier - I am still trying to find photographs of AH and his entourage descending from the door of the Tribune to the speaker's rostrum. As this was the Nazi Party's showpiece surely they photographed their leader making his triumphant entry? So far nothing has come to light. However, there is plenty of footage of AH and his staff emerging from below the Municipal Stadium but nothing of a similar nature at the Zeppelin Tribune.

Regarding the article, which casts doubt upon the wisdom of restoring the Tribune because of its Nazi Party connotations, I think that one must accept that the Third Reich was a very significant part of German history. Destroying artifacts or letting them rot away is not going to expunge the record of the Hitler era. It's there and it is a valuable historical edifice.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 23 May 2014, 14:15

Paulheald wrote:I think that one must accept that the Third Reich was a very significant part of German history. Destroying artifacts or letting them rot away is not going to expunge the record of the Hitler era. It's there and it is a valuable historical edifice.
Very wise words, Paul, and I totally agree with this sentiment. :)

Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 25 May 2014, 06:37

Thanks, Rob, for your kind words - much appreciated.

I was pondering as to why there seem to be no photos nor film footage of AH and his entourage descending from the Zeppelin Tribune's door to the speaker's rostrum. After all the Zeppelin Tribune was showpiece of the Rally Grounds. I think that it may have been because of the difficulty in citing a suitable place for the camera man. In the film "Triumph of the Will" the scenarios taken at the Luitpoldhain were captured at one end on the roof of the war memorial and at the other end in a photographer's cradle on the flagpoles. In the Municipal Arena it was just a mass of kids so no problems there. However, I don't think that there was any suitable vantage point at the Zeppelin Tribune for photography.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 07 Jun 2014, 18:53

After a lot of scratching around I did find a couple of photos of Adolf Hitler and his entourage at the Zeppelin Tribune - neither of them I have seen before. However, I don't see why they did not get more mileage of him descending from the door to the speaker's podium with cine and still shots.
Attachments
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (66.82 KiB) Viewed 902 times
1.jpg
Per courtesy of Life
1.jpg (44.16 KiB) Viewed 902 times

shaunuk2

Post by shaunuk2 » 17 Jun 2014, 02:36

looking at the Zeppelin tribune on google earth, it looks like they have started to clean up and poss restore the flag stations and seating area, the roofs of the flag station have clearly been repaired ..

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=nuremb ... CAYQ_AUoAQ

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 20 Jun 2014, 03:15

Does Google Earth show the same views as Google Maps? The current Google Maps view is somewhat out of date ... the views (including the 45 degree views) do not show the scaffolding that is now on the southeast corner of the Zepeleintribüne, and the side and back faces just at that corner, that is apparently part of the study process for the eventual stabilization work. The flag tower roofs that appear restored have been that way for some years, as some of the flag towers have been in use and not allowed to deteriorate like the others.

Geoff

shaunuk2

Post by shaunuk2 » 20 Jun 2014, 09:53

Hi Geoff on google maps pic says 2014 and looking on google earth the picture or view is the same

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”