Führerbunker as a tourist attraction?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Steve Hoog
In memoriam

Führerbunker as a tourist attraction?

Post by Steve Hoog » 30 May 2012, 18:27

[Split from "Führerbunker pictures thread"]

Sitting right on the spot just a few weeks ago, it was very sad to me for so little concern to be given for this historical location.

firestreak

Re: Führerbunker pictures forum

Post by firestreak » 12 Oct 2013, 20:53

These are amazing photo`s. if the authorities refuse to uncover what remains of the bunker for display perhaps they could permanantly mark out its outline with cobbles or slabs set into the ground. Its exact shape and position are recorded by use of ground penetrating radar and GPS.

BERLINVOSS

Re: Führerbunker pictures forum

Post by BERLINVOSS » 14 Nov 2013, 23:24

Nice thread, hope one day the remains will be exposed

Robert

Steve Hoog
In memoriam

Re: Führerbunker pictures thread

Post by Steve Hoog » 29 Dec 2013, 12:46

Maybe 50 to 100 years from now the correct historical view can be taken of this site and the Berghof; and a proper display can be created from the remains at both.

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 29 Dec 2013, 14:35

Steve Hoog wrote:Maybe 50 to 100 years from now the correct historical view can be taken of this site and the Berghof; and a proper display can be created from the remains at both.
I´ve been to the site at least 20 times, first time in 1994. Until they put up the information board prior to the World Cup 2006 it was probably the world´s worse kept secret ever. However, reading the information given at the board I can´t find anything historical incorrect and therefore I´m a little bit curious about exactly what it is that you see as incorrect about the site that hopefully will be corrected in the next 50 - 100 years.

Steve Hoog
In memoriam

Post by Steve Hoog » 29 Dec 2013, 17:02

Makarov

I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about; but I will humor your question.

Here are two proper presentations of historical sites concerning WWII in Germany:

Dokumentation Obersalzberg

Photo Source: http://www.memorialmuseums.org/

http://www.obersalzberg.de/obersalzberg-home.html?&L=1

Kreismuseum Wewelsburg

Photo Source: http://www.forteantimes.com/front_websi ... p?id=10339

http://www.wewelsburg.de/

And here are two pathetic presentation with $100 signs to mark; arguably, the two most important WWII German sites:

Photo Source: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... erlin.html

Photo Source: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... stafel.jpg

Both the Berghof and the Fuhrerbunker had plenty of remains to work with early on to make easy work of a museum type facility or a proper recognition plague and display for starters; now a more ambitious effort would be needed because of the destruction of both sites, yet there is still enough of the original base foundations to make something happen.

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 29 Dec 2013, 20:40

Steve,
I agree with you regarding the Historical significance of these two sites. However, it´s quiet understandable that the city of Berlin don´t want to turn the bunker site into a museum, doing so I think people would go to Berlin for the wrong reason. Berlin is a city that forever will be associated with Hitler and from my Point of view they have dealt with it´s Nazi past in a good way. Now when the bunker is collapsed I don´t see any Point of digging up some remains making them accessible for visitors. The small information board was put up to give the visitor a brief information about the site, and that is just enough for the time being.
Last edited by Makarov on 29 Dec 2013, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 29 Dec 2013, 20:49

However, it´s quiet understandable that the city of Berlin don´t want to turn the bunker site into a museum, doing so I think people would go to Berlin for the wrong reason.
Although there maybe some people who visit Berlin for the reason you state I have to disagree. Berlin is a city that has many
reasons for people wanting to visit. First its the capital, has large and well known universities, always been a tourist
destination long before Hitler and has a many opportunities for business. Half of the city is ultra modern and up to date
which in itself attracts a certain element. Great restaurants, shopping and entertainment. I could go on but you get the drift?

Steve Hoog
In memoriam

Post by Steve Hoog » 29 Dec 2013, 20:53

Hence why I said 50 to 100 years.

I foresee Germans shedding the guilt and a minimum viewing both sites for the historical significance that they are; of course whatever happens is to be the will of Germans and not some silly American sitting across the pond.
Loyalty is My Honor

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 29 Dec 2013, 20:55

Annelie,
Berlin is great city and has a lot to offer, but what I meant is that if the bunker site turns into something more than it is today it might become more interesting for Tourists than what it is today. And that, I Think the city want to avoid.

Annelie

Re: Führerbunker as a tourist attraction?

Post by Annelie » 29 Dec 2013, 21:12

I was visiting in the 90's and took a city bus tour. Not one word of WWII or anything concerning the
topic entered in the tour. Went after 2000. Well, everything changed. It became a money maker
and now you can get WWII tours there including the bunker tours. Although you can now find it all
in Berlin I don't ever believe it will be the biggest draw if they included Hitler's Bunker. Of course
if the city makes money just like Berchtesgaden and their Kehlstein Tours they wouldn't refuse to make
additional coffers.

Berlin and Germany has accepted its past and tried to make restitution. WWII happened and that
can't be changed. the time has come and its history is not denied but the now generation has other things to worry about.

Could be wrong but I see that from the people living there and the new generations who are more concerned
with political and financial situations of the present.

Steve Hoog
In memoriam

Post by Steve Hoog » 29 Dec 2013, 21:15

Could be wrong but I see that from the people living there and the new generations who are more concerned
with political and financial situations of the present.
I imagine that to be true.

I suspect it will take a political agenda that makes things change in the way I describe, so much as individual desires.
Loyalty is My Honor

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 29 Dec 2013, 22:08

Money talks and Hitler sells, nothing knew there. This is just hypothetichal, but I Think if the bunker were intact and turned into a museum it would be a top attraction in Berlin, a must see if you like. But of course, people of Berlin is less concern about the bunker in comparison to the financial situation. However, if you remember the reaction caused when Madame Tussaud opened it´s doors (I think it was in 2008) in which Hitler was put on display we get an impression what awaits if the bunker site itself would turn into something more than it is today.

Steve Hoog
In memoriam

Post by Steve Hoog » 29 Dec 2013, 23:02

If I could make the calls; I would rebuild the Berghof per original specs for a private personal home, and when I am gone leave it to Bavaria for a historical site.

The Fuhrerbunker is a little more complex; so much is gone and personal apartments, streets, and other building hinder my thoughts. I'm not really sure. The least obtrusive thought would be to recover the original floor of AH's quarters and enclose it with a permanent museum building offering a view down to the original floor. I might repair or replace a few of the walls; and bring in as much replacement original furniture as possible, leaving a view from above for museum goers. I know this would call for minor sacrifices to existing structures and infrastructure.

Very much like they did the U505 in Chicago; this is a picture of myself and my youngest a month ago at that, I include this as an example of perfect enclosed historical object that could just as easy be a display and protection for a site.

Picture Source: Personal

Crazy thoughts that would cost a ton, but it doesn't hurt to dream.
Loyalty is My Honor

Makarov

Post by Makarov » 30 Dec 2013, 08:20

Rebuild the Berghof, that would be a reconstruction of history, removing the existing material still at the site. Considering what´s left my call is to leave it as it is for people to walk around and let them reconstruct history out of their own minds with the help of all the Pictures and film fotoage taken at the Berg.

Uncover the remains of the Fuhrerbunker, which is more or less just a giant piece of a big Concrete slab. Again, leave it as it is, perhaps build a model and put it up for display at a museum. During the excavation of the holocaust memorial they discovered Göbbels personal bunker attached to his villa. For some time they considered including it to the memorial but sadly they decided not to.

I visited the U505 in 1997, back then it was on display outside, exposed to the harsh Chicago climate.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”