The Eating Habits Of Germans During WW2

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
schokakola

The Eating Habits Of Germans During WW2

Post by schokakola » 14 Mar 2014, 19:15

I recall reading somewhere that Germans were encouraged by their government to eat a more Aryan style diet?

I am not sure what exactly that implies. It seems that no matter where you look, information regarding the dietary habits of Germans during the war is scarce in terms of official sources.

Does anyone here have further information in regards to what the average German ate during the war? I know that food rationing was instituted about two years into the war, but ration stamps, tokens or what have you did not by any means ensure that the holder would actually receive such foods, as food supplies were patchy during the war and for many years after.

Starvation killed over 20 million people during the course of the war, so I can only imagine how hard things must have gotten in Germany.

RandJS

Re: The Eating Habits Of Germans During WW2

Post by RandJS » 21 Mar 2014, 12:53

Hello,

Here is the theoretical weekly ration: 2,435 grams bread (about three loaves), 150 gams cereals, 3500 grams potatoes, 225 grams sugar, 175 grams jam/honey, 250 grams meat, 185 grams fats, 60 grams cheese, half an egg, 60 grams coffee, skim milk.

Of course, as you noted, supplies were limited, and may not have been able to fulfill even these meager requirements.

If you PM me I can probably send a picture of the above. File too large to upload on forum.

There was also a formula for rations depending on location/occupation.
I can probably locate additional information on that if you desire.

Source for rations: "Life at Home" part 111, History of the Second World War, Marshall Cavendish Ltd, 1975.

Rand
Last edited by RandJS on 21 Mar 2014, 22:52, edited 2 times in total.

RandJS

Post by RandJS » 21 Mar 2014, 13:36

Hi,

See http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Germany/HB/HB-6.html
and scroll down for the soldiers ration system

Rand

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 08 Apr 2014, 07:46

This previous thread on the Forum has some good information on this subject: