Triumph of the Will - Nuremberg Question

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
jdarrylf

Triumph of the Will - Nuremberg Question

Post by jdarrylf » 03 Jun 2014, 03:32

I have a question about the film Triumph of the Will that I was hoping someone here could answer. Near the beginning of the film, when Hitler is entering Nuremberg in the motorcade, just after the shot of the cat on the windowsill and the spires of the St. Sebald church, there is a shot of a statue that I have not been able to identify. It is a figure of standing man holding a cane in his right hand and what appears to be an open book in his left. Does anyone know the name of the statue, it's location, or any other information about it?
TdW_Statue.JPG
TdW_Statue.JPG (28.4 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
It's in the film at the 8:51 mark:

A few shots earlier there is a good view of the Goose Man fountain, of which there is a great deal of information available, but I have not been able to find anything on the other statue. Any information would be appreciated!

GregSingh

Re: Triumph of the Will - Nuremberg Question

Post by GregSingh » 03 Jun 2014, 07:01

It's a statue of poet Konrad Grübel. These days Grübel Fountain is located in Innerer Laufer Platz 11.

jdarrylf

Post by jdarrylf » 04 Jun 2014, 02:05

Thanks for the information! Do you know if the fountain was located there at the time the film was made?

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 04 Jun 2014, 04:59

The whole area looks different. There was a building before 1945 where fountain is today. Clock tower you see in the movie just after, still exists today - Laufer Schlagturm.

In the 1930's fountain was located on the corner of Tucher Str. and Neue-Gasse.
Nice photo from Bundesarchiv.
Gruebelbrunnen 1935.jpg
Grübelbrunnen 1935

jdarrylf

Post by jdarrylf » 07 Jun 2014, 01:00

Great picture and information. I hope to be able to visit Nuremberg & Munich next summer, so I'm starting to plan the details of the trip, part of which is to identify landmarks from the film. Thanks again for your help!

shaunuk2

Post by shaunuk2 » 17 Jun 2014, 03:07

When you walk around Nuremberg you will see things and statues from the TR period , its a strange feeling i walked around a corner and the water fountain from TOTW and other films of the period ,

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”