1936 Berlin Olympics poster by Friedel Dzubas & Krauss

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Herbert von Nackerman

1936 Berlin Olympics poster by Friedel Dzubas & Krauss

Post by Herbert von Nackerman » 30 Sep 2014, 00:43

image.jpg
XIe OLYMPIAD BERLIN, 1936, Friedel Dzubas & Krauss
Haudi,

I accidentally came across this Berlin Olympics poster (XIe OLYMPIAD BERLIN, 1936) in the web and it really caught my eye.

It represents some of the best poster art I've seen, even among the often high quality Olympic posters. I found that although it was not chosen as the official poster of the Olympics (it was discarded, I think, in favor of a much inferior piece by Franz Würbel) it was nevertheless printed in some quantity (I don't know the number). For some reason I find that the French version ("Allemagne") is much better than the one in English. I've yet to find one auf Deutsch. Searching the web I found several pieces that had been auctioned, the price being around 3000 dollars. Yet I found none currently on sale.

I am therefore asking you if you have any idea where I should look or who I should contact in my search for this artefact.

Also, feel free to comment if you like.

Thanks.

Here's a link to the one that was sold in Christie's a couple of years ago:
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot_ ... 4470031002

Max

Re: 1936 Berlin Olympics poster by Friedel Dzubas & Krauss

Post by Max » 30 Sep 2014, 14:29

Note that this design by Würbel shows the iron cross in the laurel wreath [ as on the actual sculpture ] whereas the Dzubas & Krauss design does not.
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Herbert von Nackerman

Post by Herbert von Nackerman » 30 Sep 2014, 19:05

I hadn't actually paid attention to that earlier, although I remember reading about it. An unfortunate flaw in the poster's design and a rather strange one, too. Why was the cross left out? To make the poster less "political", to distance it from the regime in a subtle way? Nevertheless, I don't think it dramatically affects the quality of the poster.

ilovehistory

Post by ilovehistory » 13 Oct 2014, 16:49

Maybe you should search for propaganda postcards and not for poster. Those postcards are more common.

Herbert von Nackerman

Post by Herbert von Nackerman » 29 Oct 2014, 22:17

Are you sure this picture can be found as a postcard? Have you seen one yourself? Using "propaganda postcard" as a keyword I only found a couple more posters that were auctioned, but no postcards.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 30 Oct 2014, 07:28

I don't know if this meets your needs, Herbert, but the graphic appears several times on these pages:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1936-GERMANY-OLY ... 1c3e108539
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Max

Post by Max » 31 Oct 2014, 07:27

Mannheim wrote:I don't know if this meets your needs, Herbert, but the graphic appears several times on these pages:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1936-GERMANY-OLY ... 1c3e108539

I think Herbert is looking for a German version of the Poster he posted not the English or French versions which seem to be quite common.
I wonder what is in here
http://www.specificobject.com/objects/i ... FMb1nl03Z6

Herbert von Nackerman

Post by Herbert von Nackerman » 01 Dec 2014, 00:34

It doesn't matter to me that much what the language of the poster is, but for some reason I like the French version the most. I can't say that find ANY of the versions very common at all. At least not in the sense that I would be able to find one on sale. Did you mean something else by that, Max?

Just to make sure we're on the same page here, I am looking for the poster by Dzubas & Krauss which I included in my first post, NOT the one by Würbel which is the one that can be found from the ebay-page linked by Mannheim (the one with the golden male figure).

Max

Post by Max » 01 Dec 2014, 02:23

Herbert von Nackerman wrote:It doesn't matter to me that much what the language of the poster is, but for some reason I like the French version the most. I can't say that find ANY of the versions very common at all. At least not in the sense that I would be able to find one on sale. Did you mean something else by that, Max?

Just to make sure we're on the same page here, I am looking for the poster by Dzubas & Krauss which I included in my first post, NOT the one by Würbel which is the one that can be found from the ebay-page linked by Mannheim (the one with the golden male figure).

Original posters do seem to be rare and expensive - and they are all English or French - none are German that I have seen]
I suppose I meant to say that the English and French versions are more common than the German - perhaps there never was a German version.

Here is a modern reproduction for sale.[various sizes]
http://www.allposters.com.au/-sp/Poster ... 59977_.htm
Cheers

sarda

Post by sarda » 30 Dec 2016, 21:04

Hi, I saw that look for the original poster in German of the 1936 Olympics game, I will own one in perfect condition. If you have any questions Im at your disposal.
Best regards Marco

Max

Post by Max » 31 Dec 2016, 05:33

sarda wrote:Hi, I saw that look for the original poster in German of the 1936 Olympics game, I will own one in perfect condition. If you have any questions Im at your disposal.
Best regards Marco
Hi Marco.
That would be great to see.
Can you post an image of your German version?
Cheers
Max

CRAIG CARR

Post by CRAIG CARR » 01 Jan 2017, 01:53

Ein Glucklishe Neu Jahr to all. I have enjoyed reading these posts as my mother just had her 92nd birthday on Nov.8th,2016, and she performed in the opening ceremonies of the 1936 Games and the massed gymnastic spectacle that preceded the gymnastic events. I purchased the Wurbel poster in German as a birthday present for her this year that now sits in the hallway entrance to our home next to a foto of the highlight of the opening ceremony when 1000 highschool girls and 500 highschool boys formed the Olympic rings on the field with revolving circles while 20K white doves were released above their heads to fly in a circle around the stadium.. The Berlin Philharmonic and state opera chorus sang the finale of " Ode to Joy" by Beethoven. She attended Uhland Oberlyceum schule at Kolonenstrasse 17, in Berlin.The poster was everywhere and still symbolizes some of her happiest childhood memories growing up there before the world was turned upside down. It is the ONLY Olympic Game to elicit a 25 minute standing ovation, plus the surprise of going to school the following day and having the classroom PA announce a message to the participants from " a fan" of the opening ceremonies... Chancellor Adolf Hitler. Who thanked them for their excellent performance and announced that by overwhelming public demand, three additional performances of the opening ceremony had just been scheduled.that would be done on three more nights during the Games. Considering the background of how Wurbel was brought in at the last minute to use his excellent skills and incorporate the Roman bust that had been commissioned earlier and met with a public thud by a bronze sculptor, and incorporated into the poster at the behest of the Fuehrer ... I find myself more attracted to the color composition he achieved as it as it quickly established in a viewer's mind where the Games were to be held, identifying it with the colored rings, and highlighted the city's greatest landmark., though I do think the other one shown here is pretty impressive.I am finishing up the last sections of the birthday present I made for my Mom of surviving family fotos and memorabilia saved by now deceased family members and captioned with their oral histories . There are a few pages on the '36 Olympics if anyone is interested in seeing what daily life was like. http://picasaweb.google.com/anne.loftin/SiegHell#. Mit freundlischen Grussen, CRAIG

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”