German memorial card

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.

seaburn

Re: German memorial card

Post by seaburn » 08 Dec 2014, 23:36

Are these memorial cards also called 'death cards' ? That term is alien to me but I think its the same thing. In Ireland we always call these 'memorial cards' and people would have carried them in prayer books, they would always have had a prayer on them and usually a religious picture.

In Germany was it usual in both Protestant and Catholic families to have these printed and were they usually made for religious reasons or as a more secular memorial for the dead person ? I know that many of the W-SS did not state a religion on their paperwork - this may have meant that their cards would not have been religious. Of course though, it was the relatives of these men who would print the card and therefore the religious preference of the parents/spouse may have been to make these memorial cards religious anyway.

PF

Post by PF » 09 Dec 2014, 00:59

It was pretty common In World War I german Army -as well as German in World War II as well...

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 09 Dec 2014, 13:44

Here are his basic personal & burial details.
seil.jpg

PF

Post by PF » 09 Dec 2014, 15:16

Thanks-except I cant read German!
At least World War I cards were a bit more elegent--paper stock must have been running short!

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”