Auschwitz Buildings, “outside the wire”

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Annelie

Re: Auschwitz Buildings, “outside the wire”

Post by Annelie » 15 Apr 2015, 01:49

Don't know if this would be of any help but one could always ask for information as I have
been told they go out of their way to answer all questions. They of all should know most
of the answers.

https://www.facebook.com/auschwitzmemorial?fref=photo

N.C. Wyeth

Post by N.C. Wyeth » 15 Apr 2015, 03:27

Geoff Walden wrote:
Before I went to the Wolfschanze in April, I was advised to do a lot of homework, as there was very little explanation about any sites or ruins except the basic main sites that all tourists visit there. I did my homework, and so was able to find most everything of interest.

This same advice applies even more for the Auschwitz area, if anyone is planning a visit there (Brad! :milwink: ). This thread is a very good place to start!

So, if I ever go back, I will have alot more to look at!

Geoff
OK - understood . . . I know time is running out, but I am trying hard to perform my due diligence, Geoff - rest assured! :D

Glad to see this topic get revived. The Berghof topic has been real treat for such a long time . . . but this one has much more pent-up steam - just waiting to burst, I think. Please keep up with all the good information, everyone! If I knew more about the place, I would be happy to offer all I had . . . and I Thank everyone for sharing the same attitude. This topic is awesome! :thumbsup:
History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity. - Cicero

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 15 Apr 2015, 09:39

GregSingh wrote:
Large building on the right goes back to 1915. In the 40's area was taken over by DAW GmbH (Deutsche Ausrüstungswerke GmbH Werk Auschwitz).
Seems to be a school complex today. I marked DAW GmbH area on Google maps.
Thanks, Greg, I had looked at that first building because it seemed to be in the right place, but it appears to be a postwar building, so I guess it was built on the spot where the 1915 building was located.
Annelie wrote:Don't know if this would be of any help but one could always ask for information as I have
been told they go out of their way to answer all questions. They of all should know most
of the answers. https://www.facebook.com/auschwitzmemorial?fref=photo
You're absolutely right, Annelie. That's my next step, that I haven't tried yet. Maybe because I haven't found the museum guides to be all that knowledgeable or helpful. To be fair, that is based on talking with only two guides, and as I understand it, the guides are coached to tell their groups only specific facts, and to only discuss the sites that they show on the tours. Maybe it would be different if one hired a private guide (but if I did this, it would have to be a guide who knew EVERYTHING). :milwink:

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 18 Apr 2015, 14:52

Oops - I have got in a muddle (again!)and appear to have posted twice sorry about that
Last edited by Paulheald on 18 Apr 2015, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 18 Apr 2015, 15:06

Hello Geoff - I think this is the thread that I was looking for regarding structures and areas "outside the wire". I have another query along these lines regarding the successful escape of Dr. Rudolf Vrba. It would appear from his description that the pile of wood that he and several other potential escapees hid under was outside the wire. I assume that it was in an area under construction - possibly "Mexico". However, I cannot find "Mexico" on any of the aerial photos - I presume it is because that section of the camp was never finished. Do you have a map or photo showing "Mexico" and is that area open to the public?

PS Enjoy your tour of the interior of the Zeppelintribune I wish that I was there to join you!

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 18 Apr 2015, 15:32

Just Google Polish words: Meksyk, Oswiecim - and you will find it.
German description was BIII

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 19 Apr 2015, 09:43

Here you goe, Paulheald
Mexico is the camp part in the red rectangle.
Photo source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 305905.jpg
Attachments
Birkenau_Mexiko.jpg

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 19 Apr 2015, 15:36

Thanks history1 - do you know whether it was within "Mexico" that Dr. Rudolf Vrba made his epic escape?

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 19 Apr 2015, 19:00

AFAIK (from his book) they did hide in a pile of wood/stakes, dumped near new construction work. The hiding place was outside the camp itself (surrounded with watch towers and earth bunkers = the Kleine Postenkette [ the smjall guard crdon]), but within the Große Postenkette (= big guard cordon) which was canceled after work and placed arround the camp in a perimeter of 2 km). And luckily for them after the ineffective search for them.

Paulheald

Post by Paulheald » 20 Apr 2015, 10:58

Many thanks History 1 - now I understand how they were able to escape after the daily working detail had ceased. :)

GregSingh

Re: Another Monowitz structure gone

Post by GregSingh » 26 Apr 2015, 12:28

Makarov wrote:And as you say, there is lot to be seen in Monowitz.
Another Monowitz structure gone.
Two Google Street View photos of the west part of the former Lager VI Pulverturm...
Monowitz old.jpg
West side of former Lager VI Pulverturm
Monowitz new.jpg
West side of former Lager VI Pulverturm

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 26 Apr 2015, 15:33

When I was there this past November, that new construction went down almost to that so-called SS water tower (or whatever it was). But it looked like they intended to bypass that, or leave it alone. But it was right at the edge of the construction site. The large water reservoir ruins are in between ... I wonder if they will be affected by the construction.

Google Street View is so great for "exploring" Auschwitz ... you can go down almost every street except inside the museum areas. So many places in Germany don't have it at all, or have lots of places fuzzed out.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 27 Apr 2015, 03:06

Main water treatment plant for IG Farben Monowitz was located in Kruki, to the north of Lager I.

Site of the former water treatment plant (Wasserwerk).
Wassewerk.jpg
Wasserwerk Kruki

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 27 Apr 2015, 03:25

A large gravel pit (Kiesgrube) was located west of water treatment plant. Fishing lakes are there today. A rail connection (Kiesbahn) to the main IG Farben complex run along today's Wiklinowa Street.

Kiesbahn, a view towards Kiesgrube
Kiesbahn.jpg
Kiesbahn - Monowitz

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 27 Apr 2015, 15:24

Greg, the only village/city with the name "Kruki" in poland is more than 450 km north of Auschwitz. https://tinyurl.com/kw6tz7u
I guess you´re talking about the Lake Kruki?

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”