NSDAP propaganda regarding democracy prior to takeover

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Glebsky

NSDAP propaganda regarding democracy prior to takeover

Post by Glebsky » 10 Mar 2015, 02:56

Does anybody know good empirical literature on NSDAP elections' propaganda prior to coming to power? I am interested in to what extent they already promoted dictatorial rule and anti-parliamentarianism prior 1933. Or did they also promoted some (disingenuous) parliamentary-democratic slogans, despite their hatred toward Weimar democracy. Did they operate at all with the terms like direct democracy, representative democracy? Obviously they were accused by rivals of desiring dictatorship, but what arguments did they use to defend themselves?

I guess there could be some literature on concepts of the Nazi referendums, but I am mostly interested in their election propaganda on democratic institutions/popular mandate prior to takeover.

Max

Re: NSDAP propaganda regarding democracy prior to takeover

Post by Max » 10 Mar 2015, 15:58

This link may be useful

Nazi and East German Propaganda
Guide Page
http://research.calvin.edu/german-propa ... /index.htm
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Max

Post by Max » 11 Mar 2015, 12:38

Why Do We Want to Join the Reichstag?

by Joseph Goebbels

We are an anti-parliamentarian party that for good reasons rejects the Weimar constitution and its republican institutions. We oppose a fake democracy that treats the intelligent and the foolish, the industrious and the lazy, in the same way. We see in the present system of majorities and organized irresponsibility the main cause of our steadily increasing miseries. So why do we want to be in the Reichstag?

We enter the Reichstag to arm ourselves with democracy’s weapons. If democracy is foolish enough to give us free railway passes and salaries, that is its problem. It does not concern us. Any way of bringing about the revolution is fine by us. .....................................................
Continues at
http://research.calvin.edu/german-propa ... grif06.htm
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Glebsky

Post by Glebsky » 14 Mar 2015, 21:46

Thank you Max! This is good stuff. I just wondered whether there was any flirtation with parliamentarism or democracy, as with fascist parties in some other states, for public image, or so. But I guess Weimar's democracy was quite a popular target and there was no need to portray oneself less radical than intended.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”