Ministry of Transport

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Mannheim

Ministry of Transport

Post by Mannheim » 25 Jun 2015, 06:46

I just read on Wikipedia:
"Another associate, Erich Klausener, was also shot dead at his desk at the Ministry of Transport."
Is this the Ministry of Transport building they are talking about?
Attachments
Transport.jpg
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

GregSingh

Re: Ministry of Transport

Post by GregSingh » 25 Jun 2015, 13:11

According to 1934 Berlin address directory Reichsverkehrsministerium was located at Wilhelmstrasse 80. The same source mentions Klausener as Leiter: Schiffahrtabteilung at the same address. But I have no idea in which part of that large building his office was.

I looked up address Voßstraße 33, which is a building on your photo and the same source have it owned by Wertheim together with numbers 24-32.
But according to information I found here: Reichsverkehrsministerium Nr.33 was part of the complex from 1925.
Not sure which information is correct...

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 26 Jun 2015, 00:58

Early 1930's map shows Voßstraße 33 as part of Wertheim warehauses.
It appears as a part of DRG building on 1936 map.
Reichsverkehrsministerium is on both at Wilhelmstrasse 80. They took over DRG building in 1937.
1934.jpg
Reichsverkehrsministerium ca.1934
1936.jpg
Reichsverkehrsministerium 1936

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 26 Jun 2015, 02:11

Great maps, Greg! I'll be in Berlin this October and am keen to chase some of this stuff up. As for the Ministry of Transport building, I recall a member of this forum having been (fairly recently, i.e. within the last two years or so) inside the building and having posted photos, including shots of the winged wheel motif of the railways (I think) on the banister. BTW, you are probably familiar with the series of Robert Conrad photos - including a couple of the building in question - posted here:
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/hitle ... 44-25.html
On a related matter, I photographed the building below in 2011. It's in Leipziger Strasse and may well be situated at 125 on your 1936 map as I remember finding out through the internet that it was something to do with rail transport. I even found a period photo of the building. Of course now I can't find the reference again. The building is, I think, the only surviving NS period building on that side of Leipziger Strasse.
Attachments
Leipziger.jpg
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 26 Jun 2015, 02:48

Yes, it was Leipziger Strasse 125 (now number 6). Another building from Reichsverkehrsministerium complex.
You can find maps at http://www.histomapberlin.de/.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”