Decision on Hitler's Braunau Birthplace

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Wordsworth

Decision on Hitler's Braunau Birthplace

Post by Wordsworth » 18 Oct 2016, 15:52

It appears the decision has been made to demolish it.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... house-down

Hessler86

Re: Decision on Hitler's Braunau Birthplace

Post by Hessler86 » 19 Oct 2016, 08:52

Vergangenheitsbewältigung is converted to Vergangenheitsvernichtung, it seems.
"Merken Sie sich eins; bei uns zu Haus' sind nur die Mannschaften Ostmärker.
Die Herren Offiziere sind Österreicher! Servus Doktorchen!"

Oscarruben

Post by Oscarruben » 05 Nov 2016, 03:58

They believe that demolish the building is finished with the memory of HITLER? It is idiocy. With BERGHOF did the same and were not able to forget anything. Barbarians destroyed believing that kill ideas. They may prohibit the NSDAP but they forget that this is not a mere political party, who believe and do not know anything.
Traductor de Google para empresas:Google Translator ToolkitTraductor de sitios webGlobal Market Finder

nicholasraphael

Post by nicholasraphael » 18 Nov 2016, 12:00

It's sad that any piece of history, whether good or ill, would be destroyed. If it is indeed a "reminder" of evil, then surely such a reminder is necessary. The precedent of its destruction, along with the Palace of the Republic or the Fuhrerbunker, supports the idea that history should be erased according the the changing appetites of the present, rather than preserved for the observance of posterity. Such an idea is nothing short of anachronistic vandalism, and is the antithesis of true history as an intellectual, rather than a political discipline.
"We are...as a great family of nations, involved in a struggle which we must at all costs win, and which we believe in our hearts we will win..."

Robert Menzies, Declaration of War Broadcast,
3rd September 1939

ManfredV

Post by ManfredV » 19 Nov 2016, 18:34

There's no decision yet. An austrian minister talked about demolision. But there is a commission of experts (historians, local politicians etc.) who suggest a museum and information centre.

GoeringsPetLion

Post by GoeringsPetLion » 19 Nov 2016, 21:24

The house will not be demolished. Experts have suggested to modify the house, especially the exterior.

However, the monument protection authority will surely speak out against these modifications. Let's see who is stronger.

JLEES

Post by JLEES » 01 Dec 2016, 13:56

A museum and information centre would be an ideal solution. They've done this in Nuremberg, Wannsse, various KZs and other places throughout Europe. Last year, for instance, I visited the former Gestapo HQ in Budapest. Tourists now look at the site where the Hitler Bunker used to be and every year millions travel to see places like Auschwitz. Therefore, his birthplace could become a small tourist draw for Braunau that would generate money. Even the Italians have turned the Duce's birthplace into a tourist spot for a small town that would otherwise have nothing to offer tourists. About 15-years ago, I visited the Braunau to look at the structure. Not trying to diminish that city, although it is very nice looking, it is also out of the way and surrounded by many other popular tourist draws that it can't compete with, if the structure is destroyed. The intelligent solution would be to recognize history, by establishing a learning center to anti-Nazi message and make money too. Just destroying his birthplace is idiotically counterproductive that would leave future generations scratching their heads. I hope they reconsider before the damage is done.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 01 Dec 2016, 18:12

Agreed.

Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

ManfredV

Post by ManfredV » 01 Dec 2016, 19:13

Braunau doesn't want any kind of Hitler tourism. But they know that many people come and want to see the house. So an information centre is a good idea. Another idea is to use it for a social project, f.e. a meeting point for elder people or handicapped persons (which it was for some years).
By the way Branau is a nice town with a centre in typical Inn-Salzach and Biedermeier style. It is worth to be visited.

JLEES

Post by JLEES » 01 Dec 2016, 19:40

Yes, I also thought Braunau was a wonderful little Austrian town, but, in terms of tourism, there is much bigger draws in the area that would suck the oxygen way from it. The "Hitler tourism" or histroic tuorism would only enhanse what the town already has to offer. Just to go there 15-years ago was a major effert on my part, because my wife instead wanted to go to other places nearby Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, Linz. Seeing Hitler's birthplace was the only arguement I had to convince her it was a good idea. Few people would travel to see Mt Vernon in the US if George Washington's home wasn't there.

*NL*

Post by *NL* » 01 Dec 2016, 23:05

Correct JLEES, the situation was for me a bit simular. I live about a 1.000km north of Braunau am Inn, and although it is a nice village,
i would never have visited the place without the connection to Hitler.
I guess Braunau will get a lot less of tourist income in the future due to this reason.

JLEES

Post by JLEES » 01 Dec 2016, 23:47

Yes, this decision seems to be very counterproductive. When my family visited Braunau in 2000, we looked over the town's church, eat a meal at a nearby restaurant and my wife actually did some shopping along the main square, before I could locate Hitler's birthplace. I did it through visual recognition of the building and upon discovering its location, then noticed a small historical marker in front of it. Beyond my family there wasn't a sole in Braunau who knew why I was there. For obvious reasons I didn't advertise why I was there. Like you, I'm guessing there will be some drop in tourism when the building comes down. Too bad.

When I was in the military during the Cold War I often visited the Nazi sites in Munich and Nuremberg. There were no tourist brochures then and you had to know what to look for or ask. Often, I remember getting some weird looks when trying to locate something. Recently, while in Munich five years ago, I notised they have Nazi tours that often sell out and Nuremberg also has them too. They have a tour of the 1945 Court House and the old rally stadiums. Nuremberg also has two anti-Nazi museums. While in Berlin in 2007, I also went on the Nazi tour of that city and then next day took the Communist Tour ending at the former East German Secret Police Headquarters that is a money making museum. While in Budapest, I visited the former Gestapo Headquarters that also became the Communist police headquarters during the Cold War. It too had been turned into a museum. No one gives weird looks now. Braunau should step back and look at this and learn something, before it is too late.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 02 Dec 2016, 00:16

"Nuremberg also has two anti-Nazi museums"
Any chance you could tell me where they are please, JLEES? I'll be there sometime next year and would like to have a look. I had a hard time finding the old bunker/police station last time I was there until Geoff pointed out you can't get in anyway.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

JLEES

Post by JLEES » 02 Dec 2016, 01:08

Yes, they have a small one directly underneath the old Zeppelin rally stadium and then the much larger one, where the nazi planned Congress would have been, Mannheim. I wasn't talking about an "old bunker/police station" in Berlin. I visited the old Stasi Headquarters Building that is now a museum. It is part of the Communist Tour of Berlin.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 02 Dec 2016, 22:43

OK, thanks. I know the one in the Congress Hall but I understand the one under the tribune at the Zeppelinfeld is rarely open. Pity. For what it's worth, the best anti-Nazi museum I've seen is the one in the Bendlerblock. Another excellent one is the former Gestapo headquarters in Cologne.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”