Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Geoff Walden » 22 Sep 2014, 18:48

Annelie wrote:while searching for an artist I came across Richard Reiter born in Berchtesgaden.....
well I am including the link because its interesting reading...he had milk and cookies on Hitler's terrace and called him
Onkle Wolff. There is more interesting info contained.
http://bcva.dnfa.com/search.asp?view=lo ... d=453335-1
Thanks, Annelie! This is fascinating reading! I never heard of Richard Reiter before. Two of my favorite subjects together ... the Obersalzberg and s.SS-Pz.Abt. 501 (his unit in the Ardennes).

Here are some photos of Maria Reiter. The photo of her with Paula Hitler was probably from the 1959 Stern article. The source of the other, I don't know.

Geoff
Attachments
reitermaria1959.jpg
source: Stern (?)
reitermariaunk.jpg
reitermariaunk.jpg (3.49 KiB) Viewed 1488 times

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 22 Sep 2014, 20:10

Yes, finding out about Reiter and all the other things contained filled my yesterday lolol....

Apparently I can look it up if you need proof but Reiter and Paul Hitler last lived in a house
across from the bahnhof in Berchtesgaden.....the street is no longer there. Its the grassy knoll
between the bahnhof and the information center.

http://hitlerpages.com/pagina21a.html

BTW......never did find anything on the artist I was looking for.
Berchtesgaden has a way of dragging you in...

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 22 Sep 2014, 20:49

Hi Annelie,

That address given by my friends at The Hitler Pages - Hansererweg 1 in Berchtesgaden - is the address of the Hotel Grünberger, which is still there. So I guess this is where Maria Reiter and Paula Hitler lived in the late 1950s?

BTW, there was an image in another page that was linked to these posts on this topic, that was said to show Hitler and Maria Reiter. It was a photo of Hitler and a little girl, which I have never before seen identified as Maria Reiter, and I don't think it really was her. This photo was published by Hoffmann in "Hitler abseits vom Alltag," and also as a postcard. I think that was just some girl who visited the Obersalzberg as one of the crowds who did so, and she was singled out for a photo while getting an autograph from Hitler.

Geoff

Max

Post by Max » 24 Sep 2014, 13:10

OK - so this before the Berghof renovation/construction but someone has managed to manoeuvre what looks like a very large car in a space smaller than that available in front of and beside the Berghof steps [same as near the flag?]
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 24 Sep 2014, 16:55

FYI:

The Berghof/Oberslazberg in the news:

http://hitlernews.cloudworth.com/eagles ... untain.php
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 24 Sep 2014, 17:21

I couldn't get this link to open up, but they should be talking about the Dokumentation Obersalzberg (in the former Gästehaus Hoher Göll, or what was left of it after they built this display). That's the building that's getting the makeover and expansion in 2015-18, NOT the Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest).

Kehlsteinhaus, Hitler's mountain retreat in Bavaria, is getting a $22 million makeover

Geoff

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 24 Sep 2014, 17:26

The link opens on my MacBook. I would post the copy from the site on the Forum-but it's copyrighted material.

Johnny R.
• American Patriot
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 24 Sep 2014, 17:43

Here Geoff
Kehlsteinhaus, Hitler's mountain retreat in Bavaria, is getting a $22 million makeover
The Eagle's Nest (Kehlsteinhaus - a 50th birthday present for Adolf Hitler) is getting a $22.5 million renovation. Hitler's former lair is now an information center, and will be expanded to some 27,000 square feet. The pricey makeover, to begin in 2015, is expected to take three years.
(msn.com)
They did get it wrong. Obviously they copied MSN who initially got it wrong.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 24 Sep 2014, 21:35

Hi Annelie,

I'm curious - what artist were you searching for? Have you ever run across an artist named Fritz Felix? I have a couple oil paintings that he did, one of the Königssee and one of the Wilder Kaiser mountains in Austria. I could never find any info on him or even find his name in a listing. These paintings seem to be from the first half of the 20th century.

Geoff

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 24 Sep 2014, 22:04

Hi Geoff,

Was looking for M. Lochnar of Berchtesgaden. Lochnar was a pretty well known artist but not M..must be an later
relative. I once copied from a site lots of his paintings and for some reason decided maybe I should see if I
could purchase one....no luck.
Couldn't even find the first site that I viewed all his paintings. They were not partically what one would call
great art more decorative but I was looking for something original that came from someone who actually
had lived there. I believe he was from early 20s and long gone.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 24 Sep 2014, 22:14

Please attached a couple of his works on the Forum. I'm sure I have seen his work but the name does not ring a bell.

Thanks Geoff and Annellie.

Johnny R.
• American Patriot

Max

Post by Max » 25 Sep 2014, 05:16

Annelie wrote:Hi Geoff,

Was looking for M. Lochnar of Berchtesgaden. Lochnar was a pretty well known artist but not M..must be an later
relative. I once copied from a site lots of his paintings and for some reason decided maybe I should see if I
could purchase one....no luck.
Couldn't even find the first site that I viewed all his paintings. They were not partically what one would call
great art more decorative but I was looking for something original that came from someone who actually
had lived there. I believe he was from early 20s and long gone.
If you mean M.Lochner
then check here
PAINTER
http://www.antikbayreuth.de/kuenstlerve ... rchte.html
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Der-Watzmann-Olg ... 1484682591?
clk_rvr_id=702442467296&nma=true&si=BepCft%252FPImS4sgCIaYHbXixlZvE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
PHOTOGRAPHER
http://www.bendav.nl/mil.html
http://www.zvab.com/Ansichtskarte-Kehls ... 28836/buch
http://www.heimatsammlung.de/topo_unter ... sgaden.htm [3 pages]
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Timo-T

Post by Timo-T » 25 Sep 2014, 15:37

Hi,

I found in the older postings of this thread some pictures of the "Hartmann Map". Also on Geoffs Website I can see some little pictures of this map.
Where can I find or buy this (complete) map? Is this map in a book? Shows this map all buildings on the Obersalzberg? Please give me some infos about this map. Thanks
Timo
Sorry for my english. The google translator helps me sometimes with the translation. I hope you can understand me.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 25 Sep 2014, 17:33

Hallo Timo!

I think I know where there is a full-size copy of the Hartmann map, but I don't have a copy myself. :(

However, the portions you have seen in this thread were scanned from:
Max Hartmann, Die Verwandlung eines Berges unter Martin Bormann, Berchtesgaden, Verlag Anton Plenk, 3rd ed., 2001, ISBN 3-922590-52-7. There are several portions of the map in some detail in this book, but not a copy of the entire map. The entire map can be seen in Florian Beierl's book Hitlers Berg, but at a very small scale.

There are often inexpensive copies of Hartmann's book on eBay.

Grüße,

Geoff

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 25 Sep 2014, 18:05

Michael Lochner lived at the Obersalzberg farm called Baumgartmühle. This farm was located on the right side of the road going up to the main Obersalzberg area, in the big curve just uphill from the drive that later went to the Gutshof (now the golf club). (Actually, the building was just past the now defunct drive that used to lead to the pig sty and hay barn.) Lochner was a painter and photographer who had a studio and sales shop just up the road at the nearby Alpengasthof Steiner. Both of these properties were bought by Martin Bormann and demolished ca. 1937. (Hellmut Schörner and Rosl Irlinger, eds., Der alte Obersalzberg bis 1937)

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”