Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Geoff Walden » 28 Oct 2014, 19:29

I liked the pic of the LSSAH guard force formed up outside the front door of the Türken. Other than that, I saw nothing out of the ordinary, but this is presumably only a small sample of the photos, and there are hopefully more unusual shots.

More info on Kempinski taking over management of the InterConti Resort Hotel. I guess we will have to get used to saying "Kempinski" instead of "InterConti." Maybe they will adjust the room prices into a range that is at least sensible.
http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4067522.html

Geoff

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 28 Oct 2014, 19:50

Maybe they will adjust the room prices into a range that is at least sensible.
I very much doubt it....if anything the prices will remain the same if not more.
Lagerfeld not known for sensible prices whether hotels or clothes lolol....

Oberhessin

Post by Oberhessin » 02 Nov 2014, 10:07

Something different but interesting too: Lioba Schmitt-Imkamps book on Roderich Fick has just been published.

Jeroen7

Post by Jeroen7 » 02 Nov 2014, 20:34

[off-topic] New epidodes of Now & Then of Graz will be posted here. [/off-topc]

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 02 Nov 2014, 20:44

Excellent......thankyou

AlainDucasse

Post by AlainDucasse » 05 Nov 2014, 12:42

Does somebody know the exact location of Eva Brauns living-room at the Berghof. I only found her bedroom on the first floor close to AHs bedroom.
Eva Braun Livingroom Berghof.jpg
Eva Brauns Livingroom at berghof (?)
Eva Braun Livingroom Berghof.jpg (177.74 KiB) Viewed 1016 times

Max

Post by Max » 05 Nov 2014, 14:46

AlainDucasse wrote:Does somebody know the exact location of Eva Brauns living-room at the Berghof. I only found her bedroom on the first floor close to AHs bedroom.
The text [above the windows] says Guestroom
Does this make any difference?
Guestroom.jpg
Guestroom.jpg (173.76 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 05 Nov 2014, 14:53

Hi Alain,

I have often wondered this myself ... that is, I have wondered if this room that is often seen as "Eva Braun's bedroom" or "Eva Braun's living room," really was her room. There is a wider view (I don't have it here - I'll post it later) that shows more on the right side especially, and there is a doorway just to the right of the small table (doorway into the bathroom). This general configuration does match the floor plan for EB's bedroom on the first floor, except that plan shows a double bed, not a couch.

If I recall correctly, the original postcard just lists this room as a guest room. Of course, a public postcard would not say anything about EB. :milwink:

(Max already posted this, as I was typing ... ) :thumbsup:

Could it be that EB's bed was a fold-out couch ... or that this was not EB's room after all? (For what it's worth, the house plans do not show any bedroom or guest room with a couch instead of a bed, but this may have no significance.)

Geoff

AlainDucasse

Post by AlainDucasse » 05 Nov 2014, 14:55

Yes, sorry I forgot to say that sometimes its called guestroom sometime its called Eva Brauns living room. For me it looks like a room in the "old Haus Wachenfeld" before rebuilding it to the "Berghof".

AlainDucasse

Post by AlainDucasse » 05 Nov 2014, 15:16

Hi Geoff,

I typed as you posted....

I have checked my Berghof floorplan and found two bed-rooms ("Schlafzimmer") on the 2nd. floor (US first floor). They are above the bed-rooms of EB and AH on the first floor. They look very much like the photo with a fold-out couch etc. For me it looks like there were used as guestrooms (bed-room and living-room).

Alain
Berghof Bedrooms 2nd. Floor.JPG
Berghof 2nd. floor bed-rooms
Berghof Bedrooms 2nd. Floor.JPG (55.78 KiB) Viewed 1001 times

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 05 Nov 2014, 15:27

I know you guys wouldn't have notice this but the sofa isn't exactly
sofa depth. It looks more like a bed with cushions to use as a sofa
unless its the sofa bed unfolded?

I would think Eva had an more elaborate and bigger bedroom and not some
sofa bed but a real bed and furniture that would hold things she needed for the stay?

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 05 Nov 2014, 15:40

Some of the confusion might be that to the general public Eva and Adolph were not considered to be a couple at the time. This fact was known to only Hitler's inter most circle.

Consequently the fact that having a "specific" room labeled as "Eva Braun Bedroom" would not be well publicized in any literature or schematics at the time.

Just thinking? 8O

Johnny R.
Eva.jpg
Eva.jpg (150.63 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

AlainDucasse

Post by AlainDucasse » 05 Nov 2014, 15:44

Like this?
Berghof 2nd Floor Guestrooms.jpg
Berghof Guestrooms 2nd. floor

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 05 Nov 2014, 18:16

That is the wider view that I was going to post. I also considered that bedroom on the floor above, and I do think that is a more likely possibility. Maybe just because I doubt that any period photo taken inside EB's bedroom would have been published as a postcard. It may be that the whole story that this room had any connection at all with EB stems from that photo album with the label "Eva's livingroom", which was a postwar album published as a souvenir for US Army soldiers visiting Berchtesgaden, and that label could very well have been added simply to give this room more importance for album sales (similar to the situation where tour guides used to point out the "hotel where EB stayed when she visited the Wolf's Lair," when she was never anywhere near East Prussia). After all, no photo of AH's Berghof bedroom was ever published (AFAIK, anyway).

The plan views posted are not the original plans. The original plans show these upper floor bedrooms, but they show each room just with a double bed with a night stand at each side. So the other furniture pieces shown on those more recent plans were added by the drafters, not from the originals.

Geoff

bigger_chief

Post by bigger_chief » 06 Nov 2014, 12:16

The original Photo Hoffmann idenifies this only as "Fremdenzimmer" or guestroom.
Attachments
PH 0889 - Fremdenzimmer.jpg

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”