Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
kstdk

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by kstdk » 06 Nov 2014, 12:31

Hello

Some "Berghof" related items at E-Bay.de at the moment:

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_o ... cat=157544

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

avid21

Post by avid21 » 07 Nov 2014, 10:06

i totally agree with Geoff. original photos of the bedroom of AH/EB would not be publicised. the usual pic of the bedroom in circulation IS of the guest bedroom on the 2nd floor. (notice the verandah step out, which was not there on the 1st floor).
would request all to help with any missing details or observations, that can improve these views
Attachments
BERGHOF211204.jpg
BERGHOF211203.jpg
BERGHOF211201.jpg

AlainDucasse

Post by AlainDucasse » 07 Nov 2014, 10:51

Very nice images! I found another photo which also said its Eva Brauns dressing table at the Berghof.
Eva Braun Berghof.jpg
Dressing table of Eva Braun (?) at the Berghof
Eva Braun Berghof.jpg (28.85 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

AlainDucasse

Post by AlainDucasse » 07 Nov 2014, 11:08

One more pic, the "Hess Raum", above AH study located at the 2nd. floor
Attachments
Berghof Hess Room.jpg
Berghof Hess room
Berghof Hess Room.jpg (39.63 KiB) Viewed 1417 times

avid21

Post by avid21 » 07 Nov 2014, 12:09

AlainDucasse wrote:Very nice images! I found another photo which also said its Eva Brauns dressing table at the Berghof.
Eva Braun Berghof.jpg

Alain
Architecturally (decor) this doesnt seems to be from the berghof. looks more like one their city apartments (munich/ berlin)

Biber

Post by Biber » 07 Nov 2014, 15:53

"Hess Raum" Any explanation? Is that where Rudy stayed?

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 07 Nov 2014, 16:05

Eva's bedroom would need to be much larger than any guest room.
After all she was staying there for extended periods. Doesn't make sense
and furthermore she would need far more furniture than any guest room
seemed to be having to make her comfortable.

She had a large clothes inventory and that would mean large closet
never mind shoes etc.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 07 Nov 2014, 20:15

Biber wrote:"Hess Raum" Any explanation? Is that where Rudy stayed?
Yes, this room was the living room of the suite that was for Rudolf Hess in his heyday, when he stayed on the Obersalzberg. The room was officially called the "Untersberg Zimmer," due to the view from the balcony/terrace.

Ecam

Post by Ecam » 09 Nov 2014, 02:24

I have a feeling that this question may have already been answered, I follow this site fairly closely, but after 264 pages on the Berghof!....

So, October saw my fourth visit to the Berghof site, and in the attached photo you can see something I had never spotted before. This appears to be a set of steps, or stairs. I made sure to include the signpost and retaining wall in the photograph so as to allow a viewer to orientate themselves. This to me can not be backfilled rubble as the "stairs" appear to be perfectly level with the terrain, whereas the rubble is just scattered every which way. Does anybody know precisely what this terraced brick structure is?

Many Thanks,

Ecam
Attachments
Berghof Steps.jpg
Berghof Staircase?

Jeroen7

Post by Jeroen7 » 09 Nov 2014, 12:10

Ecam wrote:I have a feeling that this question may have already been answered, I follow this site fairly closely, but after 264 pages on the Berghof!....

So, October saw my fourth visit to the Berghof site, and in the attached photo you can see something I had never spotted before. This appears to be a set of steps, or stairs. I made sure to include the signpost and retaining wall in the photograph so as to allow a viewer to orientate themselves. This to me can not be backfilled rubble as the "stairs" appear to be perfectly level with the terrain, whereas the rubble is just scattered every which way. Does anybody know precisely what this terraced brick structure is?

Many Thanks,

Ecam
On page 204 I asked the same question. It was said it's from the staircase towards the Adjudanten building. But as you can see on your picuture , tehse stairs are inside the retaining wall, thus can't lead to the Adjudanten building. So indeed, what is it?

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 09 Nov 2014, 12:42

Hi all,

I don't believe those are steps per se, but are part of the underlying brick structure of the front or front corner walls of the Berghof. I believe they appear like steps because of the way the rubble of the blown-up Berghof was removed in 1952, and the removal of individual bricks and pieces, one by one, over the past few years. The front and side walls of the Berghof were rather thick here, and the explosion did not blow everything down to ground level, so it may be that there is more of the basic structure of this front corner area beneath the fill that was added later. Much like the burying of most of the driveway surface and the rock retaining wall that ran beside the driveway, which are presumably all still under there. Is the grand staircase still under there as well, at least in part? That's a question that has not yet been answered, as far as I know. There is definitely still much to discover at that site!

Geoff

Ecam

Post by Ecam » 09 Nov 2014, 17:18

Geoff, many thanks for the fascinating reply. I was certain it had to be part of the Berghof structure and not just "trümmer". Wouldn't an archaeological excavation be fascinating? Perhaps after a few more generations have passed.....

Cheers,

Ecam

tunix0

Post by tunix0 » 10 Nov 2014, 11:23

Hi!

I remember a photo of the place, as it was straightened with an excavator. I can't find it and thought it was on Geoffs Site, but it isn't. In my memory, the place was filled in level with the garage. So the lower retaining walls are probably still there.

On this pic vom Geoffs Site you can see those Bricks behind the Warning Sign:

The position and the height level matches the todays photo. As Geoff said, this will be the stones of the front retaining walls. That seems to make sense.

Bye
Christian
---
www.vergessener-beton.de - Gegen das Vergessen!

Ecam

Post by Ecam » 10 Nov 2014, 19:34

Does anyone have any idea then, from which corner of the Berghof those foundation bricks are most likely from? When standing below the Berghof and looking uphill, would those possible foundations be from the left side or the right side of the Berghof?

Cheers,

Ecam

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 11 Nov 2014, 21:36

When I was there on a visit a couple years ago, I took a tape measure to the site to correlate some of the visible artifacts to a site plan. At that time, I marked down that those bricks looked to be from the wall area closest to the garage ... so, in looking uphill, those bricks would have been to the right side of the picture window. That's where I judged them to be, anyway.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”