Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
AlainDucasse

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by AlainDucasse » 12 Nov 2014, 15:58

Does anybody if this is also from Berghof?
Bild3.jpg
Berghof ?
Bild3.jpg (31.84 KiB) Viewed 4503 times

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Nov 2014, 18:17

Looks like Göring's house.

AlainDucasse

Post by AlainDucasse » 12 Nov 2014, 18:23

Thanks, I found another one, which said its Goerings "Alpenhaus".
Bild1.jpg
Goerings Alpenhaus
Bild1.jpg (27.98 KiB) Viewed 4493 times

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 12 Nov 2014, 21:23

Pretty nice far more comfortable looking than Hitler's haus.

Just to throw this in ....
pages 64 & 65 in Rochus Misch book Hitler's Last Witness is a brief description on the layout
of the Haus. Nothing that you don't already know I would fathom.

rabb

Post by rabb » 14 Nov 2014, 00:19

I noticed this post on another thread about antique stores in Munich:

Of course you did not see anything. You had to go inside and ask for it*. Then, somebody would have taken you to an incredible place not so far from there. (I know for instance where is Görings front door today). They went back down, used, drank or ate those things and kept the rest in their houses or in hidden places. Nowadays and the last ten, twenty years, all those people are trespassing and while emptying their houses, their relatives find a lot of things in (most of the time hidden) places. That way longtime forgotten "treasures" re appear at surface and most of the time, they go somewhere. You just have to follow the footsteps. Doing so, you could take some rest in the Berghof terrace furniture (the white ones you see on the victory pictures with the soldiers drinking champagne). I already mentioned on this forum that the giant eagle of the Bahnhof (railway station) is said to be still somewhere in Berchtesgaden. I don't know where, but it certainly can not be in a normal room or storage place.

I wonder what your thoughts are and if anybody knows where the door is or the deck furniture?

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 14 Nov 2014, 00:45

if anybody knows where the door is or the deck furniture?
No sorry I don't, but I wouldn't mind the round coffee table and perhaps an tapestry or two? :)

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 14 Nov 2014, 22:44

I've seen a photo of the Göring Haus door, from someone who has seen it in person. This one wasn't in a Munich antique store - it was still in the Berchtesgaden area, in a private house. Possibly there was more than one door, saved from 1945. There are also some wrought iron window bars from Göring's Haus, and/or the Berghof, in the area. I've seen original furniture from the Stanggass Kanzlei still in the area, and I've heard of various other pieces around the area. I haven't heard of the Berghof terrace chairs before, though - I'd like to see those! And I didn't know there was ever a giant eagle on the Bahnhof - I don't recall ever seeing a photo showing one - anyone else seen such? (Maybe they meant the eagle on the Post wing, but I would not have called that one "giant" ... and the wreath is still there, so the eagle wouldn't be complete, if it survives.)

Geoff

Max

Post by Max » 15 Nov 2014, 10:49

Geoff Walden wrote: And I didn't know there was ever a giant eagle on the Bahnhof - I don't recall ever seeing a photo showing one - anyone else seen such? (Maybe they meant the eagle on the Post wing, but I would not have called that one "giant" ... and the wreath is still there, so the eagle wouldn't be complete, if it survives.)

Geoff
WELL - HERE IT IS
Geoff - the wreath you mentioned must be a fake. ***
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/history-r ... on-481381/

*** IRONY ALLERT
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Cor

Post by Cor » 15 Nov 2014, 13:32

I have a question that maybe is asked before, and i follow the thread often but not seeing or heard anything about it.

Are there any pictures of the second floor of the berghof after the liberation by the Allies. Especially from hitlers office or the other rooms (for example the bedrooms). i ve not seen many pictures.

Stian L

Post by Stian L » 22 Nov 2014, 02:11

Hello and thank you all for this very informative and interresting thread, I came across this forum and this thread before my first trip to Obersalzberg in august and all your knowledge was a great help to me and my friends while being there! I have not had anything to contribute with before now, but last week I was sitting in my apartment in the outskirts of Riga, Lativa, when I heard a sound that I have never heard before other than in movies, it was the air raid alarm, I guess it was just a test, good to know its working in case Putin comes.. But it made me make a search on Google for Riga air raid alarm, and I came across this story about a Latvian who escaped Latvia and the Soviets and ended up in Berchtesgaden, and was there during the bombing of Obersalzberg and the end of the war. Maybe well known to many of you but I dont think I have seen it mentioned in this thread before.

http://www.magic-city-news.com/Features ... 8764.shtml

-Stian

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 22 Nov 2014, 12:06

Max wrote:
Geoff Walden wrote: And I didn't know there was ever a giant eagle on the Bahnhof - I don't recall ever seeing a photo showing one - anyone else seen such? (Maybe they meant the eagle on the Post wing, but I would not have called that one "giant" ... and the wreath is still there, so the eagle wouldn't be complete, if it survives.)

Geoff
WELL - HERE IT IS
Geoff - the wreath you mentioned must be a fake. ***
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/history-r ... on-481381/
*** IRONY ALLERT
Max,

Thanks for the source. Indeed that eagle wasn't on the Post building (that was a stone eagle with spread wings), but with a wingspan of 4 meters (!), this wooden eagle would surely have shown up in period photos of the Bahnhof. I haven't seen it in any period photo, but I will ask a friend whose relative was one of the builders of the Bahnhof, and who has some period photos.

Geoff

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 22 Nov 2014, 12:39

Stian L wrote:Hello and thank you all for this very informative and interresting thread, I came across this forum and this thread before my first trip to Obersalzberg in august and all your knowledge was a great help to me and my friends while being there! I have not had anything to contribute with before now, but last week I was sitting in my apartment in the outskirts of Riga, Lativa, when I heard a sound that I have never heard before other than in movies, it was the air raid alarm, I guess it was just a test, good to know its working in case Putin comes.. But it made me make a search on Google for Riga air raid alarm, and I came across this story about a Latvian who escaped Latvia and the Soviets and ended up in Berchtesgaden, and was there during the bombing of Obersalzberg and the end of the war. Maybe well known to many of you but I dont think I have seen it mentioned in this thread before.
http://www.magic-city-news.com/Features ... 8764.shtml
-Stian
Hello Stian,

Welcome to AHF!
:welcome:

Thanks VERY much for posting this info! This is a great story, with many details that we did not know before! It's wonderful, the stories that are out there, waiting to be found.

I love the details about running to the air raid shelter. They were a LONG way from the nearest public shelter! If they really went all the way to the tunnel system behind the Bahnhof, that was almost 2km! They were closer to the shelter room beneath the Berchtesgadener Hof hotel (just over 1km), but perhaps this shelter was not available, or they didn't know of it. Or maybe that's where they actually went, after all. (It's only the photo that shows the Bahnhof Stollen, not the narrative.) The narrative also indicates that bombs fell in the area between Strub and Berchtesgaden - not just on the Obersalzberg - this fact has been debated in this forum before.

Thanks again!

Geoff

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 22 Nov 2014, 16:57

Great link....thankyou for sharing.

I have ordered the book. I have always had an interest in Latvians during the war. How interesting it is
to note that there were 19 living in Berchtesgaden and in the area at the time. Makes on wonder how and why
they got there?

In Berlin's last days there
were 80 but these last years they are pretty well accounted for. Fascinating.

Stian L

Post by Stian L » 22 Nov 2014, 21:37

Well thank you for the welcome! Nice to hear that this was interresting, if I was not in Riga that day I would propably never have found it, but when one of the searchresults contained the name Berchtesgaden I ofcourse had to read it.

Annelie can I ask why you have been specially interrested in Latvians? I guess one reason why they were in Germany is maybe because they one way or another had been helping the german forces, and had to escape when the Red Army was coming. Amongst many native Latvians the german occupation was allmost considered to be a liberation, and many things were a lot easier for them than they were during the first soviet occupation of Latvia 1940-41.

Ulrico

Post by Ulrico » 23 Nov 2014, 13:13

Hello to all here in this fabulous forum about my hometown and it's vicinity. Reading for weeks all your great posts i learned very much, many thing i didn't know or wasn't aware of.

Annelie: my guess would be, there were a lot of slave workers in the region resulting mainly from the extraordinary building projects. i don't know the exact number and their origin, but if you look at the great number of camps all around berchtesgaden (over 100 barracks) and about 20 people in one of these, their must have been more then 1000, probabely over 2000. They came mainly from east europe including Latvia of coarse.

Have a nice sunday
Uli

PS: the actuall weather in Berchtesgaden today is fantastic, sunshine and about 10 degrees celsius ....

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”