Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Annelie

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Annelie » 28 Dec 2014, 01:27

Every time I go there I end up looking at what is the retaining wall....here is an photo
of it when it was built. Looks quite different then.
03.JPG
03.JPG (72.39 KiB) Viewed 2053 times

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 31 Dec 2014, 17:36

76 years ago at the Berghof ... a formal celebration of Silvester (New Years Eve) in the Berghof Great Room. Later on, Martin Bormann demanded that the road to the Kehlsteinhaus be cleared of snow so he and his friends could party the night away up there. Lang's biography says that Bormann drove up the road drunk and almost drove over the side, saved only by a snow drift. Christa Schroeder reported that she advised Hitler on this night that Eva Braun was not the right woman for him, at which Hitler replied, "But she is enough for me!"

1. Heinrich Hoffmann (photographer), 2. Gretl Braun, 3. Dr. Theo Morell (AH personal physician), 4. Helene Bouhler, 5. Phillip Bouhler, 6. Gerda Bormann, 7. Adolf Hitler, 8. Eva Braun, 9. Martin Bormann, 10. Anni Brandt, 11. Christa Schroeder (AH secretary), 12. Freda Kannenberg, 13. Albert Speer, 14. Jacob Werlin (managing director of Daimler-Benz), 15. Margarete Speer, 16. Hannelore "Hanni" Morell, 17. Frau Schmundt, 18. Ilse Braun, 19. Heinz Lorenz, 20. Ludwig Bahls (SS Aide), 21. Gerda Daranowski (AH secretary), 22. Albert Bormann, 23. Sofie Stork (friend of AH and EB), 24. Fritz Schönmann, 25. Rudolf Schmundt (Hitler's Wehrmacht adjutant), 26. Marianne Schönmann (friend of AH and EB), 27. Dr. Karl Brandt (AH personal surgeon), 28. Arthur ("Willi") Kannenberg.

I wish everyone at AHF a great 2015, and I'll sign off now to get ready to watch "Dinner For One." :milwink:

Geoff
Attachments
BerghofSilvester38b.jpg
US National Archives, RG 242-EB-6-7

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 31 Dec 2014, 18:58

Fitting photo Geoff,

Thanks, wishing you also the best for 2015.

acslater

Post by acslater » 03 Jan 2015, 17:35

Great photo and key, Geoff. Quite the cast of characters gathered in one photo. I'm trying to get an orientation of where exactly they're standing. Does the curtain behind them lead to the "Wohnstube" (as I think it's called according to some of my Berghof layouts)?

Adam

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 04 Jan 2015, 15:56

Hi Adam,

Yes, exactly that - the curtain is over the doorway leading into the old Haus Wachenfeld Wohnstube.

Geoff

Steve Hoog
In memoriam

Post by Steve Hoog » 04 Jan 2015, 23:55

I detect a hint of jealousy in Christa ;)
Loyalty is My Honor

Alpenfestung

Post by Alpenfestung » 05 Jan 2015, 00:47

Annelie wrote:wow, thankyou Max and Geoff.

Pretty sure that is the Lochner I was looking for.
I spent hours on Sunday searching and came up with nothing but what I posted which
was entirely off the track but interesting.
Interesting that Lochner's property was bought by Bormann. I had no idea or even considered if
there was any connection with what was going on at the time...it all connects........
Hi all,
I haven't been on the AHF for a while (combination of a really busy Summer/Fall and some ongoing computer issues) so I'm working my way through quite a few new pages - please forgive my replies to some of the older posts here.

I was looking for information on Michael Lochner a couple of years ago, some of what I found online then is gone now. The Lochner family (probably grandkids) owns a vacation rental place in Berchtesgaden, the "Berghof Punzenlehen" http://punzenlehen.beepworld.de/daspunzenlehen.htm . There used to be more information about Michael and his life and work on the Obersalzberg, even a video of an interview with him from the early 1990s (he talked about the eviction from their Baumgartmuehle residence) on their website, but all they have now is a photo album of some of his paintings:

http://www.beepworld.de/photoalbum.html?aid=223989

Michael Lochner, like Ernst Baumann, Ludwig Amonn and others was a photographer and sold postcards of the Obersalzberg and other places around Berchtesgaden. He sold the business to his brother some time after the war to focus on painting.

Hope you find one of his paintings that's in your price range!

Peter
"Change is easy.....improvement is far more difficult"
(Ferdinand Porsche)

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 05 Jan 2015, 01:43

Peter,

I ran across Lochner again in Barbara Cherish book "The Auschwitz Kommandant".

Barbara and her siblings were the children of Arthur Liebehenschel. They were left practically
orphans in Berchtesgaden with an ill mother and no one to help them. A very sad story.
Barabara's sister Antje was placed with Michael and Elizabeth Lochner who were then owners
of Haus Bergluft.....after Bormann took possession of their home on the Obersalzberg.
They were very strict Lutherans but cared for the children well.
Haus Berluft was a beautiful Bavarian guesthouse, a Pension wehre every
summer or winter vacationers, usually the regulars, came every year. Each room was unique,
named by colour, and the wooden furniture was hand-painted by Herr Lochner, our foster father, who was a
well-known landscapte artist and photographer of that area.
Some time later Barbara was also placed with the Lochners also. Barbara's book has many references to Obersalzberg
and Berchtesgaden.

I also remember coming across a site with many photos of his little paintings and decided if I had the chance I would
like to own one......then like yourself it disappeared. I haven't come across any paintings for sale.

WW2 Historian

Post by WW2 Historian » 05 Jan 2015, 05:52

changing the subject, I seem to recall reading somewhere that standing on the Berghof patio, one could see the Northern Lights..

can anyone confirm if this was possible, or if they read that somewhere as well?

Max

Post by Max » 05 Jan 2015, 09:24

WW2 Historian wrote:changing the subject, I seem to recall reading somewhere that standing on the Berghof patio, one could see the Northern Lights..

can anyone confirm if this was possible, or if they read that somewhere as well?
A spectacular red and green aurora borealis lights up the nighttime sky over Bavaria, Germany. Silhouetting the forest below, this unusual northern lights display occurred during a crisp Autumn night in 2003
http://www.aurora-borealis.us/northern-lights.htm
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

tunix0

Post by tunix0 » 07 Jan 2015, 16:13

Hi!

Here is running a sale of a portfolio of photographs of M. Lochner. Maybe someone is interested.

http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s ... 858-76-993

Bye
Christian
---
www.vergessener-beton.de - Gegen das Vergessen!

Jade2014

Post by Jade2014 » 08 Jan 2015, 02:52

@WW2 Historian, 05 Jan 2015, 04:52
Please watch this movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB00lk9rQq8

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 08 Jan 2015, 03:16

thanks Tunix, I am/was.

Suppose most everyone is aware of this link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKaq0cmdP_s

some footage of the Berghof being built and a few interviews.

Alpenfestung

Post by Alpenfestung » 11 Jan 2015, 02:48

Annelie wrote:....

Suppose most everyone is aware of this link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKaq0cmdP_s

some footage of the Berghof being built and a few interviews.

Too many things to watch, I'll never get caught up!! Just kidding of course, thank you Annelie for all the great links you've been posting.

Here's an ad page out of a 1933 Obersalzberg travel guide booklet with ads for Michael Lochner's gallery, the Tuerken and the Antenberg Hotel
OSBguide001.jpg
Lochner gallery ad (source: "Der Obersalzberg" tourist guide booklet, 1933)
According to the ad, the small gallery was located in the Lochner family home on the Obersalzberg:
Baumgartmuehle001.jpg
Landhaus Lochner (period postcard)
"Change is easy.....improvement is far more difficult"
(Ferdinand Porsche)

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 11 Jan 2015, 02:55

That was a beautiful house.

thanks for the sharing....

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”