Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Geoff Walden » 17 Jun 2015, 17:25

Patches wrote:Nice shot of the Berghof steps...
Per the caption of this photo, Hitler's bedroom window shutters (seen upper right) are open. Is that really where his bedroom was located? And what was the room below it with the barred window? If anybody knows... ?
Hi Patches,
Yes, those two open windows were at Hitler's bedroom. The next one back (to the left) was his bathroom, then the next two were Eva Braun's bedroom, and the last one was her bathroom.
Geoff

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 17 Jun 2015, 17:39

Patches wrote:Many thanks, JohnnyRocket! Interesting that one would have to go outside to access the projection room. I also find it odd that the window was barred in the first place, what with all of the security in place up there.
Apparently, that one doorway was the only access into the projection room. Odd indeed, that there was apparently no access from inside the house ... That lower doorway at the front apparently led into the basement, not the projection room. This doorway led into a "Schaltraum" (switch room ?) then into the basement area via steps. I've never read this anywhere, but I assume that basement workers used this Schaltraum to access the basement without having to go into the house itself (there was apparently also basement access from the old Haus Wachenfeld part and also from the main entry corridor behind the Great Room ... I think).

This part/angle of the Berghof was not commonly photographed, but here are some views. In some of these you can see another small window low down near the front corner of the house - this was entry for outside air into the basement ventilation room (also bars over this window).

Geoff
Attachments
berghofstaircase1945_111sca.jpg
US NARA RG 111SC
berghofstaffcar.jpg
US NARA RG 242H
berghofstaffcar.jpg (196.38 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
RG 111 SC 223097.jpg
US NARA RG111SC
BerghofAKcoll.jpg
period postcard
BerghofAKcoll.jpg (114.25 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
berghoffrontcolorlg.jpg
period postcard
berghoffrontcolorlg.jpg (65.24 KiB) Viewed 1527 times

Patches

Post by Patches » 17 Jun 2015, 19:37

Max wrote:
Patches wrote:
Johnnyrocket wrote:
Berghof film room.jpg
What a coincidence! I was looking around for some more Obersalzberg bunker/tunnel videos and happened to find one that the still image above was taken from. Here it is:
Hi Patches could you quote the time signature for the image of the projection ports/film room?
I'm a bit lost.
Cheers
Max
Greetings, Max. I'm a bit lost myself, as I think what I responded to above was a still image of a GI inspecting the contents of a "film room" that JohnnyRocket had posted. I stumbled across a video that the still image was taken from, and that was a film of a bunker storage room that may have had films stored inside it, as well as other things. The GI seen inspecting it was looking at phonograph records. That footage was taken in the bunker and not inside the film room located inside of the Berghof building. So this may not be what you are looking for, but that spot is at about the 2:56 mark of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxhsDlp1pIo#t=535

This film is dated 17 May 1945. At for the film/projection room inside of the Berghof I think the consensuses is that no known photos of it exist (which makes me want to find it even more)! :)

Patches

Post by Patches » 17 Jun 2015, 19:43

Geoff: Many thanks for the detailed information and all of the interesting photos! Much appreciated.

:thumbsup:

Cor

Post by Cor » 17 Jun 2015, 22:59

Interesting pic from the berghof after the partial demolition. I had never seen it.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10978183 ... 4590960368

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 17 Jun 2015, 23:24

Cor—some great images here, thanks for the posting.
• Natural Born American Citizen
• American Patriot
• U.S. Army Vet.1969-'71—Spc.5 Field Artillery
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Cor

Post by Cor » 17 Jun 2015, 23:36

Also pic 300 and 301 i gave in my link are interesting for the discussion you have about the door on the front leading into the cellar.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 17 Jun 2015, 23:46

Cor wrote:Also pic 300 and 301 i gave in my link are interesting for the discussion you have about the door on the front leading into the cellar.
I think that ground level door also lead up to the Film Room with stairs from inside the basement.
• American Patriot
—Sworn by oath to support and defend the "CONSTITUTION" of the United States against all enemies, "FOREIGN" and "DOMESTIC"!

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 17 Jun 2015, 23:57

Where are these stairs (highlighted) going (from a Berghof Basement blueprint)? Am I looking at this wrong?

"Schaltraum" —translates to ‎switchyard or control room in english. Maybe this was not called the film room but was originally labeled the "control room"?

AH Basement.jpg
AH Basement.jpg (165.21 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
Last edited by Johnnyrocket on 18 Jun 2015, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.
• American Patriot

Patches

Post by Patches » 18 Jun 2015, 00:31

Cor wrote:Interesting pic from the berghof after the partial demolition. I had never seen it.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10978183 ... 4590960368
Cor, this link you provided is a terrific resource!! I've just finished scrolling through the photos, all 350 of them and they are amazing. Of special interest (among many others) is photo 300, showing a brave soul going down a hole dug into the ground that evidently leads to the cellar under the Berghof's great hall (image #303 captioned ,,Keller unter der großen Halle'') where further photos were taken. I see that the image was added on 24 August 2014. I wonder if that is when they were able to dig into and enter the cellar? I did not think it even existed anymore or was accessible at all.

Meanwhile, here is another album of photos of the Berghof & related subjects pre-1945 destruction, 591 images (!):

https://plus.google.com/photos/10978183 ... banner=pwa

Obersalzberg, 253 photos:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10978183 ... banner=pwa

And a staggering amount of photos on other TR subjects:

https://plus.google.com/109781830724590 ... banner=pwa

An incredible amount of images!!

avid21

Post by avid21 » 18 Jun 2015, 14:28

Johnnyrocket wrote:Where are these stairs (highlighted) going (from a Berghof Basement blueprint)? Am I looking at this wrong?

"Schaltraum" —translates to ‎switchyard or control room in english. Maybe this was not called the film room but was originally labeled the "control room"?

BERGHOF15May-bg.jpg
hi
this seems to switch panel area. and also the access to the service area. the film control room was over this

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 18 Jun 2015, 15:17

It would appear that there were no stairs leading from the "Control Room" to the "Film Room" which was directly above. This is an odd arrangement, since the film room could ONLY then have been accessed from the outside terrace entrance. It would have been a simple enough process to have installed a set of stairs to this film room from the lower ground level—from inside the Berghof.

Nice 3-D schematic avid21 thanks for the posting. Do you have one for the film room also?

Johnny R.
• American Patriot

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 18 Jun 2015, 16:08

Found some other interesting images of the Great Room and the projector wall openings.
AH Window.jpg
Early and late images of the Great Room.
AH Window.jpg (169.99 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
• American Patriot

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 18 Jun 2015, 16:51

Indeed, we have referenced Harry von Gebhardt's wonderful photo collection pages here many times. Thanks for the 3D, avid21 - that shows exactly how I had described the room layout above, per the blueprints. As stated, no access to the projector room from the room below, which led into the basement. Parts of the Berghof basement are still under there (some parts were collapsed). There was an entry into the basement from the garage, when it was still there. There have been times in the past 15 years when some of the basement was accessible from holes that eroded in, but these holes are always buried again pretty quickly by the authorities. What a display it would make, if they would open these areas up like the Topography of Terror display in Berlin. I can't see this happening, given the track record on the Obersalzberg, but who knows - maybe something positive will happen as a result of the Dokumentation expansion over the next few years.
Geoff

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 18 Jun 2015, 22:06

Another view of the Great Room entrance.
Great Room Entrance2.jpg
Great Room Entrance2.jpg (184.02 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
[/b]
• American Patriot

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”