How did Hitler, Goebbels, etc. learn public speaking?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Marcus

Post by Marcus » 16 Oct 2004, 19:59

Cosaco,

Please write in English.

/Marcus

Jim S

Post by Jim S » 29 Oct 2004, 02:28

I have a book - "The Hitler Years - a photographic documentary" by Ivor Matanle. It has a series of pictures of Hitler taken by Hoffmann in 1925 where Hitler was practicing poses and expressions while listening to a recording of himself on a gramophone. It says that after Hitler studied the pictures and decided what looked right he ordered Hoffmann to destroy the negatives, but he didn't.

Helly Angel

Re: quien sabe?

Post by Helly Angel » 29 Oct 2004, 04:05

Cosaco wrote:Personalmente, creo que Goebbels era un orador natural, en tanto Hitler era un tanto màs producido a decir de los historiadores, sin embargo, independiente de ambas sotuaciones, creo que abos tenìan esa rara cualidad de producir estupefacciòn en sus auditorios.

S.H.
"Personally, I believe that Goebbels was a natural speaker, in the meantime Hitler was a little more produced to say of the historians, nevertheless, independent of both situationes, I believe that boths had that rare quality to produce estupefaction in its audiences."

Fubbik

Post by Fubbik » 09 Feb 2005, 14:07

The Oxford Dictionary defines elocution as "mode, art of oral delivery". Using elocution is being eloquent. Personally, I believe Goebbels to be the better orator of the two.

dbzdude87

Post by dbzdude87 » 15 Feb 2005, 05:30

Fubbik wrote:The Oxford Dictionary defines elocution as "mode, art of oral delivery". Using elocution is being eloquent. Personally, I believe Goebbels to be the better orator of the two.
Personally, I think you are wrong :wink:

I love Hitler's speaking. Goebbels sounded good, but no where near as good as Hitler, and Hitler looked cool doing it.

waffen

Post by waffen » 28 Feb 2005, 08:39

:D interesting post, "jim s", how hoffman never destroyed hitlers early years!. i believe this is still common practice with most photographers prints even today............ :wink:

GeneralSeydlitz

Post by GeneralSeydlitz » 02 Mar 2005, 22:39

Goebbels ability was probably due to he studied Germanistik, History and Philosophy.
One should not forget that. I don't think it's a congenital ability. ;)

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 03 Mar 2005, 07:02

Hitler also learned the art of speaking from his mentor Dietrich Eckart..There are some comparison between the public speaking style of Hitler and Goebbels..

Hitler tend to express in terms of raw, emotional as well as violent gesticulation. His speeches were tend to reach into the audience's emotion and not reason. Therefore, the professor's mention of Hitler's style of public speaking is some sort of psycho-sexual relationship between him and the audiences. He started slowly and then proceed until the climax where the audiences mesmerised and himself were emotionally drain. The Nizkor Project where the OSS pyschological profile of the Fuhrer were published described very well the physio-pyscho conditional of the Fuhrer when he gave speeches..But according to John toland and Ian Kershaw of their biographies on Hitler, if the audience of Hitler's speech were intellectuals and the size of the audience were small, Hitler sometimes fumbled...He was not used being in the company of intellectuals whose reason are more superior to him

Goebbels, although he is not as raw and violently gesticulated like Hitler, tended to be more rhetoric and is brilliant with his manipulation style of words..In fact, in WW2, the most effective public speakers had to be Winston Churchill and Josef Goebbels..Churchill at time tended to be like Goebbels in terms of bravadura and rhetoric especially during the early years of war when England was threatened by invasion. nevertheless, the opposite happens when Germany was about to be defeated, the Goebbels speeches were laced with even more rhetoric just like Churchill in the early years of war..

But Goebbels certainly had an advantage over Churchill. While Churchill was the PM of England he did not have much control over the press unlike Goebbels who were the de facto cultural dictator of Germany

Von Schadewald

Post by Von Schadewald » 04 Mar 2005, 21:57

Where did Oswald Mosley learn his public speaking? Did he also copy Hitler? Hitler had a few notes to which he occasionally referred. Mosley didn't have a scrap of paper. He'd memorised the lot!
Attachments
_38518551_mosley300.jpg
_38518551_mosley300.jpg (8.12 KiB) Viewed 766 times

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”