Television in the 3rd Reich

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
kobold

Television in the 3rd Reich

Post by kobold » 03 Apr 2004, 09:19

I just got this documentry about the 3rd reichs tv broadcasting - heres a few screenshots from it.
It was fascinating to watch and quite impressive for the time.

http://www.walkerboyz.myby.co.uk/ww2/na ... ichtv.html

dave

ihoyos

Post by ihoyos » 12 May 2004, 00:19

As far i know no TV in the fortys

Koen T

Post by Koen T » 12 May 2004, 03:19

A documentary about that was also broadcasted here a few weeks ago. I didn't watch it all though, but I can't remember why. The parts I saw were quite impressive though.
ihoyos wrote:As far i know no TV in the fortys
As far as I know, you're absolutely right! I never thought about this, not even when watching that documentary.
I guess they showed the "programs" in cinemas and other infrastructures like that?
I don't think every German with a projector ordered a copy of the programs ;)

baldviking

Post by baldviking » 12 May 2004, 03:31

Germany broadcasted the worlds first TV-signals in 1936. A small quantity of recivers where produced and then placed in public places, like cinemas, a few in the homes of party officials. None of the transmissions where live TV.

Experiments with TV, both broadcasting and cable, had been underway since the 20's:

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/television1.html

Koen T

Post by Koen T » 12 May 2004, 04:17

baldviking wrote:Germany broadcasted the worlds first TV-signals in 1936. A small quantity of recivers where produced and then placed in public places, like cinemas, a few in the homes of party officials. None of the transmissions where live TV.

Experiments with TV, both broadcasting and cable, had been underway since the 20's:

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/television1.html
Wow, I had no idea of that. I guess you do learn something new everyday! :)

Thank you for the information and link!

ChrisMAg2

Post by ChrisMAg2 » 12 May 2004, 10:11

ihoyos wrote:As far i know no TV in the fortys
This info incorrect.
Germany had TV-broadcasting in occupied Paris from 1941(?) upto 1944. It was broadcasted in the wider Paris area, transmitting mainly entertainment and recorded news, over upto some hours daily to the reconvalecent places and hospitals. The Main transmitter was in/ at the Eifel tower.
Further on, Berlin had a TV- ring-cable network from some amusement areas (Sportpalast, Haus des Rundfunks etc.) to the Hospitals, almost for the entire war, but unlike in Paris, was not broadcasting that much.
There was said to be some TV-cable lines through the Reich and with in Berlin for public (video-phoneing) and official comunication. But I'm not certain, if they were operating during the war.
baldviking wrote:... None of the transmissions where live TV.
That is incorrect too. The TV-transmissions of "Wunschkonzert der Wehrmacht" in the Berlin TV-cable network were live.

Regards
Christian M. Aguilar

Heimatschuss

Re: Television in the 3rd Reich

Post by Heimatschuss » 08 Dec 2014, 12:02

Hello,
ChrisMAg2 wrote: Germany had TV-broadcasting in occupied Paris from 1941(?) upto 1944. It was broadcasted in the wider Paris area, transmitting mainly entertainment and recorded news, over upto some hours daily to the reconvalecent places and hospitals. The Main transmitter was in/ at the Eifel tower.
actually it worked only from 1943 - 1944. Here's an essay (in German) about the German's TV station in Paris: http://www.spiegel.de/einestages/paris- ... 05998.html
Interesting photos though. The transmissions could even be received even at the south coast of England.
Fernsehsender Paris logo.jpg
Fernsehsender Paris logo.jpg (70.8 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
Best regards
Torsten
Last edited by Heimatschuss on 08 Dec 2014, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

toque

Post by toque » 08 Dec 2014, 12:35

I believe that some of the small 'Goliath' type demolition vehicles had a television camera and monitor as well.

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 08 Dec 2014, 14:34

Here is a Berlin television schedule for the week of 26 March 1939 from Berlin hört und sieht. As it says in the link
Since television sets were expensive, they established a dozen television watching rooms around Berlin where people could watch for free.
http://research.calvin.edu/german-propa ... tv1939.htm
Cheers,
Max

AJFFM

Post by AJFFM » 08 Dec 2014, 17:03

Television broadcasting was possible as early as the 1925 but was commercially viable until the mid 1930s when better vacuum tube technology that didn't burn your house down was possible. Germany, the UK and the US all had commercial TV broadcasting that was suspended by WWII. This is the first time I heard that Germany continued broadcasting during the war.

After the war transistors did far more to revolutionise TV than it did radio and the TV revolution started.

Natter

Post by Natter » 08 Dec 2014, 17:10

toque wrote:I believe that some of the small 'Goliath' type demolition vehicles had a television camera and monitor as well.
Interesting. Do you have a reference to this (books etc)?
Germany also developed TV-guided missiles (like the Henschel 293D, which was set in production but never fielded until the end of the war).

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 09 Dec 2014, 05:24

toque wrote:I believe that some of the small 'Goliath' type demolition vehicles had a television camera and monitor as well.
Hello toque,
I have never come across any reference to cameras being mounted on Goliaths or the other remote vehicles, although I'd be delighted do be proven wrong.. A good comprehensive history of German remote control vehicles can be found here at http://militaria.forum-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=386.
Cheers,
Max

Max

Post by Max » 09 Dec 2014, 10:00

Maxschnauzer wrote:
Hello toque,
I have never come across any reference to cameras being mounted on Goliaths or the other remote vehicles, although I'd be delighted do be proven wrong.. A good comprehensive history of German remote control vehicles can be found here at http://militaria.forum-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=386.
HOWEVER
Borgward IV Ausf.A

Some 56 Borgward IV were rebuilt to panzerjäger Wanze armed with six 8.8cm Panzerbüchsen 54 and used at the final stages of the war. At least single Borgward IV Ausf. B were rebuilt and tested with rudder, propeller and floating bulbs for swimming purposes. In 1943 single Borgward IV was fitted with a TV-camera with the purpose to sit in the control-tank and watch a simple TV-screen to see how one drove.
http://militaria.forum-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=386 search page for <tv>

See also http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 2749&hilit
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 09 Dec 2014, 10:47

Thanks, Max. I should have re-read this article more carefully before posting!
Last edited by Maxschnauzer on 09 Dec 2014, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Max

chewy888

Post by chewy888 » 09 Dec 2014, 10:49

If I am not mistaken, the 1936 Berlin Olympics was one of the earliest events to be broadcast on TV, which was still rare at the time. I have come across a documentary on television during the 3rd Reich, but forgot the the title of the docu. Anyway, you can see docus like this on YouTube.

I think there was already the Nipkow TV that are installed on a viewing room and audiences converge for that rare experience. :lol:

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”