Wewelsburg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
perseus

Wewelsburg

Post by perseus » 08 Oct 2004, 19:40

Hello!
Does anyone know more about the SS-knights and the Wewelsburg cult?
I 've been looking around on the internet, but most websites about this subject are bogus.
I know Himmler tried to immitate the knights of Camelot, but I have no clue what their exact goals were. Anyone?

Doggowitz

Post by Doggowitz » 08 Oct 2004, 19:49

There was shortly an intereting Documentaion on German TV. it showed in an animation how Himmler planned to build an SS-Vatican (enormous size!).

Here in German an
Video
http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmt/mediathek/ZDFmt ... --,00.html

Look this pics of the cult places:

Zhe first is the table-round where ceremonies would be held, the second is the place were SS_Officers would be burend in occult ceremonies.

http://www.roland-harder.de/burgen-und- ... gruft.html

Here the plans for the SS-Vatican. Whole villages had to be removed.
http://www.ns-gedenkstaetten.de/nrw/de/ ... ld_41.html

I was already in the Wewelsburg. There is today nothing special left, cuz the SS blow it up before the Yanks came.

it was rebuilt, and only few is left of the original like some runes, black ocult suns and Swastikas. today its an Youth-Hostel.

But I tell you its an CREEPY PLACE!
Its quite interesting! An Must-Go for Wolfenstein-Buffs!

Last edited by Doggowitz on 08 Oct 2004, 20:14, edited 2 times in total.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 08 Oct 2004, 20:11

I suggest you try and obtain one of the books by Stuart Russell - one in German and one in English. Stuart is without doubt the expert on Wewelsburg. I have stayed with him several times in Wewelsburg and we have toured the castle and surrounding area. There is still a lot of history there if you know where to look.
The "Valhalla" is intact as is the Gruppenführersaal and they are not part of the youth hostel. The castle is open to visitors and there is a museum adjacent which is OK, but not comprehensive.
Macher was ordered to destroy the castle in April 1945, but only succeeded in starting a fire which caused extensive damage to the interior. The structure of the building survived, apart from the roof. Local villagers ransacked the smouldering ruin and rescued a large amount of booty and I suspect much of it survives today in the lofts and cellars of local inhabitants. A large amount of furniture and fittings was removed to Gut Bodekin prior to demolition charges being ignited and this was discovered by the Allies when they arrived. The village is full of history and learned researchers will discover a host of SS related material in and on the buildings.
Max.

Doggowitz

Post by Doggowitz » 08 Oct 2004, 20:19

Yes there is an House, with wooden decoration, with lots of interesting runes on it in the area. Most visitors dont notice it.

The Wewelsburg Museum is IMO quite boring. Its way to less about the Wewelsburg but WAY too much about various topics like tools and manufacturing from the 16th-19th century and so on. Not that what you will expect.

Chuck_jm

Post by Chuck_jm » 08 Oct 2004, 20:21

Here are some images of the castle. :D

Cheers

Chuck.
Attachments
room.jpg
Wewelsburg Study Room in 1935, the walls and chairs decorated with various Nazi and Germanic runic ornaments and symbols.
room.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
Wew7.jpg
The restored North Tower with the Crypt in which Himmler intended to be buried
Wew7.jpg (43.95 KiB) Viewed 4234 times

Doggowitz

Post by Doggowitz » 08 Oct 2004, 20:24

Also worth to visit is Quedlinburg, with the curch where Heinrich I. is burried. Himmler believed to be his reincarantion and planned to make also an SS-Ceremonia place of it too.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 08 Oct 2004, 21:06

Long time ago I saw these images from the Jeff Hill website about Nazi Propaganda, unfortunatelly this website is no more.
Attachments
c.jpg
c.jpg (43.21 KiB) Viewed 4221 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
a.jpg
a.jpg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 4221 times

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 08 Oct 2004, 21:09

Attachments
f.jpg
f.jpg (103.07 KiB) Viewed 4221 times
e.jpg
e.jpg (34.62 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
d.jpg
d.jpg (45.12 KiB) Viewed 4220 times

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 08 Oct 2004, 21:12

Attachments
i.jpg
i.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 4219 times
h.jpg
h.jpg (39.41 KiB) Viewed 4218 times
g.jpg
g.jpg (82.81 KiB) Viewed 4218 times

Helly Angel

last

Post by Helly Angel » 08 Oct 2004, 21:13

I have no more material about this place.
Attachments
k.jpg
k.jpg (25.79 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
j.jpg
j.jpg (18.33 KiB) Viewed 4214 times

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 08 Oct 2004, 22:23

Doggowitz wrote:Yes there is an House, with wooden decoration, with lots of interesting runes on it in the area. Most visitors dont notice it.

The Wewelsburg Museum is IMO quite boring. Its way to less about the Wewelsburg but WAY too much about various topics like tools and manufacturing from the 16th-19th century and so on. Not that what you will expect.
With all due respect, you obviously do not know much of the history of Wewelsburg and the surrounding area and it's links to the SS culture. Had you done so, you would understand the reasons for the archeological tools and artefacts and then you would also expect to see them in the museum. The archeology of the local area was of utmost interest to Himmler who considered that the Pagan worship of the elements to be the new religion and Wewelsburg to be the centre of the new world.
The house to which you refer, I assume is the shop front opposite the Ottenshof. The wooden carvings date from the period of the Third Reich and the figures are likenesses of the staff at the SS-Schulehaus Wewelsburg. There are numerous other sites in the village and the surrounding area which have SS links. The small building next door to the Ottenshof has sundial swastikas to the frontage. The Ottenshof was, until recently, an excellent restaurant and was a treasure trove of SS carvings. Sadly, it was badly damaged by fire a few years ago and remained closed for some time. I don't know if it has re-opened yet. Near to the village is the hunting lodge where Himmler stayed on his visits to the castle, now a private house. Also, some buildings of the original concentration camp still exist. The village church was the only Christian church owned by the SS.
Max.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 08 Oct 2004, 22:25

Helly,
Superb images of Wewelsburg which give a good perspective. They make me want to go back yet again!
Thanks,
Max.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 09 Oct 2004, 00:31

Thanks Max!!! In the original website I did get this house, I didn´t post with the others because the building is unknow to me, but reading your post about the castle maybe would be important or interesting, the photo is old maybe change with the time, Do you know what is?

Doggowitz, If you read about the thing, study and know the facts about special places maybe when you visit the place you can see things that the other people couldn´t. The important is the meaning and the Simbolism of the places. IMHO.

Best,
Attachments
l.jpg
l.jpg (34.77 KiB) Viewed 4186 times

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 09 Oct 2004, 00:49

Helly,
If you read my post above, you'll see I mention the Ottenshof. This is that building. It was originally the village hall or Dorfgemeinschaftshaus. When open as a restaurant (as in your picture) visitors could see original carved SS runes and swastikas in the wooden beams and wooden seating if you looked hard enough. (By the way, the food and wine were excellent!)Himmler frequented this building regularly during his visits.
Max.
Last edited by Max Williams on 09 Oct 2004, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 09 Oct 2004, 00:53

8O

THANKS!!! for the great info Max

Best Regards,

Helly

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”