The Berghof Collection

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Vega 2112

The Berghof Collection

Post by Vega 2112 » 24 Nov 2006, 04:30

Hello,

I have been collecting Third Reich item's since 1985. I do take it very seriously,
& travel across Europe regularly to do my buying etc.
I thought I had some pretty good pieces until....

I was able to view, & purchase, various items that belonged to high ranking members of the NSDAP. Many of the pieces were from the Berghof, a great deal have the inventory numbers on paper labels on the reverse. Amongst the pieces are various items that belonged to Adolf Hitler, Braun, Goering, Himmler, Heydrich etc.
I was amazed not only to hold, but to be in a position to actually buy the pieces, it was uncanny !

I know there will be alot of sceptics out there saying "yeah right", but the provenance that backs up each piece just cannot be ignored in any way, shape or form. I was lucky enough to know the dealer who brought the collection off Mr. H., who built it from 1945 to 2000. Many of the pieces are backed up with paperwork from Wilhelm & Margarete Mitlstrasser, the Berghof housekeeper's, Karl Huber, Hitler's Chef, & last, the photographer Hoffman, a personal friend to Mr. H. before his death in 1957.

Amongst the pieces were Bronze's by Liebermann & Breker, Book's from personal Libraries, Miss. Brauns vanity items, Paintings with Berghof Stamps to rear, finger ring's, a desk statue gift from Himmler to Heydrich, Goering's pipes, etc, etc. Unpublished photo's, over 500 +, we knew this due to the fillm being given to Mr. H.
from Hoffman. Photo's of Himmler laughing, feet up on table, Port in one hand ciggerette in the other !!!! These photo's are unbelievable. The list is vast. Many of the static pieces appear in photo's with their former owners ! Now, I have been able to preserve them, & soon they will be in various exhibitions throughout Europe & hopefully beyond.

I have included a photograph to share with the site members.

The root's of the German Workers Party, & a bronze Death Mask
of Dietrich Eckhart with Plaque. It was displayed at the Berghof until 1945, then taken
& hidden until it was given to Mr. H. by the Mitlstrasser's in the 50's. The box was built
post War to hold both the Mask & the Plaque. Behind the plaque is an area that holds
earth from the Grave & a chunk of Eckhart's Gravestone, as well as a 1940 copy of Meine Kampf. A very unusual piece.

There is also a wartime photo of Hitler, but in colour ! This was taken by Hoffman. It has his print code number on the rear, nr6024, & was a birthday gift to Mr. H. in 1955
from Hoffman, with an acompanying letter.

And last are items from Eva Braun's bedside table. All were designed by Albert Speer, & are by the same silver works. Came from Karl Huber, Chef, with letters.
Higly unusual & again very unique.

These are just three pieces of many in the whole collection. I am photographing each
& every piece at present.

Anyway, I have been very excited at these purchases. I have been doing an incredible
amount of research regarding every piece now in my ownership, & I will be giving accounts of these in the next, well, it could be a long time.

Thank you for reading about my experiences.

Nic Smith
Attachments
Eckhart 01.jpg
Dietrich Eckhart's Death Mask
Eckhart 01.jpg (139.31 KiB) Viewed 7902 times
Last edited by Vega 2112 on 26 Nov 2006, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 24 Nov 2006, 10:13

Count me among the non-believers.
Max.

Vega 2112

Post by Vega 2112 » 24 Nov 2006, 12:27

I know, it does sound truly unbelievable, but I am adding some other shot's of items within the Mr. H. collection. These are verified pieces, very important to The Third Reich. One who has verified part of the collection is Hermann Historica of Germany.

I could not believe it until I started my research. I really did just want to share my findings with the other members, these pieces are not being pushed for sale.
I have been waiting for this opportunity since 1985.

The Breker is one of 5 only, it came from the Gestapo Headquarters in Berlin. It was taken from there in 1945. It was then kept in a garage until the mid 80's, repaired & then the stand made. This has been verified 100%.

The desk Eagle was a gift from Himmler to Heydrich.

The Eva Braun item's designed by Albert Speer.

Many thanks for reading.

Nic
Attachments
85 Eva Braun brushes #8BA34.jpg
Miss Braun's Albert Speer designed items.
85 Eva Braun brushes #8BA34.jpg (178.29 KiB) Viewed 6437 times
s Desk e#8BA30.jpg
Heydrich's gift from Himmler.
s Desk e#8BA30.jpg (152.27 KiB) Viewed 6439 times
34. Hitler Bronze by #8BA3E.jpg
One of only five Breker A.H. Bronzes.
34. Hitler Bronze by #8BA3E.jpg (239.51 KiB) Viewed 8393 times
Last edited by Vega 2112 on 30 Nov 2006, 18:28, edited 2 times in total.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 24 Nov 2006, 13:25

Heydrich's gift from Himmler? Oh please.....

Vega 2112

Post by Vega 2112 » 24 Nov 2006, 13:56

I would like to include these items to the Photo's I have already submitted.

The A.H. Signature is on a Luftwaffe Regiment Christmas card.
It came via the Goering family. Verified.

The Seated oil painting is from the Berghof inventory, verified,
I do not own this piece, this is just to expensive at present. I may purchase it later.

The S.A. March is stunning, well documented & verified.

Nic
Attachments
2. Seated Hitler Oil #8BA36.jpg
2. Seated Hitler Oil #8BA36.jpg (238.34 KiB) Viewed 6416 times
33 Hitlers siganature.jpg
33 Hitlers siganature.jpg (194.26 KiB) Viewed 6403 times
6.SA march Munich fro#8BACC.jpg
6.SA march Munich fro#8BACC.jpg (245.12 KiB) Viewed 6406 times

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 24 Nov 2006, 15:13

I must say, if that portrait of Hitler is an original, it's stunning, regardless of whether it was owned by Hitler or not. Who is the artist please?
Max.

Vega 2112

Post by Vega 2112 » 24 Nov 2006, 15:42

Max,

The painting is by 'Artfuhr Seifurt, 1938’. It hung in both the Berghof, & in Wilhelm Frick’s (The minister for the interior 1877-1946) office in Munich, and appeared after the war in Amsterdam.

It is a truly stunning, very well known piece, measureing 95 X 75 cm. The last time it was sold
it reached around £14,000. That was 20 years ago. I cannot tell you how much I want this painting. To see it up close, & to hold it is, well, surreal !
It is one that's eye's follow you around the room.

I have just spent a fortune on these items, I just cannot stretch to this at the moment. I just hope it does not leave England, it may not be seen again, a crime !

Anyway, I will be uploading more shot's including some stunning drawing's etc.

Many thanks.

Nic
Last edited by Vega 2112 on 05 Dec 2006, 03:47, edited 1 time in total.

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 24 Nov 2006, 18:21

I think I would be very sceptical! WOULD LOVE TO KNOW THE DEALER?

Vega 2112

Post by Vega 2112 » 24 Nov 2006, 19:37

I know. I to was sceptical at the start. I have been allowed to research the pieces prior to any purchase. The seated painting of Hitler was once sold quite some time ago by Malcolm Fisher. The Brecker Bronze bust has been verified by Hermann Historica,
he sold one in the early 90's. It fetched in the region of £15,000 back then. There were only five ever made.

The pencil drawing by Max Bruning, 1887 to 1968, was commissioned by Hitler before
the pair fell out & Bruning left for Austria. Not to safe a place from A.H. I think, but he did outlive Adolf !

The picture of Eva Braun was commissioned by Herta Sneider on the Italian Riviera. It has been signed by Braun, & was a gift to Hitler. It has a stamp on the back writtenby Herta Sneider. It hung in the Berghof & was admired by A.H.

The Pencil Drawing was commissioned by Hitler. It is an angle of the Guarded Feldherrnhalle in Munich. It really does look like a grainy photo, uncanny !

The three picture's above are all verified by the Berghof housekeepers, Wilhelm & Margarete Mitlstrasser, in letter's dating from the very late 40's through to 60's. The letters have been studied & verified through various European source's.

I hope everyone enjoy's my findings.

Thanks.

Nic
Attachments
20 Hitler drawing by #8BA31.jpg
Signed Max Bruning Drawing
20 Hitler drawing by #8BA31.jpg (214.62 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
11.Eva Braun drawing #8BA44.jpg
Signed Eva Braun
11.Eva Braun drawing #8BA44.jpg (209.01 KiB) Viewed 6319 times
13 Hitler drawing.jpg
A.H. commissioned Feldherrnhalle Drawing
13 Hitler drawing.jpg (192.7 KiB) Viewed 7508 times

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 24 Nov 2006, 19:47

Well, the Braun sketch is awful and not very professionally executed. Not only does it not resemble her, but I find it hard to believe that Hitler admired it. The drawing of the SS guard is not at the Feldherrnhalle, but at one of the Honour Temples Königsplatz and one must ask, why would Hitler commission such a drawing? Sorry, but I just don't swallow this.
Max.

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 24 Nov 2006, 19:54

I have to concure with Max. These items would consern me. The silver vanity set, well I could do better.

Vega 2112

Post by Vega 2112 » 24 Nov 2006, 21:25

Sorry,

sent the wrong sketch !

This is of the Felderrnhalle drawing. My mistake. They are both by the same artist. Both highly detailed & almost photographic.

The sketch of Eva Braun was done by a street artist, as you see in every city today. Nothing special at all, but does have provenance to accompany it, in two different forms.

A Bronze of Dietrich Eckhart signed by Lieberman. This again was from the Berghof, with provenance. It appears in many period photographs from within
the Berghof. I believe it was the only one ever produced, no other has ever come to light.

Another photo by Hoffman. The walk with the Generals from Himmler's house.
Has a beautiful frame, marked 800 148121. This has now been sold, I do not know the next time I will be able to view this fabulous item.

Also, can we see as you claim you can do better ?

Glad to assist, hope everyone enjoy's the photo's.

Nic
Attachments
12 Felderrnhalle.jpg
12 Felderrnhalle.jpg (186.81 KiB) Viewed 6275 times
39 Dieterick Eckhart #8BBC1.jpg
39 Dieterick Eckhart #8BBC1.jpg (229.6 KiB) Viewed 6277 times
22Hitler & Generals f#8BA32.jpg
22Hitler & Generals f#8BA32.jpg (211.24 KiB) Viewed 6284 times

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 24 Nov 2006, 22:53

More and more doubts grow. This post is either a joke or you have bought a load of nonsense. Do you know a guy called blindpelican by any chance?
Max.

Vega 2112

Post by Vega 2112 » 24 Nov 2006, 23:58

I do not, can you be more specific ?

Also, could you enlighten me on the doubts you have ?
Some of the items have records going back prior WW2, with some very well known
people in the trade. Are you saying that it is all nonsense ? Certain statues have been verified both in relation to sculptor & who they were made for. Is that rubbish too ?

I have a deal with the vendors, no names for now, a life is ending & then the knowledge can
become public.

Also, are you saying the Breker is rubbish ??? It is a documented Third Reich piece.
You have dealt with Hermann Historica, or know a little about them, have you not ?

As is the seated Hitler Oil Painting ??? That is a very well known piece of A.H. art.

Ignore many of the plain frames, alot were post war mounted. Only a few are from the period.

I here what you are saying, but, you have not said why they are nonsense ?

There is a mountain of paperwork with these pieces, do you not think I have researched it ?

Anyway, it will be put together for a major show in the near future where you may see it not more than 4 feet away.

I would like feedback regarding ideas, places outside Europe, etc.

Cheers people.

Nic
Last edited by Vega 2112 on 30 Nov 2006, 18:31, edited 2 times in total.

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 25 Nov 2006, 01:26

MAY I VERY HUMBLY SUGGEST THAT THERE IS A LITTLE CONFUSION HERE.

A Bronze of Dietrich Eckhart signed by Lieberman. This again was from the Berghof, with provenance. It appears in many period photographs from within the Berghof. I believe it was the only one ever produced, no other has ever come to light.

WITH THE RESTORATION OF THE NEW PARTY HEADQUARTERS, HITLER COMMISSIONED FERDINAND LIEBERMANN TO PRODUCE A BRONZE BUST OF DIETRICH ECKART. THIS BUST WAS TO STAND IN THE MAIN HALL OF THE BRAUN HOUSE ON A LARGE PLINTH. ITS POSITION WAS IN A CORNER CLOSE TO ONE OF THE TABLETS BEARING THE NAMES OF THE MARTYRS FROM 9 NOVEMBER 1923. THE BUST HAS RESENTLY BEEN FOUND IN GERMANY. APPARENTLY IT HAD BEEN REMOVED FROM THE BRAUN HOUSE BY A MEMBER OF THE SS IN 1945 AND KEPT BY HIM FROM THIS TIME. SOME YEARS LATTER HE DIED, WHERE UPON IT REMAINED IN THE CUSTODY OF HIS WIFE. RESENTLY SHE DIED LEAVING IT TO HER SON. IN 1993 IT WAS SOLD TO MR JOHN HORN FROM ENGLAND.

This story is unconfirmed, although this is the provinance of the Eckart bust as told to Mr Horn by his German contact.

The photographic evidence places it in the Braun House. This is if the story is to be believed was until 1945.

The next big question.

Another photo by Hoffman. The walk with the Generals from Himmler's house.
Has a beautiful frame, marked 800 148121. This has now been sold, I do not know the next time I will be able to view this fabulous item.

This frame is extreemly suspect for a number of reasons. Most notably is the National emblems in the corners.

From your earlier posts are we to think Mr H is indeed Mr J Horn?

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”