Recommended reading on the NSDAP and government

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Pitino

Re: Recommended reading on the NSDAP and government

Post by Pitino » 02 Sep 2009, 06:45

-"Hitler's Foreign Policy" (1933-1939), by Gerhard L. Weinberg is a very detailed book dealing with all of Hitler's pre World War 2 conquests. Great book!!!

-"Hitler's Political Generals" (The Gauleiters) Volume 1,by David Lyne-Gordon is a good fact check book when looking for bios on Gauleiters during the Third Reich.

-"Hitler's Political Generals" (The Gauleiters including the Reichsleiters) Volume 2, by David Lyne-Gordon is better than volume 1 in that it gives more detail about the specific Gauleiters and covers more Gauleiters than volume1 does. It also provides bios on all the Reichsleiters during the Third Reich.

Pitino

Olympiaryan

Post by Olympiaryan » 05 Mar 2010, 14:22

Thanks Pitino for your reviews.

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 17 Mar 2010, 22:20

I started to collect bio books upon NS leadership in germany. In this thematic thema you will find

- Statisten in Uniform by Joachim Lilla and Andreas Schulz
note : most comprehensive book upon Mitgiedern der Reichstag 1933 1945

- Das Personen lexikon zum Dritten Reich Wer war was vor und nach 1945 by Ernst Klee
note : very helpfull to find an info some mistakes but finally a real handbook of subject

- Biographisches Lexikon zum Dritten Reich by Hermann Weiss
note : less developped but interesting

- Funftausend Köpfe by Stockhorst wer' war was im III Reich
note :my first one from 1967 a classic

- The Nazi Elite by Ronald Smelser and Rainer Zitelmann (Die Braune Elite : 22 Biographische Skizzen)
note : 22 interesting biographies of senior NS leaders very good

- Die braune Elite II : 22 weitere biographische Skizzen by Smelser Syring and Zitelmann
note : I prefer this one with bios of less known leaders (Backe, Hilgenfeld, Gürtner, Otto Wagener...)

- Die Führer der Provinz : NS-Biographien aus Baden und Württemberg by Michael Kissener and Joachim Scholtyseck
note : a master book upon NS, Administration and police leaders in South Germany

- Die Steiermark im Dritten Reich 1938 - 1945 by Stefan Karner
note : very complete upon this austrian gau

- Kärntens braune Elite by Alfred Elste
note : interesting book showing 20 bios of former NS leaders of Carinthia

- Geschichte der Freien Hansestadt Bremen by Herbert Schwarzwälder
Volume IV Bremen in der NS-Zeit 1933-1945
note : master book upon Party, Police and Administration in Bremen

following ....

Georges

-

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 17 Mar 2010, 22:33

Georges JEROME wrote:I started to collect bio books upon NS leadership in germany. In this thematic thema you will find

- Das Personen lexikon zum Dritten Reich Wer war was vor und nach 1945 by Ernst Klee
note : very helpfull to find an info some mistakes but finally a real handbook of subject

- The Nazi Elite by Ronald Smelser and Rainer Zitelmann (Die Braune Elite : 22 Biographische Skizzen)

- Die braune Elite II : 22 weitere biographische Skizzen by Smelser Syring and Zitelmann
note : I prefer this one with bios of less known leaders (Backe, Hilgenfeld, Gürtner, Otto Wagener...)

- Die Führer der Provinz : NS-Biographien aus Baden und Württemberg by Michael Kissener and Joachim Scholtyseck
note : a master book upon NS, Administration and police leaders in South Germany

following ....

Georges

-
Georges,
-You have named a lot of good books!!!! I have some of them, but the others I wish I had!!! One of the first NSDAP books I ever purchased was "The Face of the Third Reich" by Joachim Fest. That was the book that got me started on researching the Third Reich, particularly it's Leaders.

Pitino

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 07 Apr 2011, 20:41

Hello,

Just back from Prag, I found very interesting books (in czech)

- PROTEKTORAT Cechy a morava v obrazech by Jan B. Uhlir
799 pages a pictural album dealing with all aspects of the german occupation and collaboration with a lot of documents and photos published in 2008 a must.

- A czech editor published "fac similé" of the Heinrich Hoffmann Albums with all original pictures (text in czech). : Hitler in France, Hitler in Sudetenland, Hitler and the Anschluss...

prices of books are very interesting in CZ !

enjoyable holidays and good bargains !

Georges

Olympiaryan

Post by Olympiaryan » 08 Apr 2011, 18:38

You might also have a dekko at these
http://www.militarypress.co.uk/german_a ... ightsCross

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 08 Apr 2011, 22:52

Hello,

another standard one :

Der Preussische Staatsrat 1921 1933 Ein biographisches Handbuch by Joachim Lilla Droste Verlag

comments : cover all the NS state councellors (bios) . Interesting because complete senior NS leaders who were not Members of the Reichstag.
Complete very well Statisten in Uniform by the same author (and Andreas "AnDie" Schulz).

Georges

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 27 Jan 2012, 14:11

Georges JEROME wrote:I started to collect bio books upon NS leadership in germany. In this thematic thema you will find

following ....

Georges

-
Do not forget the one you were a writer together with me
Phil Nix

Michal78

Post by Michal78 » 29 Apr 2012, 20:53

Hello Mike,

do I understand correctly that Roger Bender has aldready released the first volume of your Gauleiter book?
www.bender-publishing.com/Gauleiter.html

Best regards,
Michal

Boby

Post by Boby » 04 May 2020, 19:50

For interested readers, there is a biography of Fritz Bracht to be published by Ferdinand Schoeningh.

https://www.schoeningh.de/view/title/53 ... 9&result=2

Boby,

Boby

Post by Boby » 11 Jul 2021, 16:38

Boby wrote:
04 May 2020, 19:50
For interested readers, there is a biography of Fritz Bracht to be published by Ferdinand Schoeningh.

https://www.schoeningh.de/view/title/53 ... 9&result=2

Boby,
Now available
https://www.schoeningh.de/view/title/53 ... S&result=1

I don't expect an english translation, but who knows...

Boby,

steve248

Post by steve248 » 04 Jul 2023, 12:32

In 2020 Harald Sandner published a four volume set "Hitler. Das Itinerar. Aufenthaltsorte und Reisen von 1889 bis 1945" (Berlin Story Verlag, Berlin). Through one of amazon's sub-sellers I just received Volume 4 (1940-1945). It is a large paperback of 650 pages. A reasonable price of about 30 US dollars.

The pages are set up to give date and location and what Hitler did and met and some comments on what was decided and occasionally world events which may have triggered certain meetings etc. It is full of pictures. The last 100 pages has several sections; "Was geschah mit Hitlers Leichnam?", "Wo wohnte Hitler?" (3 pages of his addresses 1889-1945),
"Welche Verkehrsmittel nutzte Hitler? (motor vehicles Hitler drove or was driven in including the Kfz-Kennzeichen; a page on Hitler's trains; five pages incl photos of his aircraft; one page and photos of 'his' ship 'Aviso Grille'); "Statistik über Hitlers Aufenthalte in ausgewählten Orten" (three pages of towns and locations from most to little - e.g. 3926 days in Munich and 1894 days in Berlin; 786 days at Wolfsschanze and 105 at Werwolf).

You could not ask for more if you were looking to confirm where Hitler was on a particular day and who he met. As a Dienstkalender I do not think it will be bettered.

I have only a couple of "picky" points. I was expecting more meetings with Himmler than mentioned in the three Himmler Dienstkalenders. I hoped Sandner had more information about the fateful decisions taken in August 1941 but there is nothing more than is known. And no index. But I am happy with the book.

ghost1275

Post by ghost1275 » 25 Jan 2024, 20:06

During Nazi regime, did major governmental department appoint unterstaatssekretär to support staatssekretär? Does this position/paygrade still exist in today’s Germany federal govt?

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”