State Funerals in the Third Reich

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
roger-moor

Re: State Funerals in the Third Reich

Post by roger-moor » 08 Jan 2009, 11:07

Excellent, thanks alot guys.

I think I have what I need now.

Thanks for all your help.

Roger

Wolfgang luth

Post by Wolfgang luth » 16 Jan 2009, 03:45

According to Jordan Vause, author of "U-Boat Ace, the story of Wolfgang Lüth" Lüth's state funeral marked the last official act of the Third Reich. The British actually allowed the swastika flags and other Nazi banners to be unfurled and waved around one last time, even though the war had been over more than a week.

Wolfgang Lüth and his funeral are a key moments in my new novel, Germania, coming out Feb 2009 from Simon & Schuster.

I would recommend Jordan Vause's fine book to anyone interested in the subject,

My novel might be what you'd call "tragic slapstick"

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 17 Jan 2009, 16:31

Guys,
Ludwig Siebert died November 1,1942, and he may have received a State Funeral. One would think that the Premier of Bavaria would have been afforded that honor, but I am not positive.

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 14 Mar 2009, 16:59

Roger,
I know that earlier you were interested in State Funerals after 1942 and I thought that Josef Burckel would have been afforded one. Well, I have found a positive source that was posted over two years ago on the Forum that stated Burckel was indeed given a State Funeral in Neustadt-an-der-Weinstrasse after his death in 1944. Sorry that it took so long!!!!

Pitino

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 14 Mar 2009, 17:45

Two of the victims of the Stauffenberg bomb, Günther Korten and Rudolf Schmundt, were given State funerals at the Tannenberg memorial in East Prussia. I'm not sure where Korten was buried, but Schmundt was laid to rest at the Invalidenfriedhof in Berlin.
Max.

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 14 Mar 2009, 21:03

Brillantentraegers --
Walter Nowotny was given a state funeral in Vienna in November 1944.
Helmut Lent was given a state funeral from the Reichschancellery in August 1944.

Mark Costa

roger-moor

Post by roger-moor » 14 Mar 2009, 21:35

Thanks very much all of you. Most helpful.

Very best

RM

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Post by Igor Karpov » 22 Dec 2009, 14:19

General der Flieger Hermann von der Lieth-Thomsen. Generaloberst Hubert Weise placed the "Führer’s wreath" at the state ceremony in the Reichsluftfahrtministerium at 10 august 1942.

Regards,
Igor

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 31 Dec 2009, 07:42

-I have a new State Funeral that took place in 1936!!! I am unsure if the spelling is correct, but after viewing a History Channel program I learned that a Wilhelm Gustloff of Switzerland recieved an elaborate State Funeral in Berlin from the Nazi Party in 1936. Apparently he was Head of the NSDAP-Apparatus in Switzerland and was assassinated in 1936 by a lone shooter in his home. He was supposedly shot 5 times by the assassin who gave himself up directly following the event. The Nazi Party tried vehemently to have the shooter extradited to Germany for trial, but the Swiss government resisted all their attempts. Being so close to the 1936 Olympic Games the Nazi Party staged a grand State Funeral for one of their Leaders abroad. This is the first I have ever heard of this man or this event so if anyone can add to what I have or make corrections to what I have then please do so!!!

Pitino

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Post by Igor Karpov » 31 Dec 2009, 09:13

Pitino wrote:-I have a new State Funeral that took place in 1936!!! I am unsure if the spelling is correct, but after viewing a History Channel program I learned that a Wilhelm Gustloff of Switzerland recieved an elaborate State Funeral in Berlin from the Nazi Party in 1936. Apparently he was Head of the NSDAP-Apparatus in Switzerland and was assassinated in 1936 by a lone shooter in his home. He was supposedly shot 5 times by the assassin who gave himself up directly following the event. The Nazi Party tried vehemently to have the shooter extradited to Germany for trial, but the Swiss government resisted all their attempts. Being so close to the 1936 Olympic Games the Nazi Party staged a grand State Funeral for one of their Leaders abroad. This is the first I have ever heard of this man or this event so if anyone can add to what I have or make corrections to what I have then please do so!!!

Pitino
On February 4, Hitler mailed the telegram to the widow of the Landesgruppenleiter Wilhelm Gustloff, but on February 12, the funeral took place in Schwerin.

Regards,
Igor

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Post by Igor Karpov » 31 Dec 2009, 11:39

General Karl Litzmann was given state funeral in Neu-Globsow on 3 June 1936.

Regards,
Igor

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 31 Dec 2009, 16:59

Transpspeer wrote:
Pitino wrote:-I have a new State Funeral that took place in 1936!!! I am unsure if the spelling is correct, but after viewing a History Channel program I learned that a Wilhelm Gustloff of Switzerland recieved an elaborate State Funeral in Berlin from the Nazi Party in 1936. Apparently he was Head of the NSDAP-Apparatus in Switzerland and was assassinated in 1936 by a lone shooter in his home. He was supposedly shot 5 times by the assassin who gave himself up directly following the event. The Nazi Party tried vehemently to have the shooter extradited to Germany for trial, but the Swiss government resisted all their attempts. Being so close to the 1936 Olympic Games the Nazi Party staged a grand State Funeral for one of their Leaders abroad. This is the first I have ever heard of this man or this event so if anyone can add to what I have or make corrections to what I have then please do so!!!

Pitino
On February 4, Hitler mailed the telegram to the widow of the Landesgruppenleiter Wilhelm Gustloff, but on February 12, the funeral took place in Schwerin.

Regards,
Igor
Transpspeer,
-Thanks for correcting me on where the funeral was held!!! I could have sworn the program that I was watching said Berlin. Thanks for adding a date for the funeral too.

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 02 Jan 2010, 21:31

-I have found another State Funeral!!! The German Television Pioneer, Paul Nipkow, was given a State Funeral in Berlin following his death in (1940). He was buried at the Municipal Cemetary Pankow 3.

Pitino

pavel michalek

Post by pavel michalek » 02 Jan 2010, 21:57

Another state funeral was in Munich (November 10, 1939) for victims of Georg Elser´s assassination attempt on Hitler.

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 24 Feb 2010, 22:54

-I have found a new State Funeral that took place during the Hitler Regime!!!! Prof. Dr. Anton Waldmann died on (March 26,1941) and Hitler ordered his State Funeral for (March 30,1941). Leonardo Conti and Kurt Blome laid the wreath at his grave.

Pitino
Just mentioned on page 1 of this thread, dear Pitino :idea: :)
Dieter Z.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”