Hitler's Physicians

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Annelie

Re: Hitler's Physicians

Post by Annelie » 08 Feb 2011, 13:27

Ferdinand Sauerbruch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Sauerbruch
Ernst Ferdinand Sauerbruch (3 July 1875 – 2 July 1951) was a German surgeon.

Sauerbruch was born in Barmen (now a district of Wuppertal), Germany. He studied medicine at the Philipps University of Marburg, the University of Greifswald, the Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, and the University of Leipzig, from the last of which he graduated in 1902. He went to Breslau in 1903, where he developed the Sauerbruch chamber, a pressure chamber for operating on the open thorax, which he demonstrated in 1904. As a battlefield surgeon during World War I, he developed several new types of limb prostheses, which enabled simple movements.

Sauerbruch worked at the Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich from 1918 to 1927 on surgical techniques and diets for treating tuberculosis. From 1928 to 1949, he worked at the Charité in Berlin, attaining international fame for his risky (but mostly successful) operations. Before World War II, Adolf Hitler awarded him the German National Prize for Art and Science. Sauerbruch supported many political objectives of Nazis such as its anti-western views and anti-semitism(although he was against the radical methods of elimination of Jews)[1]

In 1937, he became Reichsforschungsrat (Reich Research Council) that supported "research projects" of the SS, including experiments on prisoners in the concentration camps. In 1942, he became Surgeon General to the army – in this position he accepted experiments with mustard gas on prisoners in the concentration camp Natzweiler. On 12 October 1945, he was charged by allies with having contributed to the Nazi dictatorship. He was dismissed from his office at the Berliner Gesundheitsrat. He received no conviction.[2]

Sauerbruch's name may appear in histories of iatrogenesis, or adverse effects resulting from medical treatment. Late in life, he became demented and continued to perform absurd operations on many patients, with fatal results. His colleagues detected the errors but were unable to stop him because of his fame and power (for an account, see Youngson, 1997[3]).

Sauerbruch died in Berlin at the age of seventy-five. His life was portrayed in the German 1954 film Sauerbruch – Das war mein Leben, which is based on his memoirs Das war mein Leben.

A high school in Grossröhrsdorf in Saxony in modern Germany bears his name[4]

His son Peter Sauerbruch (5 June 1913 – 29 September 2010) was a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 4 January 1943 as a Hauptmann in the general staff of the 14. Panzer-Division and leader of a Kampfgruppe "Sauerbruch".

[edit] References1.^ Doctors Under Hitler Michael H. Kater page 138-139 The University of North Carolina Press 2000
2.^ http://www.whonamedit.com/doctor.cfm/3214.html
3.^ Youngson RM (1997). "The demented surgeon is operating". Medical Curiosities. New York: Carroll & Graf.
4.^ Dubious Role Models:Study Reveals Many German Schools Still Named After Nazis Jan Friedmann 02/04/2009 Spiegel Online
[edit] BibliographyFerdinand Sauerbruch: Das war mein Leben, Autobiography, 639 pages, Kindler u. Schiermeyer 1951

Interesting to note his son
His son Peter Sauerbruch (5 June 1913 – 29 September 2010) was a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 4 January 1943 as a Hauptmann in the general staff of the 14. Panzer-Division and leader of a Kampfgruppe "Sauerbruch".

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 08 Feb 2011, 17:22

Phil Nix wrote:Here is some more on Grote
Phil Nix
Phil,
-Thanks for the added info on Grote!!!!! Nice bio!!!

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 08 Feb 2011, 17:24

Annelie wrote:Ferdinand Sauerbruch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Sauerbruch
Ernst Ferdinand Sauerbruch (3 July 1875 – 2 July 1951) was a German surgeon.

Sauerbruch was born in Barmen (now a district of Wuppertal), Germany. He studied medicine at the Philipps University of Marburg, the University of Greifswald, the Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, and the University of Leipzig, from the last of which he graduated in 1902. He went to Breslau in 1903, where he developed the Sauerbruch chamber, a pressure chamber for operating on the open thorax, which he demonstrated in 1904. As a battlefield surgeon during World War I, he developed several new types of limb prostheses, which enabled simple movements.

Sauerbruch worked at the Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich from 1918 to 1927 on surgical techniques and diets for treating tuberculosis. From 1928 to 1949, he worked at the Charité in Berlin, attaining international fame for his risky (but mostly successful) operations. Before World War II, Adolf Hitler awarded him the German National Prize for Art and Science. Sauerbruch supported many political objectives of Nazis such as its anti-western views and anti-semitism(although he was against the radical methods of elimination of Jews)[1]

In 1937, he became Reichsforschungsrat (Reich Research Council) that supported "research projects" of the SS, including experiments on prisoners in the concentration camps. In 1942, he became Surgeon General to the army – in this position he accepted experiments with mustard gas on prisoners in the concentration camp Natzweiler. On 12 October 1945, he was charged by allies with having contributed to the Nazi dictatorship. He was dismissed from his office at the Berliner Gesundheitsrat. He received no conviction.[2]

Sauerbruch's name may appear in histories of iatrogenesis, or adverse effects resulting from medical treatment. Late in life, he became demented and continued to perform absurd operations on many patients, with fatal results. His colleagues detected the errors but were unable to stop him because of his fame and power (for an account, see Youngson, 1997[3]).

Sauerbruch died in Berlin at the age of seventy-five. His life was portrayed in the German 1954 film Sauerbruch – Das war mein Leben, which is based on his memoirs Das war mein Leben.

A high school in Grossröhrsdorf in Saxony in modern Germany bears his name[4]

[edit] References1.^ Doctors Under Hitler Michael H. Kater page 138-139 The University of North Carolina Press 2000
2.^ http://www.whonamedit.com/doctor.cfm/3214.html
3.^ Youngson RM (1997). "The demented surgeon is operating". Medical Curiosities. New York: Carroll & Graf.
4.^ Dubious Role Models:Study Reveals Many German Schools Still Named After Nazis Jan Friedmann 02/04/2009 Spiegel Online
[edit] BibliographyFerdinand Sauerbruch: Das war mein Leben, Autobiography, 639 pages, Kindler u. Schiermeyer 1951

Interesting to note his son
Annelie,
-Thanks for the Sauerbruch info!!! I have not done a bio on him as of yet, but with this info I will have a descent start.

Pitino

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 19 Feb 2011, 11:48

Pitino wrote: Annelie,
-Thanks for the Sauerbruch info!!! I have not done a bio on him as of yet, but with this info I will have a descent start.

Pitino
Lieber Pitino,

use what you have rather than looking for new solutions :) .
A very detailed bio of Sauerbruch with many added pics is long ago to see here:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&start=75

Dieter Z.

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 19 Feb 2011, 15:15

Dieter Zinke wrote:
Pitino wrote: Annelie,

Pitino
Lieber Pitino,

use what you have rather than looking for new solutions :) .
A very detailed bio of Sauerbruch with many added pics is long ago to see here:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&start=75

Dieter Z.
Dieter,
-That is a very good bio of Sauerbruch!!!! There is also a wealth of info on other party members on that page!!! Thanks. By the way, I am not trying to find new solutions. I am rather trying to update info!!!

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 03 Jun 2011, 21:11

-I have come up with a leadership list for the Kassenärztlichen Vereinigung Deutschlands (KVD), but I still have many holes and I need some dates. Can anyone help me here?

-Kassenärztliche Vereinigung Deutschlands (KVD)

-(August 2, 1933)- Established with seat in Berlin (Geschäftsstelle: Berlin SW 19, Lindenstrasse 42)

-The Führer des NSDÄB was in personalunion the Führer der KVD

-Leiter der KVD
-(August 2, 1933-March 25, 1939)- Reich-Hauptdienstleiter Dr. med. Gerhard Wagner (Died)
-(April 22, 1939-August 16, 1944)- Oberbefehlsleiter Dr. med. Leonardo Conti

-Stellvertreter des Leiters der KVD
-(August 2, 1933-April 20, 1934)- Dr. Hans Köhler (Maybe ????)
-(April 20, 1934-May 1945)- Reichsamtsleiter Dr. med. Heinrich Grote

-Hauptgeschäftsführer der KVD
-(August 2, 1933- ??? )- Dr. Hermann Lautsch

-Geschäftsführer der KVD
-( ??? - April 1939)- Dr. Karl Haedenkamp (Dismissed by Conti)
-( ??? - ??? )- Dr. Paul Petersilie

-ärztlicher Geschäftsführer der KVD
-( ??? - ??? )- Dr. Arno Hermann

Pitino

isarov

Post by isarov » 14 Nov 2015, 12:14

Please contact me regarding Franz Gerhard Maria Wirz, I am looking for more info as this is my great grandfather.

Pitino wrote:-Here is a bio that I have put together for Franz Wirz. Does anyone have a specific death date for him and a place of death for him?

-Prof. Dr. Franz Gerhard Maria Wirz- (April 10,1889-1962)
-(April 10,1889)- Born in Düsseldorf
-Military Service (Oberarzt)
-(1916)- Approbation
-(1920)- Assistenzarzt an der Hautklinik der Universitat München
-(1923)- Dozent
-(1927-1934)- a.o. Prof.
-(1933-1937)- Mitglieds Sachverständigenbeirats für Volksgesundheit
-(1933-1937)- Ernährungsberater in der Dienstelle des Vierjahresplans
-(May 1933)- NSDAP entry
-(1933-1934)- SA Member
-NSDAB Member
-(1934-1939)- SS Member
-(1935)- Leiter der Hauptstelle für Hochschulfragen im HAVG
-(1935)- Beauftragter des Reichsärzteführers für die Neue Deutsche Heilkunde
-(1935)- Leiter der Hochschulkommission im Stab des StdF
-Reichshauptstellenleiter
-(1938)- Prof. an der Universitat München
-Leiter des Reichsvollkornbrotausschusses- (Maybe 1939)
-(1942)- Leiter der Beratungsstelle für das Krankenhauswesen beim Hauptamt für Volksgesundheit der NSDAP
-(1944)- Mitglied im Wissenschaftlichen Beirat des Bevollmächtigten für das Gesundheitswesen
-(1962)- Died

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 20 Nov 2015, 17:19

Isarov,
-What kind of information are you seeking on your great-grandfather???

isarov

Post by isarov » 26 Jan 2016, 18:36

What did he do after the war?
Looking also for family relatives.
Thank you,

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 05 Apr 2016, 13:50

Isarov,

You are very vague on what you want or need to find out plus you need to give more information
on what you know already. Hard to help when you actually have said nothing?

names/places/dates?

isarov

Post by isarov » 07 Apr 2016, 13:26

I am vague since I hardly know anything about him except what has been written here in this forum.
I'd love to know what happen to him after the war and if there is any family left (did he marriage?)

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 07 Apr 2016, 18:36

Isarov,
-According to my notes, Dr. Wirz was interned after the war until late 1947. Then, he resumed his career as a Dermatologist in Munich until his death in 1962.

Pitino

isarov

Post by isarov » 07 Apr 2016, 20:29

Thank you!

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 08 Apr 2016, 22:36

Isarov,
-I forgot to add this on Wirz. He held the post of Referent für Kongress-Angelegenheiten der StdF and later Sachbearbeiter für das Kongresswesen beim Stab des StdF.

Pitino

Puck

Post by Puck » 06 Jun 2017, 14:39

Binnie wrote:Hello,
I have tried to find information on Dr. Ringelmann but have found nothing.
[..]
Any info you can share would be appreciated. Thank you.
I have 2 Dr. Ringelmann: regards puck

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”