Hitler Youth members in training (strangling a dog?)

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Artur Szulc

Hitler Youth members in training (strangling a dog?)

Post by Artur Szulc » 04 Nov 2010, 09:28

Greetings,

I am currently reading a book, can not at this moment tell the title of it - but eventually I will.

In that book the author repeats, what probaly is a myth or? That young recruits in the Hitlerjugend at the SS school at Dachau were given a puppy to train for at year and then given a order, was forced to strangle that dog and in this way demonstrate the willingness of following orders and mature to become SS-officers.

Is this true? Can it be confirmed? Or is it a fairy tail?

/Artur

Sid Guttridge

Re: Hitler Youth members in training (strangling a dog?)

Post by Sid Guttridge » 04 Nov 2010, 12:39

It is always difficult to prove that something never happened, (which is one reason why internet myths gain currency), but it sounds highly unlikely to me, especially as part of a general policy.

Perhaps you should first check if there really were "Hitlerjugend at the SS school at Dachau".

What was the book? Doubtless others here have read it and might therefore have some relevant opinion as to its general factual reliability.

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Post by Igor Karpov » 04 Nov 2010, 14:43

It's absolute nonsense. In various "historical books" the victim was puppy, hamster etc. This also applies to the site of action and "perpetrators" (Dachau or summer camp; HJ or Jungvolk).

Regards,
Igor

HaEn
In memoriam

Post by HaEn » 04 Nov 2010, 18:42

Oh yes, and the next step was to skin it, and eat it raw. cry-lol-cry-lol-cry-lol
Isn't this garbage ever going to end. ??? The Hitler Youth was in fact no more than a politicized and militarized boy scout imitation. In a 'Wehrertertuchtigungslager" ( H.Y.sportscamp) we learned mapreading, small calibre target shooting, cross country field games, a variety of sports, could earn proficiency badges, we marched, we sang and we ate and slept. Oh yes not to forget the movies, which were indeed politically oriented. The most famous one about the "Boers" in South Africa, and the Brits putting women and children in concentrationcamps.
O.K. Haen, watch your bloodpressure. :-(
HN

Artur Szulc

Post by Artur Szulc » 04 Nov 2010, 20:15

Isn't this garbage ever going to end. ???
I agree.

These kind of myths are not necessary.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » 04 Nov 2010, 21:35

Hi
I agree with HaEn. My Mother and Uncle were in the Hitler Youth and it wasn't anything more than HaEn's description.
Thanks
Duncan

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 10 Nov 2010, 12:50

There have been mentions above of multiple books containing such stories, yet not a single title has been forthcoming.

Due to the absence of any source, this thread is in danger of creating or perpetuating what seems to me to be an unsourced urban myth.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 10 Nov 2010, 14:02

One of the fathers of the myth was "Karl von Vereiter", is just a fake legend.

JamesL

Post by JamesL » 11 Nov 2010, 04:48

This story goes back a long time. I read about it way before Al Gore invented the internet. :lol: I think I first saw this story back in the 1960's. Then it was the SS cadet had to strangle his dog, not the HJ.

MathProf

Post by MathProf » 18 Aug 2015, 09:45

An early if not original source for this topos (whether it be fact or urban legend) is the novel Armageddon: A Novel of Berlin (1963) by Leon Uris.

A novel, so fiction, so the notion may simply be Uris' own invention. But he did enjoy a reputation for meticulous research. That said, if it was not his own invention, he himself may have bought in to an already popular urban legend.

But at least the publication date establishes a minimum age for the claim.

MathProf

Post by MathProf » 18 Aug 2015, 09:57

Leon Uris tells this story in the novel Armageddon: A Novel of Berlin (1963).

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”