"SA Standartenführer" Gaiseric Scherl

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
mty

"SA Standartenführer" Gaiseric Scherl

Post by mty » 22 Dec 2013, 17:55

Does anyone know anything about this very obscure character, often mentioned on various victim lists on Blood Purge victims, for example on the list here at Axis History Factbook?
Gaiseric Scherl (Born in Plauen 12 September 1912, SA Standartenführer, homosexual associate of Röhm, NS Studentenbund, Harvest Commando. Executed along with his wife at Landeshut 1 July 1934)
I am sure that this Scherl was never Standartenführer, more probably a mere NCO. As analogy, it should be noted that also Martin Schätzl is mentioned on the list (which appears to be based on Weissbuch and some other compilation works) erroneously presented as SA-Staf. although his actual rank was SA-Obertruppführer.

- Mikko

mty

Re: "SA Standartenführer" Gaiseric Scherl

Post by mty » 01 Feb 2014, 12:08

Bumping this up. As far as I have researched, all traces of this "Gaiseric Scherl"seem to originate from Weissbuch which is notorious of its amount of errata. Thus it might be possible that the person in question is completely fictitional or one of the many cases of misheard identities. I wouldn't be surprised if some SA leader would emerge whose name is something similar but who only ended up as temporarily arrested and survived the event.

- Mikko

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 01 Feb 2014, 14:17

Hello Mikko,

I've once extracted all victims mentioned in the Weissbuch http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 48#p987448 and surprisingly there wasn't any Gaiseric Scherl amongst them. Perhaps Scherl just figures in a translation of the Weissbuch? Otherwise he must be from a source even more obscure than the Weissbuch.

The spelling 'Gaiseric' alone is strange. This first name obviously refers to the greastest king of the Vandals but in German this chap is written 'Geiserich' in general. I've never before seen the variant 'Gaiseric' which appears to be the standard version in English.

Best regards
Torsten

mty

Post by mty » 21 Aug 2014, 14:47

Thanks for your input, Torsten! :)

The suspicious form of spelling might result from someone - probably non-German - typing the name based on what they had heard but not observed in written form. Thus the only way to sift out the identity of this person is to check available SA personnel records with the surname Scherl (or family names that are either phonetically or in spelling similar enough). All available evidence however seems to point that this person is just one of the many accidental or deliberate pieces of hearsay and misinformation regarding purge victims.

- Mikko

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”