Old Ranks/New Ranks

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
JoeW
Financial supporter

Old Ranks/New Ranks

Post by JoeW » 01 Jul 2014, 23:32

Were Political Leaders required to adopt the new rank descriptions introduced by Ley in 1939? I have an award for a Stellenleiter in the Reichsleitung in Munich. The paperwork I have located from archival sources always refers to his rank as Stellenleiter, his apparent final promotion in 1935. He was 2. Adjutant to RL Schwarz.

Pitino

Re: Old Ranks/New Ranks

Post by Pitino » 02 Jul 2014, 01:14

JoeW wrote:Were Political Leaders required to adopt the new rank descriptions introduced by Ley in 1939? I have an award for a Stellenleiter in the Reichsleitung in Munich. The paperwork I have located from archival sources always refers to his rank as Stellenleiter, his apparent final promotion in 1935. He was 2. Adjutant to RL Schwarz.
Which Adjutant are you speaking of?

Pitino

JoeW
Financial supporter

Post by JoeW » 02 Jul 2014, 08:12

Hartmann.

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 02 Jul 2014, 13:32

I have discussed this aspect elsewhere on the forum in other threads at length but he goes the short version. The Pre-1939 ranks/titles were based simply on a person's position -- ie. stellenleiter etc. But with Ley's new directives (approved by Hitler) for the 1939-45 structure, other factors came into play. The new ranks --ie. Oberbefehlsleiter etc now represented a persons seniority and pay grade. These ranks were denoted by the new collar tabs. The person's "position" (job description) was denoted by the new armband structure. Hence an Oberbefehlsleiter could be a Hauptamtleiter, a deputy gauleiter, an Amtleiter, stellenleiter etc. The higher the rank.usually the higher the "position". BUT the ranks became too confusing for most and besides ranks such as Oberbefehlsleiter or Hauptbereichsleiter was a mouthful, so the "position's" or the "old" ranks structure was often used to refer to a person. What would you rather say -- Hauptbereichsleiter or Stellenleiter? Hence many men were just referred to by the old position name instead of their new rank designation. Hope this helps.

Mark Costa

JoeW
Financial supporter

Post by JoeW » 03 Jul 2014, 05:01

Mark, I was aware of the 1939 changes of rank insignia and position designation. But you last three sentences answered my question. Thank you. So convention allowed them to keep the old title. But it is frustrating that nowhere in his Reichsleitung file was he referred to by the post 1939 rank.

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 04 Jul 2014, 15:52

JoeW wrote:Hartmann.
Do you mean Fritz Maier-Hartmann?????

Pitino

JoeW
Financial supporter

Post by JoeW » 07 Jul 2014, 15:10

Pitino wrote:

Pitino
Sorry for not being specific. Anton Hartmann, Stellenleiter d. RL und SS-Standartenführer.

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 13 Jul 2014, 16:42

JoeW wrote:
Pitino wrote:

Pitino
Sorry for not being specific. Anton Hartmann, Stellenleiter d. RL und SS-Standartenführer.
JoeW,
-I can find nothing on your man within the RSM. Do you know what years that he was in that posting?

Pitino

JoeW
Financial supporter

Post by JoeW » 15 Jul 2014, 23:28

Pitino

I have both his RL file and his SS offiz file. He was a member of the SS-Sturm Reichsleitung and was sworn to the Fuhrer along with others by Hess on the Konigsplatz on April 20. 1936.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”