Famous Hitler Photo- Fake?

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Famous Hitler Photo- Fake?

Post by Maxschnauzer » 06 Aug 2014, 00:57

This according to the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html:
Image of Hitler in Odeonplatz, Munich, shows 'dictator celebrating WWI'
It was printed in Nazi publications, crucial part of his 1932 election campaign
Historians claim his moustache is too short, 'trimmed it later as a soldier'
Research team also claim they cannot find trace of the original negative
Suggestions his court photographer Hoffmann manipulated image
1407260211108_wps_1_2nd_August_1914_High_angl.jpg
1407260211108_wps_1_2nd_August_1914_High_angl.jpg (118.62 KiB) Viewed 733 times
Cheers,
Max

Mark Costa

Re: Famous Hitler Photo- Fake?

Post by Mark Costa » 06 Aug 2014, 13:32

Definately NOT a fake. About 10-15 years ago a motion picture film of the event was found, taken from the Feldherrnhalle that not only showed Hitler in the crowd, but also showed Hoffmann taking the photos from the spot where he stated he was on that day.
Thus confirming Hoffmann's statements and the fact that Hitler was actually there.
Mark Costa

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 06 Aug 2014, 13:37

As I understand it Hoffmann was one of Hitler's personal photographers and when they found out they'd both been there that day Hoffmann went back over the pictures and found him. Hitler's statement as to where he was standing helped with this.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 06 Aug 2014, 14:42

Thanks both. I'm no expert but have seen photos of Hitler pre-WW I with a trimmed mustache then during the war with the handlebars so I don't see how thy can make such a big deal about it. It doesn't take some people very long to grow or trim facial hair. I don't necessarily believe everything I read in the Mail and was hoping to get an informed rebuttal like you have provided.
Cheers,
Max

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 06 Aug 2014, 21:18

The film that Mark mentioned can be viewed in this documentary on Hitler from the early 1990's titled "The Fatal Attraction of Adolf Hitler". Link below is part 1 and film in question is at 4:30. This topic was discussed elsewhere and I'm not certain if board members concluded the film clip showing Hoffmann taking pictures that day was from a film that was made after WWII...the footage does not seem to be choppy, sped up, or have grainy lines in it like so much film from that time period unless it was filtered and cleaned-up somehow. I remember being fascinated with the film clip when it first aired back in 1990. I believe the photo is genuine and that Hoffmann is telling the truth about the story behind it in his book "Hitler Was My Friend".

Link. Time is at minute 4:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekATEBHMWtI

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”