Did Hitler kill anyone?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » 13 May 2003, 16:55

I thought Ernst Roehm died during the 'Night of the black knives', where leading SA figures were murdered by guards working on behalf of Hitler probably the SS. I never considered Hitler was there present during the murders. I saw him as purely the instigator.

White Leopard

Post by White Leopard » 13 May 2003, 17:17

You are correct in this. Hitler was either in Berlin or Munich when the executions of the Long Knife putsch were carried out. He did not witness them personally.

Hitler was involved in the battles around Ypres, Belgium in the early days of World War One. Since these battles involved infantry charges, there is the possiblity that he shot somebody during the course of them. But killing that occurs in this type of engagment can't always be said to up close, personal, and direct. It certainly isn't put on the records There is no record of him shooting anyone during his service as a messenger, but that isn't always recorded either. Killing during wartime is too commonplace and too promiscuous for it to be noted everytime it occurs. Even the people who kill during wartime become indifferent to it.

The known evidence absolves him of killing Geli. He has an air-tight alibi that hasn't been broken since her death.

The only killing that he can be convicted of is the bidding of others to do it.

Sgt. Reese

Post by Sgt. Reese » 13 May 2003, 21:40

"But killing that occurs in this type of engagment can't always be said to up close, personal, and direct."

what about when one line charged another? and there was the knifes and shovels?

White Leopard

Post by White Leopard » 14 May 2003, 02:35

True enough Sgt. Reese, but these encounters don't get put into the records. The possiblity is there, but not documented.

Geli

Post by Geli » 14 May 2003, 04:33

White Leopard wrote:The known evidence absolves him of killing Geli. He has an air-tight alibi that hasn't been broken since her death.
For those of you who don't know...
Hitler was in Nürnberg when Rudolf Hess called to tell him that something had happened to Geli. According to Heinrich Hoffman, Hess hung up when Hitler asked whether she was alive or dead. Hitler got in the car and sped back to München. The operative word here is sped. He was stopped and issued a speeding ticket, which a clever historian (don't know which one offhand) found after the war.

As you can guess from my screenname, I've done a lot of reading in this area, and I even wrote a play about Geli. IMHO, Hitler simply had no motive to kill her.

R.M. Schultz

Post by R.M. Schultz » 14 May 2003, 08:30

Geli Raubal had been dead for some time, twelve hours at least, before her body was found. Hitler had plenty of time to get to Nürnberg before he was "informed" of her death. The single most important fact was that while the Catholic Church does not allow suicides to be buried in hallowed ground (because they are damned to hell), Geli was buried in a Catholic cemetery in Vienna and the man who arranged this (and presumably knew the truth) Father Bernhard Sempfle [spelling? I haven't any reference material handy] was killed in the Blood Purge.

LAH

Post by LAH » 14 May 2003, 10:25

Hitler wasn't there for the execution of Roem, Roem was shot in his cell by Theodor Eicke who shot Roem on 1st July.

Hitler ordered that Roem be given the chance to commit suicide but Roem refused and Eicke shot him.

Eicke was then promoted to SS Gruppenfuhrer

trower

Post by trower » 14 May 2003, 10:35

Hitler never needed to kill, he had plenty of willing men to take care of that for him......even the beer hall putch, Hitler had a pistol but never fired a shot.

Johnny

Post by Johnny » 14 May 2003, 21:50

yeah Eicke killed Röhm, that's probably why he got three private meetings with Hitler when his Totenkopfs were draining out on the eastern front.

War Cross

Post by War Cross » 14 May 2003, 22:10

Well given hitlers philosophy i feel sure that he killed at least one person on the battle field in WW1. If he didn't kill anyone i certainly feel he at least tried to kill someone. While this all goes on a hunch its just you look at his ideas you look at how he fought fanatically i just find it really hard to believe that he didn't kill on the battlefield

Sgt. Reese

Post by Sgt. Reese » 15 May 2003, 01:51

"Hitler never needed to kill, he had plenty of willing men to take care of that for him......even the beer hall putch, Hitler had a pistol but never fired a shot."

Sources say he jumped onto a table and Fired a shot into the air.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 15 May 2003, 05:53

Hitler's own words of fighting in 1914,before he became a runner.It does sound like he was in the thick of things:

Again we went forward. I jumped up and ran as fast as I could across meadows and turnip fields, jumping over ditches, wire, and hedges .... There was a long trench in front of me and in an instant I jumped in and countless others round me did likewise .... under me were dead or wounded Englishmen .... The trenches on our left were still held by the English ....an unbroken hail of iron was whistling over our trench.

Finally at ten o'clock our artillery opened up .... again and again shells burst in the English trenches. The English swarmed out like ants and we rushed them. We ran into the fields like lighting, and after bloody hand-to-hand fighting in different places, we forced them out of one trench after another. Many of them raised their hands. Those who wouldn't surrender were slaughtered. So it went on from trench to trench .... To the left of us lay several farms that were still in enemy hands so we went through a withering fire. One man after another collapsed around me.

Our major, fearless and calmly smoking, came up with his adjutant ...The major took in the situation at a glance and ordered us to assemble ... for another assault. We had no more officers, hardly any non-coms, so everyone of us who had any gumption left, ran back to get reinforcements. When I got back the second time with a scattered troop ... the major lay on the ground with his chest blown open. A heap of corpses lay around him. The major's adjutant was the only officer left. We were boiling with fury. 'Lieutenant, lead us at them!' we all shouted. So we went forward again....

JariL

Hitler and guns

Post by JariL » 15 May 2003, 13:10

Hi all,

When Marshall of Finland Mannerheim paid a visit to Hitlers HQ in 1943 just priot to Operation Citadelle, he handed to Hitler a Suomi submachine gun as a personal gift. There had been a lot of discussion about the gift and Mannerheim had discarded several suggestions before someone suggested an MP. When Mannerhein handed the gift over to Hitler he hardly looked at the weapon but put it on a side table. Mannerheim and other Finns felt that the Fuehrer was not very pleased with his present.

However, according to Hitlers adjutant Mannerheim has scarcely left from the operations room when Hitler rushed into the shooting range to test his new personal weapon. Hitler had spent some time at the range and according to the adjutant had been very pleased with his gift and it's accuracy. Given that the adjutants story is credible Hitler at least new how to handle a gun. And Finns read Hitler completely wrong. I remember that some writers interpretation about the event was that Hitler was very flattered by being seen as a soldier not as a politician.

Regards,

Jari

germanpride

Did Hitler Kill anyone?

Post by germanpride » 15 May 2003, 13:32

I thought that his girlfriend Geli committed suicide. Did Hitler kill Eva Bruan or did she swallow that cyanide on her own free will?

Johnny

Post by Johnny » 15 May 2003, 19:09

She bit the cyanide on her own, she wanted to leave a pretty corpse. as for moulded text that was written by Hitler himself his a hardly credible since Hitler often tried to glorify his actions previous to being imprisoned. As for the Munic putch I've read that he put a gun to his temple and threatened to comit suicide if the military officer in charge didn't offer to help him out.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”