Martin Borman query

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
PF

Martin Borman query

Post by PF » 28 Oct 2005, 14:00

What Artillery Unit/rank was Martin Borman in 1917-1918?
ALso in regard to his jail sentence in 1920's for murder-
1) What was sentence for and how long served?
Is there a "mug shot" and or fingerprint card avaiaible?

Mr Holmes

Post by Mr Holmes » 28 Oct 2005, 18:10

Hi PF,

Turns out I am currently reading a biography on Martin Bormann. All I have on his service is the following:
As the NSDAP described itself even in its early phase as the stronghold of the spirit of the front-line soldier, Bormann would tell people later that in the first years of the war he volunteered several times for military service but was never accepted. This may be true; however, when he joined the 55th Field Artillery Regiment in Naumburg in June 1918 he was just eighteen, and young men of that age were regularly drafted. His army career does not exactly support his claim that he had volunteered, either, or that he would have been eligible for officer training on the basis of his one-year service certificate. But he remained in Naumburg as an enlisted artilleryman long after the Emeperor had fled to Holland and the government in Berlin had fallen into the hands of the despised Reds - the Social Democrats.
p. 21

More is stated but mostly conjecture that he was a "polisher" ('an officer's orderly'). If you want, I can post what is written.

1) The sentence you refer to is a rather long winded affair. In very basic terms, Bormann at that time came to know of Rudolf Hoess through right-wing activities with the Volkische and Rossbach group. One person (Walter Kadow) stole a small amount of money through fraudulent means (passing himself off as a WW1 veteran)... from the party coffers. Bormann became extremely angry and ordered Rudolf Höss (the future Auschwitz commander) to have him roughed up a little. Things turned bad. Bormann hired a horse-drawn cart and Hoess and a couple Rossbachers,
Went to work on him, first in the cart, pummeling him with fists, sticks, rubber truncheons.... The blows came from all sides, six against one. Höss broke off a sapling maple and brought it down full force on Kadow's skull.
p.30

Kadow had not died yet, so they decided to finish him off. One of the involved divulged the story and it became a police affair.
The six murderers... were jailed pending trial, but there were only casual inquiries about those who had provoked and stage-managed the business.
p.31

Martin Bormann was not under any real danger of facing justice for his complicity, but the Judge Ludwig Ebermayer changed his mind. He was arrested and brought to Schwerin prison then to Leipzig. The hearing was set for March 1924, and the judges had this to say:
"The defendants were in a state of extraordinary excitement while committing the act. It is therefore assumed that the slaying of Kadow was not premeditated."

Thus it was not murder, which could have brought a death sentence, but only manslaughter.
p. 33

The authors explain away the clemency as a fear of opening up violation to the Versailles Treaty and usage of nationalist para-military forces.

Bormann was arrested in the courtroom and immediately sent off to prison.
Credited with a month of confinement while awaiting trial, Bormann had to endure the monotony of prison life for only eleven months from the date of the verdict, March 17, 1924. Political prisoners could claim the privilege of a cell to themselves and also do their work there, insofar as the prison schedule allowed.
p.36

This section (the Kadow episode) is to be found from page 28 through to mostly page 36.

Unfortunately, there are no such illustrations or pictures in the book (mugshots and fingerprints etc.) I have here (although there are some interesting photos).

Source:
Jochen von Lang, The Secretary: Martin Bormann: The Man Who Manipulated Hitler Trans. by Christa Armstrong and Peter White, Random House, New York, 1979

PF

Post by PF » 28 Oct 2005, 20:11

Thanks for INfo.
Somehow that his service and the Kadow incident was a forerunner of Borman NSDAP life:
"Officer's Orderly"--an good servant to those higher in power (such as to Hitler?)
"Kadow killing" -----Borman ARRANGERS THINGS AND GIVES HOESS THE ORDERS.
HOESS CARRIES OUT THE ORDERS

Mr Holmes

Post by Mr Holmes » 29 Oct 2005, 02:47

No problem. Bormann is possibly one of the most interesting (yet, boring!) bureaucrats of the Third Reich. His climb to power via back channeling, intrigue and manipulation was meteorical. If you can get a study on his life, you will have made the right move, as he becomes the hub of the State later on.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 31 Oct 2005, 18:16

An interesting character "The Secretary" Martin Bormann.

Currently just started reading Jochen von Lang's l977 book and he calls Bormann
the master manipulator. As you state Sepp Dietrich, he does indeed become
the hub and feared....... of the State.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 31 Oct 2005, 20:05

Annelie wrote:An interesting character "The Secretary" Martin Bormann.

Currently just started reading Jochen von Lang's l977 book and he calls Bormann
the master manipulator. As you state Sepp Dietrich, he does indeed become
the hub and feared....... of the State.
So not boring.
Max.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 31 Oct 2005, 20:20

Max Williams

" So not boring"

:) yes not so boring.....

Personally I don't find any of those around Hitler boring!
Just the fact of their proximity to Hitler makes them interesting.

Mr Holmes

Post by Mr Holmes » 01 Nov 2005, 02:36

Ah, but boring only in that he works behind a desk (I guess my own "liking" for my own desk job shows here, eh?)

GeneralJack

Re: Martin Borman query

Post by GeneralJack » 29 Jan 2011, 18:37

Mr Holmes wrote:Hi PF,

Turns out I am currently reading a biography on Martin Bormann. All I have on his service is the following:
As the NSDAP described itself even in its early phase as the stronghold of the spirit of the front-line soldier, Bormann would tell people later that in the first years of the war he volunteered several times for military service but was never accepted. This may be true; however, when he joined the 55th Field Artillery Regiment in Naumburg in June 1918 he was just eighteen, and young men of that age were regularly drafted. His army career does not exactly support his claim that he had volunteered, either, or that he would have been eligible for officer training on the basis of his one-year service certificate. But he remained in Naumburg as an enlisted artilleryman long after the Emeperor had fled to Holland and the government in Berlin had fallen into the hands of the despised Reds - the Social Democrats.
p. 21

More is stated but mostly conjecture that he was a "polisher" ('an officer's orderly'). If you want, I can post what is written.

1) The sentence you refer to is a rather long winded affair. In very basic terms, Bormann at that time came to know of Rudolf Hoess through right-wing activities with the Volkische and Rossbach group. One person (Walter Kadow) stole a small amount of money through fraudulent means (passing himself off as a WW1 veteran)... from the party coffers. Bormann became extremely angry and ordered Rudolf Höss (the future Auschwitz commander) to have him roughed up a little. Things turned bad. Bormann hired a horse-drawn cart and Hoess and a couple Rossbachers,
Went to work on him, first in the cart, pummeling him with fists, sticks, rubber truncheons.... The blows came from all sides, six against one. Höss broke off a sapling maple and brought it down full force on Kadow's skull.
p.30

Kadow had not died yet, so they decided to finish him off. One of the involved divulged the essay and it became a police affair.
The six murderers... were jailed pending trial, but there were only casual inquiries about those who had provoked and stage-managed the business.
p.31

Martin Bormann was not under any real danger of facing justice for his complicity, but the Judge Ludwig Ebermayer changed his mind. He was arrested and brought to Schwerin prison then to Leipzig. The hearing was set for March 1924, and the judges had this to say:
"The defendants were in a state of extraordinary excitement while committing the act. It is therefore assumed that the slaying of Kadow was not premeditated."

Thus it was not murder, which could have brought a death sentence, but only manslaughter.
p. 33

The authors explain away the clemency as a fear of opening up violation to the Versailles Treaty and usage of nationalist para-military forces.

Bormann was arrested in the courtroom and immediately sent off to prison.
Credited with a month of confinement while awaiting trial, Bormann had to endure the monotony of prison life for only eleven months from the date of the verdict, March 17, 1924. Political prisoners could claim the privilege of a cell to themselves and also do their work there, insofar as the prison schedule allowed.
p.36

This section (the Kadow episode) is to be found from page 28 through to mostly page 36.

Unfortunately, there are no such illustrations or pictures in the book (mugshots and fingerprints etc.) I have here (although there are some interesting photos).

Source:
Jochen von Lang, The Secretary: Martin Bormann: The Man Who Manipulated Hitler Trans. by Christa Armstrong and Peter White, Random House, New York, 1979
Martin Bormann is a very interesting story. This is the first I have heard of the man as I came here to increase my knowledge about such individuals involved with the war. What a truly manipulative and confusing person. This post has inspired me to do some more research on Bormann. Are there any other good characters I should look up?? PF??
When it rains it pours and when you can't take any more, want to break down that d*** door and fall with it to the floor. Let time takes it's course, let the weather reach the shores, it will get better if you let it there are things that can't be forced.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”