SA combat formations?

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Vuk

SA combat formations?

Post by Vuk » 01 Apr 2006, 21:10

I know that the SA helped arm and train various antipartisan formations in the balkans but did they ever form their on combat formations?

Maigewitter

Post by Maigewitter » 01 Apr 2006, 21:23

As far as i know the Geschwader "Horst Wessel" and the Panzerdivsion "Feldherrenhalle" consisted primary of ex-SA members.

Runar

Post by Runar » 02 Apr 2006, 13:17

Hello.

There was the SA-Wehrmannschaften and the SA-Wehrbereitschaften.
SA-Wehrmannschaften was established in early 39. Some units were in service at the front, especially in anti-partsan operations and "Heimatflak" anti-aircraft service. At the end of the war SA-Wehrmannschaften was incorporated in the Volkssturm. One such unit was especially active, this was the SA-Wehrmannschaft Gruppe Steiermark, also known as Steierischer Heimatbund. The unit served in German Styria which bordered to Yugoslavia.

The SA-Wehrbereitschaften served in the General Government in anti-partisan operations and border control.

In Danzig there was an SA unit called the VGAD (Verstärkter Grenzaufsichtsdienst). The unit was raised in July 39 of SA-Standarten 5 and 28. They wore fieldgrey uniforms with a "Grenzwache" cufftitle.

Best regars
Runar
Attachments
VGAD-Collar-tab.jpg
VGAD-Collar-tab.jpg (53.87 KiB) Viewed 2458 times

Vuk

Post by Vuk » 02 Apr 2006, 14:41

Thanks

Semenov

Re

Post by Semenov » 08 Apr 2006, 06:02

Hi, Runar!
I never heard about cuff title Grenzwache. Whence this information?

Regards!

Runar

Post by Runar » 08 Apr 2006, 16:02

Hello Semenov.

It is described in the book : "Cloth insignia of the NSDAP and SA" by John R. Angolia on page 315.
ISBN No. 0-912138-33-5.

Best regards
Runar

trekker

Re:

Post by trekker » 17 Mar 2013, 14:43

Runar wrote: At the end of the war SA-Wehrmannschaften was incorporated in the Volkssturm. One such unit was especially active, this was the SA-Wehrmannschaft Gruppe Steiermark, also known as Steierischer Heimatbund. The unit served in German Styria which bordered to Yugoslavia.
I don't know the situation in Austrian Steiermark but just to avoid possible confusion let me post the following information:

Steirischer Heimatbund (StHB) was a political party, the only one allowed in Untersteiermak (Slovene Styria enlarged). It was a substitute for NSDAP which was not established in Untersteiermark.

Steirischer Heimatbund established Wehrmannschaft of StHB which was active in Untersteiermak only. Wehrmannschaft of StHB was subordinate to SA-Gruppe Südmark in Graz which sent their SA officers to command Wehrmannschaft units but members of Wehrmannschaft of StHB were not SA members therefore there was no SA-Wehrmannschaft in Untersteiermark. In particular, it is incorrect to say that SA-Wehrmannschaft Gruppe Steiermark was known as Steierischer Heimatbund as these were two different entities when explaining the situation in Untersteiermak. I repeat I'm not familiar with te situation in Steiermark (Austrian Styria).

In March/April 1944 Wehrmannschaftsregiment Untersteiermark consisting of four battalions was established under the command of Franz Steindl. When Deutsche Volkssturm was established Wehrmannschaftsregiment Untersteiermark became its troops of the first call. Deutsche Volkssturm leader was Steiermark gauleiter and Untersteiermark CdZ Uiberreither. His chief of staff were Lohnmann in Steiermark and Steindl in Untersteiermark. It is true that Franz Steindl as Deutsche Volkssturm chief of staff was killed 30.3.1945 in Rechnitz which is situated in eastern Steiermark but when speaking of Wehrmannschaftsregiment Untersteiermark that fact is not sufficient to say »the unit served in German Styria which bordered to Yugoslavia.«