blondi the dog

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
FireFoxy
Banned

Re: blondi the dog

Post by FireFoxy » 21 Nov 2008, 11:33

robert96757 wrote:uhh, what happened? no-one knows to my knowledge. i think it was taken and burned, but someone else i know think she was just buried out back. There even someone ive talked to that said theres a blondi generation of dogs, but none are proveable. If anyone knows though, please share!
Hey,I did see a docomentry with Hitler with around about 5 german sherpard puppies, guessing they were blondies puppies.
There could be ancestors of blondies,if those pups reproduced there could be bloodline of blondies in todays world.
who knows.
V = VICTORY

Pax Melmacia

Post by Pax Melmacia » 26 Nov 2008, 05:39

There is a quote attributed to Hitler which goes something like: "I have seen men, and I have seen dogs, and I prefer dogs." Being a dog lover myself, I'm not sure how to take this, given the source . . .

kitbits

Post by kitbits » 26 Nov 2008, 22:34

I think this is somebody else's picture from the forum, but since I'm not sure it'll be included here too.
Attachments
pt-2401-hitler-blondi-75dpi.jpg
pt-2401-hitler-blondi-75dpi.jpg (122.64 KiB) Viewed 2870 times

Pax Melmacia

Post by Pax Melmacia » 01 Dec 2008, 13:45

Despite Hitler's reputed affection for Blondi, one observer (I forget who) noted that when he would pet the dog, the animal seemed to cringe. While I know of no report of Hitler mistreating Blondi there is that incident when he was a soldier in the previous war and he beat the dog he had picked up off the battlefield as a pet. (Seen in that movie about the young Hitler.)

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 01 Dec 2008, 13:55

Despite Hitler's reputed affection for Blondi, one observer (I forget who) noted that when he would pet the dog, the animal seemed to cringe
Yes, I have also noticed that in one of the movies that Eva Braun shot of Hitler in Obersalzberg. I wondered about the relationship of Hitler and his dog? Blondi clearly was anxious when Hitler was petting.

thomas.ham

Post by thomas.ham » 01 Dec 2008, 23:53

Interesting post!
Does anyone have any more information on the story of Blondi puppies being given to high ranking Waffen-SS leaders, like Fritz Witt, Kurt Meyer and Gerd Bremer?
Tom

Parsifal

Post by Parsifal » 02 Dec 2008, 02:14

Poor Blondi :cry: :cry: . I would have had a much easier time shooting everybody in that bunker than any pups.

Pax Melmacia

Post by Pax Melmacia » 03 Dec 2008, 04:14

Blondi clearly was anxious when Hitler was petting.
I have this pet theory (no pun intended) that I don't really think too much about as it sounds too new-age, but . . .

My theory is that maybe Hitler didn't actually mistreat Blondi, but my experience with the dogs I've encountered is that they easily become nervous wrecks in households where there is so much anger and negative vibes, not to mention sudden explosions of yelling, tantrums and door-slamming.

Just a thought . . .

Parsifal

Post by Parsifal » 03 Dec 2008, 05:39

Pax Melmacia wrote:
Blondi clearly was anxious when Hitler was petting.
I have this pet theory (no pun intended) that I don't really think too much about as it sounds too new-age, but . . .

My theory is that maybe Hitler didn't actually mistreat Blondi, but my experience with the dogs I've encountered is that they easily become nervous wrecks in households where there is so much anger and negative vibes, not to mention sudden explosions of yelling, tantrums and door-slamming.

Just a thought . . .

You're correct. My dogs freak out whenever they hear the slightest tinge of anger in my voice. If for some reason I yell or yell an obscenity while watching a game of football, etc. they run and hide. And I never mistreat them.
I can just imagine what it must have been like to be around Ol' Addie with his legendary temper tantrums and bad vibes. :(

yorkie64red

Post by yorkie64red » 03 Dec 2008, 19:29

Blondies Puppies were destroyed after Blondie was Killed,apparently this act was carried out by Hitlers Dog Handler,they were taken from the Goebbles children who were playing with them and taken to the Garden where they were shot.

WOLF1

Post by WOLF1 » 03 Dec 2008, 20:35

Yes his name was Fritz Tarow and was AH's dog handler who shot the five puppies in Garden of the RC and burried them there. He became "undone" afterwords and was said to have been led off in a straight jacket....I have never been able to determine what his fate was after being led out of the Bunker.

Cheers

Wolf1

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 03 Dec 2008, 21:09

Interesting thread. Very sad also.
Our animals to many are just like our children/friends/family.

Its not surprising anyone whom had to work with or under Hitler could become mad.

john2

Post by john2 » 03 Dec 2008, 23:05

This is a little off topic but I've always wished that Blondi would have just gone beserk one day and mauled Hitler to death. It would have saved everyone a lot of trouble.

Pax Melmacia

Post by Pax Melmacia » 09 Dec 2008, 08:26

This is a little off topic but I've always wished that Blondi would have just gone beserk one day and mauled Hitler to death. It would have saved everyone a lot of trouble.
Interesting 'what if' thread . . . :idea:
The pounding of Russian artillery, now a dull throb in the deadened senses of the bunker's inhabitants, was suddenly drowned out by a savage, bestial roaring.

The officers merely winced; their look said it all: 'What's gotten into the Chief this time?'

But they were jarred out of their apathy by a familiar, yet unheard of voice screeching: 'No, Blondi!! Blonda! Back!! I command y -!"

The panicky bellowing of their Fuhrer was interrupted by a high-pitched shriek, like several trucks simultaneously locking all their brakes.

It was Linge the valet who was the first in the room. At the door he doubled over as though somebody had punched him in the belly. Then a hideous, retching sound came from the valet, who pushed past the officers into the outer chamber.

The new Chief of the Luftwaffe, von Greim, dashed to the doorway, the others right behind him.

Writhing on the floor was the former ruler of half of Europe. His face was the color of the spaghetti they had this evening, and his mouth, the mouth that had reverberated threats and intimidation throughout the civilized world, was stretched open wider than any of them had ever seen.

But nobody was looking at Hitler's face. They were looking at his hands . . .more accurately, where his hands were clutching.

Hitler was trying vainly to stop the gouts of blood leaping from his injured groin. His black trousers were slick with gore and scraps of flesh. Then with a croak that could be heard all the way to Moscow, London and Washington, the Fuhrer of the Thousand-Year Reich ceased all movement.

Somebody nudged von Greim and pointed.

At the far end of the room was Blondi, Hitler's pet Alsatian. The dog was munching on something she held between her paws.

"Blondi . . ." von Greim heard his voice crack out.

Blondi looked up and wagged her tail. Von Greim couldn't decide which shocked him more: The flecks of fresh blood around Blondi's chops, or the fact that this was the first time he had ever seen the dog happy.

As the dog padded over to the men at he doorway, von Greim detected the smell of cigarettes being lighted up behind him, an unthinkable act while Hitler was alive.

Von Greim knelt on the carpet next to Blondi, reached out and began scratching behind her ears.

"Who's a good dog? Who's a good dog?" cooed Robert Ritter von Greim.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 10 Dec 2008, 04:21

Interesting bit of creative writing, Pax Melmacia. (When I Googled "Blondi looked up and wagged her tail" to see if it was a published piece, Google responded with: Did you mean to search for "Blondi looked up and gagged her tail"? 8O :lol: )

But let's keep the discussion on topic.

Best,
~Vikki

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”