German WW2 war dead memorials

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.

ghostsoldier

Re: German WW2 war dead memorials

Post by ghostsoldier » 06 Apr 2008, 22:33

With all due respect Adam, I fail to see where ANY destruction to a war memorial, whether the people being memorialised are considered good or bad, can be thought of as "justified"...vandalism is a crime, no matter who does it, and should not be condoned. :)

Nice photos, by the way...

Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 07 Apr 2008, 09:58

The SS was a criminal organisation, guilty of the most monstrous criminal acts including the organisation and implementation of the greatest genocide in modern times. Its members do not merit commemoration.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 07 Apr 2008, 21:08

Adam Carr wrote:The SS was a criminal organisation, guilty of the most monstrous criminal acts including the organisation and implementation of the greatest genocide in modern times. Its members do not merit commemoration.
True....and I'm not here to defend the SS. The treatment of the American Indian (or the American Negro) by my ancestors doesn't warrant (or justifies) me going to Washington (or any small town courtyard in the vestige of the post-Confederate South) and pulling down the monument erected to the "patriots" of the country. There is evil in any, and every, society...but vandalism can never be justified.
Rob

friend_of_Obersalzberg

Post by friend_of_Obersalzberg » 07 Apr 2008, 23:32

Adam Carr wrote:The SS was a criminal organisation, guilty of the most monstrous criminal acts including the organisation and implementation of the greatest genocide in modern times. Its members do not merit commemoration.
It´s really hard, reading such sentences and opinions, to stay in a good mental state.
Adam, you are writing here about my ancestors and the only thing you know about, is the 60 years old Nürnberger decree???!! I can´t write, what I´m really thinking about your "knowing"....
I know -based on your posts in the whole forum- , you never change your opinion, you know, what´s true and what´s false...but let me try for the last time: Read the book "Steel Inferno - I SS Panzer Corps in Normandy" from Michael Reynolds (C) 1997 Spellmount, The Old Rectory, Staplehurst, Kent TN12 0AZ. Maybe you will find some new informations from a really expert and maybe the next time you will cogitate before writing affronts to hundred thousand brave soldiers, who fight and died in the same way as their enemies.

For all, who are really interested in informations, I will show you 4 photos. You will remark some differences in the inscriptives, so everybody with a open mind can recognize the changes in the appreciatians about our warvictims in the last 200 years.This 3 marker are on one column in a cemetery in Bavaria:

First photo:
In this beech grove far away from home, 2000 warriors found their last resting place anno 1800. They died after the battle of Hohenlinden here in the hospital Baumburg. For our brave brothers this humble memorial was given by some patriots 1867." RIP (no, this means not "Rest in Peace", it is Requiescat In Pace, Latein)
About the battle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_ ... den_(1800)
1.jpg
1.jpg (247.63 KiB) Viewed 4444 times

"

friend_of_Obersalzberg

Post by friend_of_Obersalzberg » 07 Apr 2008, 23:45

The second shows a memorial for the 1870/71 war:

Inscrition: "Commemorate to the heroes of the commune Altenmarkt:
:::NAMES"
RIP"
12.jpg
12.jpg (185.12 KiB) Viewed 4428 times

The third photos for the soldiers of the WW I:

"To the glory and commemorate of the hereos, who died for the Fatherland in the World War 1914/18. The Veteran Club Altenmarkt 1926"
1418.jpg
1418.jpg (70.94 KiB) Viewed 4408 times

friend_of_Obersalzberg

Post by friend_of_Obersalzberg » 07 Apr 2008, 23:58

And now the last marker...for the WW 2 soldier:

Inscription: "To commemorate all, which lost their life 1939-1945"
3945.jpg
3945.jpg (64.12 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
No "our", no "soldier", no "Hereos", no "Warriors", no "glory".......

Greetings

Ralf

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 08 Apr 2008, 10:58

Friend of Obersalzberg, I know a lot more about the SS than the Nuremberg Decree, thanks very much. My statement that it was a criminal organisation is not based on that decree (correct though it was), but on 30 years reading German and Holocaust history and on personal acquaintance with a number of survivors of the SS's criminality. If you had ancestors in the SS, I don't blame you for that, but that doesn't alter the historical facts. I have already said that I am not opposed to the commemoration of German war dead, individually or collectively. Although members of the Wehmacht committed many crimes, it was not of itself a criminal organisation. The SS was an arm of the Nazi Party, created to implement the Nazi policy of genocide. Since it was created for a criminal purpose, it must be described as a criminal organisation. It is true that not every member of the SS, and particularly of the Waffen SS, was personally involved in the commission of these crimes. I am not opposed to appropriately modest grave markers for individual SS men. I am opposed to any collective memorialistion of SS members. Such memorials are an insult to the millions of victims of Nazi crimes, and also an insult to the Germans who gave their lives opposing the Nazi state. They are also an insult to modern, democratic Germany, a country which I greatly admire for its successful rehabilitation from the legacy of the Nazi criminality. I support those Germans who seek to remove or destroy such memorials.

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 08 Apr 2008, 11:35

No more discussion on the SS, or this thread is going to be closed. Final warning, and I don't care who started it.

So far we have one memorial destroyed by leftists then, not "many".

Nice pictures Adam.

The monument I refer to is this one, the very controversial 3rd Reich monument to Infantry Regiment 76 from Hamburg, with the inscription "Germany must live, even if we must die":

http://rhino1515.blogspot.com/2006/03/7 ... mmtor.html

All the best

Andreas

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 08 Apr 2008, 21:27

friend_of_Obersalzberg wrote:And now the last marker...for the WW 2 soldier:

Inscription: "To commemorate all, which lost their life 1939-1945"

No "our", no "soldier", no "Hereos", no "Warriors", no "glory".......
Thanks Ralf. :) This picture pretty much sums up what I perceived Germany's "official" standing on erecting monuments to the dead of World War 2 to be...no fuss, no muss, no questions asked.
Rob

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 08 Apr 2008, 23:29

Bother - now I'll have to go back to Hamburg just to photograph that :x

Auseklis

Post by Auseklis » 09 Apr 2008, 02:14

Here's another one vandalized back in the 80s in my present hometown Bochum.
Before the assault a statue of 2 soldiers (Imperial and Wehrmacht) holding a flag was on top...

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegerden ... ark_Bochum
Attachments
800px-Kriegerdenkmal_am_Stadtpark_Bochum.jpg
800px-Kriegerdenkmal_am_Stadtpark_Bochum.jpg (110.78 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 27 Apr 2008, 15:46

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 28 Apr 2008, 20:16

Hey Adam...the links don't work for me....goes to a dead end (no pun intended).... :?
Rob

Fallschirmjäger

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 29 Apr 2008, 06:45

Are there any memorials to WW2 german dead in the rhineland area of germany,lik where operations veritable and varisty,battle of the reichswald etc..Like being in germany maybe more of a chance,and for the reichswald forest,are there any german WW2 cemetries there,like herd of allied ones,or are the germans killed in these battles buried elsewhere in the area,thanks.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”