Crazy Nazi inventions and schemes

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
guywalters

Crazy Nazi inventions and schemes

Post by guywalters » 22 Apr 2009, 17:40

I'm writing an article for the Daily Mail in the UK about crazy Nazi inventions and creations etc. The article is based on the back of story about 'Aryan Cows' (see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... itler.html) and my editor wants me to produce a list of some 12 similar items. So far, I've come up with these, some of which I know are highly dubious and probably internet rubbish, but this is work in progress.

• Nerve gases such as Sarin and Tabun
• Thalidomide (rubbish?)
• 1000-ton tank
• V3 supergun
• Flying saucers and Hans Kammler (i assume much of this is tosh)
• Nazis in Tibet
• Die Glocke (this looks highly suspect)
• Racial experiments
• Nuclear bomb (i'm ok on this)
• Sterilisation
• Carl Vaernet and 'curing' gays
• Astrology
• Brainwashing p. 233 Levenda
• Heck horses
• Olympic torch relay
• The postcode

Can any one think of any more? I'd be very grateful. Incidentally, my book on nazi hunting, Hunting Evil, comes out in the US and the UK in July, so will keep forum members posted on that (and will be offering signed and heavily discounted copies of course!)

Guy

Tony Fermor

Re: Crazy Nazi inventions and schemes

Post by Tony Fermor » 22 Apr 2009, 18:37

The Olympic torch is a true....

Search the BBC news website for the story by the actual torch bearer himself - and he still has the torch

guywalters

Post by guywalters » 22 Apr 2009, 18:39

Thanks for that. I fear that I must declare a good working knowledge of that specific topic because I wrote a book on the 1936 Berlin Olympics! However, around 2000 torches were made, one for each kilometre of the route from Olympia to Berlin....

best wishes

Guy

LWD

Post by LWD » 22 Apr 2009, 18:57

guywalters wrote:...
• Nerve gases such as Sarin and Tabun
They did indeed invent nerve gas.
• 1000-ton tank
They built a 100 ton tank. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_VIII_Maus
They had plans for larger ones but I doubt they had any intention of building them
• V3 supergun
I believe this has been a topic of a couple of thread here. It's not clear that it was ever officially called the V-3 but they did have a very interesting gun that is sometime called that. Again here is the wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-3_cannon
• Flying saucers and Hans Kammler (i assume much of this is tosh)
Numerous thread on this forum. Almost if not all garbage.
• Racial experiments
Depending on what you mean yes and no
• Nuclear bomb (i'm ok on this)
They were working on it but took the wrong path and weren't anywhere close. Again numerous threads here on it.
• Sterilisation
didn't invent it did practice it.

Frankfurter

Post by Frankfurter » 22 Apr 2009, 19:30

I think the ambitious "Wehrbauerndorf" (Wehrbauer = fighting/armed farmer, dorf = village) colonisation plans would fit into your list. There are many models and plans how the Nazi "net" would have looked like that was planned to be thrown over "Ostland". A loose, but somehow regular pattern of (rather good looking) villages inhabited mostly by SS veterans turned farmers.

Another one for your list: The gigantic "Breitspur" (wide-track) doubledecker trains planned for the conquered former UdSSR.

Or: the mega-battleships planned after the "Bismarck".

I dont know what you mean with "Glocke", "Thalidomide" and "Nazis in Tibet".

Read Giordano´s book "Wenn Hitler den Krieg gewonnen hätte. Die Pläne der Nazis nach dem Endsieg. (1989) ISBN 3-462-02944-4". I dont know if there is an English edition, but remember its full of "What if´s" based on temporary reality (especially plans made during the time of the great Nazi victories until late 1941)

Frankfurter

Post by Frankfurter » 22 Apr 2009, 19:33

And maybe you want to add Prora, the "endless" KdF-Hotel, which partly became reality:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seebad_Prora

LWD

Post by LWD » 22 Apr 2009, 19:59

It might help if you told us a little more about what you are looking for. For instance you might catagorize areas as follows:

1) Myth - no real evidence that the Germans had any intent or plans to build the. Such things as a fusion bomb, flying saucers, and such would be examples here.

2) Plans - Documents related to their construction exist - This could range from some of the early H class BBs which were quite buildable to some of the latter ones that were paper exercises. I suspect the 1000 ton tank fits in close to the latter.

3) Prototypes - Some hardware actually built. The Maus, and "V-3" cannon would fit in hear along perhaps with the largest 2 railroad cannon.

4) low level Produced - Some hardware developed and either stockpiled or issued. This are might include Nerve gas, IR sites for the Panther, etc,

5) Full production - Me-262, V-1, V-2, guided bombs, etc.

guywalters

Post by guywalters » 22 Apr 2009, 20:28

These all sound great, so many thanks! LWD: In terms of specificity, alas, I can offer none. I'm afraid this is a fishing expedition, and I'm hauling up everything from old boots to – thanks to you guys – finest trout.

LWD

Post by LWD » 22 Apr 2009, 20:56

Many of the things mentioned and probably a lot more have threads or are discussed on thread in the misc equipment forum.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewforum.php?f=20
Check it out a bit and or use the fourm search engine for more details.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 22 Apr 2009, 21:32

Nazi medical experiments are a great place to start - lots of "crazy" material there.

For a good source of Nazi "schemes" see Albert Speer's "Inside the Third Reich" - there you will find Dr. Ley discussing the invention of "death rays" and his book "Infiltration" which shows Himmler's various schemes such as making fuel out of pouring water over coal.

guywalters

Post by guywalters » 22 Apr 2009, 21:58

Top tip! I've just looked up the reference in the Speer book and it's hysterically funny. Speer ironically appoints Ley as 'Commissioner for Death Rays'. Aaah...the madness of Gotterdammerung.

guywalters

Post by guywalters » 22 Apr 2009, 22:03

nondescript handle

Post by nondescript handle » 23 Apr 2009, 10:07

guywalters wrote:[...] The article is based on the back of story about 'Aryan Cows' (see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... itler.html) and my editor wants me to produce a list of some 12 similar items.[...]
Easy.
1) Take something - anything really - that existed in Germany between 1933 and 1945.
2) Prefix it with "Nazi-" and claim that some Nazi-Figure had ordered it, or supported it, or was interested in it, or at least wasn't so opposed to it that his opposition is documented.
3) Done.

Heckrinder aren't "nazi-cows" or "aryian-cows" or "super-cows".
They're the result of a back breeding program started by the zoo directors of Berlin and Munich in the 1920s, because back breeding of extinct animals is something zoo directors are paid to do.

Regards
Mark

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 23 Apr 2009, 18:44

nondescript handle wrote:
guywalters wrote:[...] The article is based on the back of story about 'Aryan Cows' (see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... itler.html) and my editor wants me to produce a list of some 12 similar items.[...]
Easy.
1) Take something - anything really - that existed in Germany between 1933 and 1945.
2) Prefix it with "Nazi-" and claim that some Nazi-Figure had ordered it, or supported it, or was interested in it, or at least wasn't so opposed to it that his opposition is documented.
3) Done.

Regards
Mark
All too true, Mark.

Guy,

do a forum search for the Borghild project. That one will definitely sell on Fleet Street.

Best regards
Torsten
Last edited by Heimatschuss on 23 Apr 2009, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

manfred topfer

Post by manfred topfer » 23 Apr 2009, 18:45

You could try the Gustav and the Dora, both were actual inventions of enormous railway guns, the biggest ever seen. They were placed on railcars that covered TWO railway tracks. It took an entire battalion to run one of the guns. Another good bet are definetly the Panzer VII, VIII, IX, X.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”