Hitler, Jesse Owens and the 1936 Olympics

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Re: Hitler, Jesse Owens and the 1936 Olympics

Post by Maxschnauzer » 04 Jun 2014, 08:37

It's interesting to note that while the US Olympic team celebrated Jesse Owens, and rightly so, they pulled the team's only Jews, Sam Stoller and Marty Glickman (who later became a famous sports announcer) from the 4 x 100 meter relay the day before their race so as not to cause a commotion in case they won, or so it was alleged.
1936 - Stoller, Glickman, Robinson, & Draper.jpg
1936 - Stoller, Glickman, Robinson, & Draper.jpg (30.44 KiB) Viewed 654 times
The official explanation was that the Germans had reportedly concealed a pair of “super” sprinters and held them out of competition until the relay event. Therefore, more experienced runners were necessary to replace collegians Glickman and Stoeller. But to no one’s surprise, there were no “secret weapons” in Germany’s Olympic arsenal. Hitler’s best could manage only a
third-place bronze medal in the 4 x 100 relay.
http://www.jewishsports.net/BioPages/MartyGlickman.htm
Cheers,
Max

edda woolard

Post by edda woolard » 04 Jun 2014, 23:02

my uncle herman dethof was in the 36th olymis he was also an officer in the ss, his younger brother served the VIP`s in a big hall he also was a young ss officer, we have private photos of the olymics if anybody is interested

edda

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 04 Jun 2014, 23:39

You bet, we are all interested.

Thankyou for sharing.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 05 Jun 2014, 01:21

I wonder if there should not be a separate thread on the 1936 Berlin Olympics? Anyway, here's my two bob's worth. Back in the Sixties when collecting Nazi militaria - or even demonstrating an interest in that period of history - was regarded with great suspicion, I started buying bits and pieces (I was 15). When news of my interest leaked out, those of my friends who were still talking to me started sending odd items my way. A very good mate met a bloke (Australian) who had been at the 1936 Olympics and who had a souvenir. He had become friendly with one of the SA guards/ushers there and at the conclusion of the Games the SA bloke gave him his armband. Not only did he donate the armband, he also had it stamped with - I think - his unit or postal address or something similar. The stamp is still just discernible but I have no idea of how to protect it from the ravages of time. The guard gave it to the tourist, the tourist gave it to my mate thirty years later and my mate gave it to me. Quite a journey and no money changed hands.
Some years later a friend of the family (I married into a German family) saw the armband, listened to the story and then told me that as a Hitler Youth he had had something to do with the bell and belltower - moving or installing it, I forget which - but he had been severely reprimanded for doing a handstand on the edge of the tower. If you've seen how tall that tower is, you'd understand the reprimand.
Attachments
Olympics.jpg
The other badges are part of my small SA collection.
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Wessel

Post by Wessel » 05 Jun 2014, 12:55

Here's a photo related to the 'race' question, and shows Deputy Fuhrer Hess signing an autograph for an Indian hockey player at the 1936 Olympics. (Credit: Rudolf Hess: A History in Pictures, Arndt).
Attachments
RAD Hat 003.jpg
RAD Hat 003.jpg (59.98 KiB) Viewed 599 times

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”