Paris Blackout question

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
carablack

Paris Blackout question

Post by carablack » 04 Oct 2009, 18:52

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct spot and I apologize in advance

Was Paris any time during the Occupation under blackout restrictions? If so does anyone know the dates and details?

thanks,
Cara

irmgard

Re: Paris Blackout question

Post by irmgard » 10 Oct 2009, 00:17

There was a curfew,if that's what you mean. The times varied depending on the scource you read and the period of occupation and where you are in France. For instance, in the first year of the occupation the curfew was 10PM weekdays and 11PM Saturdays, last Metro trains ran at 9:30 (or 10:30). By the start of '42 they were tightened to 9PM. But the curfew was also extended for various reasons, zb Christmas of '40 it was extended to 1 or 2AM (I don't remember which). But as the war drug on, the curfew hours were tightened. During the winter of '42 when the sun set around 5 the curfew was 8PM. Where "local terrorist action" (resistance) was prevelant, it could be as early as sundown (6PM).

As far as blackouts, all occupied cities were under nighttime blackout restrictions, especially any that were within range of British and later, American bombers.

Randy

carablack

Post by carablack » 10 Oct 2009, 22:22

As far as blackouts, all occupied cities were under nighttime blackout restrictions, especially any that were within range of British and later, American bombers - Randy says.

Thanks, Randy. But would that mean from June 1940 after the Germans occupied Paris the lights were out in the city?
I've tried to find accounts and it seems nightlife went on as usual...did people need blackout curtains, were the streetlights off? Any help appreciated,
thanks
Cara

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 11 Oct 2009, 22:29

Hello Cara, and by the way, welcome to the Forum!

I was almost certain, from memory of having read it, that Paris was under blackout restrictions during the Occupation. However, the only direct mention of it I could find at a quick look was from Giles Perrault's Paris Under the Occupation (p. 160). And Perrault refers to "Blackouts" more in terms of complete power cuts because of shortages of coal and hydroelectric power--power cuts which also occurred during the daylight hours--rather than as air raid precautions. In case you don't have the book, I've posted the passage from Perrault below.

We have at least a couple of members here whose relatives lived through the Occupation. It would be great if one of them could comment on this subject.

Best,
~Vikki
Blackouts

Until 1943 Paris could count, more or less, on its regular supply of electricity. (In 1938 the capital had burned 476 kilowatts, as compared to 1943 when it consumed 442 million.) To supplement the yield of the seven coal-fired generators, the authorities tapped the hydroelectric power generated in the Massif Central. And it was the unusually low water level behind the dams that caused a total outage on the night of January 23-24, 1942. After that, strict economy reigned, which, because of the blackout, allowed little or no street lighting, a situation guaranteed nightly by meddlesome civil-defense wardens. It shut down certain Métro stations and forced all commercial theaters to close one extra day per week. Even this did not suffice, and by 1944 the power cuts had become longer and longer. In February no electricity flowed between 9 and 11 AM or between 2 and 5 PM, and in July domestic buildings received no juice at all during daytime hours, except for thirty minutes around noon. With power unavailable for driers, coiffeurs had to let their clients' hair dry outdoors. From then on, candles figured large in every prudent Parisian's bag of survival tricks.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”