Did Hitler despise alcohol?

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Torretta13

Did Hitler despise alcohol?

Post by Torretta13 » 07 Oct 2010, 07:12

or not? I have read conflicting accounts of Hitler's attitude toward alcohol. I am currently reading Heinz Linger's memoir, "With Hitler to the End." In it, Linge states that Hitler did not drink alcohol, but admitted to "having liked the taste of beer" in his younger days. Yet, I cannot recall any discussion of a young Hitler boozing it up with Kubizek, his fellow WWI soldiers, or with any of the homeless guys whom he shared the Vienna hostel with. I would imagine that if Hitler had been fond of alcohol at any point in his life, at least one of his biographers would have mentioned it, yes?

So, can you guys please help me resolve this question once and for all? Did Hitler abstain from drinking alcohol? Have you read or heard any evidence that he EVER enjoyed consuming alcohol? Someone I know told me that John Toland and Heinz Linge (while in Soviet captivity) both stated that Hitler enjoyed a cup of Schapps from time to time BUT: A-It has been a long time since I read Tolan's biography of Hitler, and I do not remember that aspect of it AND B-"The Hitler Book", is known to be rife with errors and misinformation, so IMHO, anything, which Linge said while being interrogated (IF indeed,he did say it) should be taken with a grain of salt.

[title changed to make it easier to read /Marcus]

ajwatson82

Re: Did Hitler despise alcohol?

Post by ajwatson82 » 09 Oct 2010, 02:07

From what I've learnt , Hitler didn't like alcohol ( and meat for that matter) but he often drank peppermint tea at night while he conducted his table talk and chamolie tea for breakfast. Hope that helps :)
A.Watson

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 11 Oct 2010, 01:54

Hitler generally abstained from alcoholic beverages, considering himself a teetoler. He told one of his secretaries that he got really drunk once as a lad and was discovered by some milking maids by the raodside while they walked with their cows. After that he never got drunk again and practically swore off alcohol. His father was an alcoholic, so Hitler knew that he had alcoholism within his family. He did not condemn drinking as an institution and allowed his staff to drink, offering wine, beer, and schnapps. Hitler never drank the hard liquors, prefering an occasional sip of champagne or wine. Hanfstaengl reports that in the 1920's, Hitler would have sips of beer during his long speeches but would never drain a glass. He also would occasionally drink "gesetszimmer" wine which Hanfstaengl offered him, until he caught Hitler ruining the stuff by putting sugar into it. Later on, as Fuhrer, he had a special 1% beer brewed for him. Hitler drank for taste, not effect, and a simple sip would suffice. For the most part, Hitler prefered teas and cakes.

Sources: Ernst hanfstaengl :"Hitler: The Missing Years"
John Toland : "Adolf Hitler"

hermitcrabs_rsquatters

Post by hermitcrabs_rsquatters » 11 Oct 2010, 14:36

I read somewhere ("The Hitler Book", i think) that Hitler drank liquor after a meal for his digestion.

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 11 Oct 2010, 15:44

J. Duncan wrote: Hitler ... would occasionally drink "gesetszimmer" wine
This wine is not existing :roll:
What do you mean for God's sake ? :milsmile:

Dieter Z.

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 11 Oct 2010, 16:30

Hello Doc,

Mr. Duncan is obviously a teatotaller himself so Gewürztraminer (or Gewürtztraminer as Hanfstaengl writes it) became a quite sobering Gesetzzimmer :lol:
Dieter Zinke wrote:
J. Duncan wrote: Hitler ... would occasionally drink "gesetszimmer" wine
This wine is not existing :roll:
What do you mean for God's sake ? :milsmile:

Dieter Z.
Hoch die Tassen!
Torsten

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 11 Oct 2010, 21:23

You got me guys....I was working from memory and screwed it all up! I better stay away from German unless I'm certain I know what I'm saying. Sorry.

pavel michalek

Post by pavel michalek » 11 Oct 2010, 21:50

There´s a legend in Czech Republic, that Hitler tasted Pilsen Beer with Prague Ham, while he stayed in Prague in 1939.

I wonder how much is this story true. Anyone knows more on this?

Boby

Post by Boby » 12 Oct 2010, 12:46

Pavel

This history is from Christa Schröder memoirs.

Boby,

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 12 Oct 2010, 14:31

I have seen the Finnish film of him having dinner with Mannerheim and he had a glass of beer with that !
Alan

sziszlow

Post by sziszlow » 02 Dec 2010, 21:29

J. Duncan gave a good overview of Hitlers attitude to alcohol. But just to add something pertinent,
Bruno Gesche was a Lieutenant Colonel of the SS and the commander of Adolf Hitler's personal bodyguard, and the guy was a drinker and a brawler. He was from the early days and a favourite of Hitlers. He drunk all the time he was commanding the bodyguard, and it obviously did not concern Hitler.

Himmler had a grudge against Gesche and wrote this about him:
"You are known to me as a notorious drunk from the year 1938, as well as from reports in recent years and months. Since I cannot tolerate drunks in the Führerkorps, I demote you."

He lost his posting but not Hitlers trust.
All things must pass...

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”