New Doc tells Life in the Third Reich, on HISTORY

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
nicritt

New Doc tells Life in the Third Reich, on HISTORY

Post by nicritt » 09 Dec 2010, 17:54

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks to Vikki, Matt and AHF - our production team has worked for two years on a documentary special on the Third Reich, and this site has proven indispensable to our research efforts. THIRD REICH: THE RISE airs Tuesday, 12/14 at 9pm EST, and THIRD REICH: THE FALL airs Wednesday, 12/15 at the same time. It is, one of the first, if not THE first, American cable documentary to attempt to tell the story of the Third Reich from the German perspective.

In an effort to create an authentic, immersive and evocative film experience, we used rarely- and never-before-seen footage, including many German amateur and family films. The information that is supplied regularly on this blog was, in a word, priceless.

Thanks very much, and I hope everyone can tune in!

Sincerely,
Nicole Rittenmeyer
Executive Producer, THIRD REICH: THE RISE AND FALL

reichpilot

Re: New Doc tells Life in the Third Reich, on HISTORY

Post by reichpilot » 10 Dec 2010, 05:37

Fantastic!! I have a note stuck to the TV. I'm looking forward to it! Thank you, Nicole, for the heads-up!

Don

zeek

Post by zeek » 10 Dec 2010, 08:03

Exactly what channel will this be on? I don't want to miss this.
Thank you. :milwink:
"In a man to man fight the winner is the one who puts an extra round in his magazine"
Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

JTG

Post by JTG » 10 Dec 2010, 08:34

Oh gWD.. not ANOTHER bunch of journal- dics?

nicritt

Post by nicritt » 16 Dec 2010, 02:29

Hi -- sorry for the delayed response! Third Reich: The Fall airs tonight at 9pm EST on the History Channel! Thanks for your support....

~nicole

tatner

Post by tatner » 16 Dec 2010, 04:26

Very interesting program. Thank you. I especially found the segment on Hitler's sister very interesting. The films were also very personal from the German family perspective.

I found the program first rate and well done.

Thanks again.

reichpilot

Post by reichpilot » 16 Dec 2010, 13:37

I thought it was a nice program. I mostly enjoyed the movie clips. I wish it was longer and with more detail. One thing I was surprised about was that the SA Purge was not mentioned. That had a wide-spread effect on many things in Germany at the time. Overall, very good and worth watching. Thank you, Nicole!

Don

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 16 Dec 2010, 20:39

That was an impressive documentary - I especially liked the use of not-seen-before or little-seen films, esp. the family films. Not the same old we've-all-seen-them-a-million-times Eva Braun films (although some EB films did sneak in there, but she wasn't mentioned).

This was much better than the re-run episode that aired just before, where the History Channel "explorer" is taken to several underground sites in Berlin, and acts like this is the first time these sites have ever been known or seen by the public. I hate those "documentaries" like that - where the producers act like they are showing some "secret" site or subject, that they discovered or that no-one else knows about. The History Channel, Discovery, and Nat Geo have far too many shows like that.

Geoff

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 17 Dec 2010, 16:50

I missed it!! **Can anyone find out when it will re-air? I went to the History Channel website and I can't find it. The HC is very frustrating in that it airs a show once and then won't say when it will be back on (repeated). It's not even highlighted as being a new show and is not listed under their subject list "Shows". Thanks. I really want to see this.

jaychicago75

Post by jaychicago75 » 17 Dec 2010, 17:37

I am also looking for information on when this program will air again. I searched the listings on History Channel's website, to no avail.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 17 Dec 2010, 21:41

I'm glad to hear you found AHF useful!

/Marcus

jaybee63

Post by jaybee63 » 18 Dec 2010, 20:41

In part 2 the Reich, Fall an eerie song plays during a scene showing footage of bombed out Berlin. Can anyone tell me the name of the song and who the the female vocalist is singing? Marlene Dietrich comes to mind, but I can't find it anywhere searching her name. Any help will greatly be appreciated. Many thanks...

HS-P87

Post by HS-P87 » 01 Apr 2011, 23:21

The source footage is great. The fake video effects of film leaders and scratches are annoying and repetitive.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”