Felix Steiner's aftershave

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
PiretBCN

Re: Felix Steiner's aftershave

Post by PiretBCN » 07 Feb 2013, 13:16

Martti Kujansuu wrote:
- Eau de Cologne, "33", 83 %
I think in the old days fragrances contained a lot more alcohol. They used to "burn" on the skin. Nowadays a lot of people use fragrances without alcohol (body mist). I can't imagine Steiner using body mist. :lol:

I also think that in the old days people who used perfume, used it more. Nowadays it's bad taste to reek of it. But I think it was more acceptable or even considered positive back then. Hence Degrelle's remark of a "well perfumed Steiner".

I also think Steiner was a vain man, maybe a bit "metrosexual" (definitely ahead of his time with that... :lol: ). I recently bought his book and there's a very nice photo of him with his hands in the pocket, maybe trying to look like a casual supermodel.

PiretBCN

Post by PiretBCN » 07 Feb 2013, 17:34

tolhurst wrote: Does anyone have the bill for a WW2 officer? That could solve the question of what it might have been...
I copy+paste from wikipedia: "Imprisoned until 1948, Steiner was cleared of all charges of War Crimes and after writing several books, died on 12 May 1966."

I understand he was the "guest" of the Brits after the war. Where exactly did you keep him? In a prisoner of war camp? In that luxurious castle you had in the countryside for senior German officers?

I am sure that place had lists of personal belongings of the prisoners...

PiretBCN

Post by PiretBCN » 07 Feb 2013, 17:38

The wikipedia in Spanish confirms this: "En mayo de 1945, con la rendición de Alemania, fue hecho prisionero por los Aliados, siendo liberado posteriormente por los británicos."

The question is: WHERE exactly did he live until his release?

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 08 Feb 2013, 09:04

tolhurst wrote:
Frech wrote:4711 was and is used by grannys. I don´t think Steiner did ....
It's a classic unisex perfume and your reaction suggests what age of person now might go for it. Men certainly use it, especially those old enough to have served in the war were using it in their older years.

Today, it is maybe seen in Germany (EDIT and Austria) a little like "Old Spice" might be seen in the UK by the grandchildren of those who were young men in the 1950s and 1960s.
No disrespect to grannies or veterans, but if Steiner wore 4711, he smelled like cat piss. When I reenact, I carry a bottle of it in my purse. From what I've experienced, neither german men nor frenchmen can stand the acerbic smell of it (as I can't). Works for the Resistance every time. :wink:

~Vikki

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 08 Feb 2013, 09:10

PiretBCN, you started this thread about Steiner's aftershave. Please stick to that subject, and post any thoughts/questions about his wartime imprisonment and post-war activities in a suitable related thread.

Thanks,

~Vikki

Florin1974

Post by Florin1974 » 27 Feb 2014, 23:00

PiretBCN wrote:
Helmut0815 wrote:
However a real aftershave was TARR, invented in 1931, so Steiner may have used this.
Does this TARR still exist? What did it smell like?

Hello fellow Axis historians! I've just registered in order to post this information, namely the fact that TARR is also still being produced in Romania and it's a very popular after-shave/splash lotion. It does smell a little "old school", but it is the favorite after shave of many men here because it's so fresh and it does what it's supposed to do.
I'm not sure I'm allowed to post a website reference here, so just google "tarr farmec" if you want more details ("Farmec" is the company, and the product is the one in a simple, red plastic flask in Google images).
I can confirm it smells great and works wonders when used with a traditional safety razor.

Tamino

Post by Tamino » 01 Mar 2014, 16:27

PiretBCN wrote:Léon Degrelle writes in his book that every time he met Felix Steiner, Steiner was in a good mood and well perfumed. Does anyone know which fragrance/aftershave Steiner used? Is it still being made?

Which fragrances were popular back then among senior officers? Are some of these fragrances still available and popular?
Frankly, Degrelle was probably alluding about either Steiner’s hidden drinking habits or hidden homosexuality.

At that time "Pitralon" was the most popular after-shave- Pitralon is produced also nowadays and sold in Germany, Austria and Switzerland..

PiretBCN

Post by PiretBCN » 27 Apr 2014, 18:43

Dear Tamino,
Steiner's drinking habits were not hidden. He talks about it freely. He usually had a drink with a soldier of any rank, if that soldier was awarded with the Knight's Cross. Also anyone who is in the type of battles like General Steiner was, has the right to have one or five drinks too many.
A man who is single and uses cologne is not necessarily gay. I will try to find "Pitralon". I am in Barcelona. Maybe I can buy it online.

Webdragon2013

Post by Webdragon2013 » 29 Apr 2014, 20:04

I think it's going to be hard to narrow down the exact brand as most of the companies who manufactured beauty products up until 1945 collapsed after the war.

But come on.
It's well known the Germans always had famous "Eau de Cologne". Kölnisch Wasser, this for 100 of years!!!
So German officers, often with noble pedigree, always used the best products to care for their appearance.
Whether its tailored boots, or expensive hair pomade, or any other products!

In fact this tradition among Prussian officers goes for a very long time!
You can see back to 1870 in the Franco-Prussian war, the officers were exactly the same.

As I understand...Most of the products were unique and not mass produced.
For example boots made of the finest leather in Italy or Germany or even France, some pomade brands from England, and of course the best Eau de Cologne from Germany (from Köln even? :D)

Eau de cologne / Kölnisch Wasser used by officer I imagine was so high level it was not "branded" but again made uniquely by craftsmen specialized in this from Köln [Cologne] in small family stores.

PiretBCN

Post by PiretBCN » 01 May 2014, 10:52

Thank you, Webdragon.
I bought a bottle of 4711.
http://www.4711.com/
I suppose they haven't changed the fragrance.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”