German POW (artist) at Istres

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
talerco

German POW (artist) at Istres

Post by talerco » 28 Jan 2014, 03:28

Hello All;
At the end of the war my Father spent 6 months at Istres Le Tube.
There was a fence around a neighboring German POW processing compound. He had a black book with about 30 pictures - he says of all his girl friends. All the pictures are of my mother.
Anyway, he said there was a German prisoner named Strieker. Soldiers like my dad would give him canvas from old cots and a pack of cigarettes over the fence and he would paint pictures. We have the one he did of my young and beautiful mother.
The pictures is signed 'Strieker'......I'm pretty sure that is the spelling.
Are there any records out there that might lead me to find Mr. Strieker or his family to thank them for the treasure.
Thanks, David

Annelie

Re: German POW (artist) at Istres

Post by Annelie » 28 Jan 2014, 15:35

That is going to be difficult but you could first ask questions about the camp.

http://www.kriegsgefangen.de/

thirdpotato

Post by thirdpotato » 21 Feb 2014, 06:38

This is the most adorable, sweet thing I have ever read. Do you have a picture of this painting to share? As an artist, I just love to hear about other artists during the war. There is something to be said about the artist-type as a soldier, and that whole idea just fascinates me. I would love to see if you can find more paintings by this man. That's incredible TuT Thank you for sharing.

hickey104

Post by hickey104 » 18 Sep 2016, 04:21

Hi david, I had a relative that was stationed in istres too and I have a painting from this mystery artist , id love to get in contact and share the painting and hopefully find out who this amazing artist was - peter (16) ireland

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”